New US Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I doubt you'll see any passenger cars with diesel going forward.
I'm happy to see the price point come down - article I read said the base model was in the neighborhood of $55K. Which is still a lot of money, but a big step in the right direction compared to the 200 series approaching $100K - not counting the insanity in car prices in 2020, 2021 where I saw a used one for well over $100K.

I like the look. The hybrid drive train will have to prove itself.

Here is another link to the new "250". Toyota's New Land Cruiser "250" Makes World Premiere | Toyota | Global Newsroom | Toyota Motor Corporation Official Global Website - https://global.toyota/en/newsroom/toyota/39526684.html

Here is an excerpt about what is offered in which country.

Powertrain characteristics​

PowertrainMaximum
output
Maximum
torque
PositioningDestination (Planned)
T24A-FTS Gasoline 2.4-liter turbo Hybrid Direct Shift-8AT243 kW
(330 PS)
630 N・m
  • High-end electric powertrain
  • In addition to off-road capabilities, improved acceleration and environmental performance across all power ranges, from initial acceleration to climbing and towing
North America, China
T24A-FTS Gasoline 2.4-liter turbo Direct Shift-8AT207 kW
(281 PS)
430 N・m
  • Mass-market gasoline powertrain
  • Smooth and powerful driving performance, a quiet ride, and environmental performance achieved through a newly developed TNGA powertrain
Middle East, Eastern Europe, etc.
1GD-FTV Diesel 2.8-liter turbo (48V system) Direct Shift-8AT150 kW
(204 PS)
500 N・m
  • High-end diesel powertrain
  • In addition to the characteristics of the 1GD, improved actual fuel economy in urban settings and traffic congestion
  • High-quality, quiet engine startup and smooth initial take-off
Australia, Western Europe
1GD-FTV Diesel 2.8-liter turbo Direct Shift-8AT150 kW
(204 PS)
500 N・m
  • Mass-market diesel powertrain
  • Improved ease of handling both on- and off-road through a combination of the 8AT* and 1GD, which has a reputation for good fuel economy and powerful driving performance
Western Europe, Eastern Europe, Japan, Middle East, etc.
2TR-FE 2.7-liter gasoline 6 Super-ECT120 kW
(163 PS)
246 N・m
  • High-quality, affordable basic powertrain
  • Improved ease of handling in normal driving
Eastern Europe, Japan, etc.

So close to the 70... yet so far...
The 250 Prado and the 70 almost look the same (semi-boxy vs rounded). Diesel vs Gas... Solid Axel vs IFS...etc...
Price point may be good, we shall see. I am guessing dealer markups will be in the neighborhood of 15 - 30k which will pretty much keep it out of many hands.
I still want the utilitarian 70. :)

LC2501.jpg
LC701.jpg

Yea, unfortunately in spite of better efficiency and less pollutants than the gasoline brothers. (due to higher emissions standards)
  • diesel re-introduction and diesel engines are more expensive
  • manufacturers make less on each model
  • less profit to manufacturers
  • Plus most Americans don't understand (the higher up front cost saves more in the long run)
  • Those that do have to suffer the curse of the "dumb dozers" who run too rich and balck smoke people.

I saw this quote the other day. "So much effort has been put into increasing the fuel efficiency of gasoline-powered cars that few Americans realize that the target mile per gallon rates gasoline powered car manufacturers are setting for themselves are milestones diesel car manufacturers already hit and surpassed. Examples of diesel’s fuel efficiency are stunning when compared to other vehicles. “Properly equipped, the diesel-slurping [Chevrolet] Cruze Sedan returns up to 52 mpg on the highway, meaning it’s more efficient than the Prius hybrid, the poster child of fuel efficiency,” boasts DigitalTrends.com in its 2018 article The best diesel cars you can buy."

If Mfg companies had made "promises in efficiency by 2030 they could have simply switched to Diesel and blown the doors off of electric promises of 2050. Heh they could have hit their "pledges" to do better. They could have spent time actually investigating and planning for electric or hydrogen or the next generation of vehicle while improving their effiency, lowering emissions, and even raising prices slightly to cover the MFG (which no one would notice compared to the electic vehicle costs)

Heh guess ya can't blame Toyota, gotta blame your neighbors who just want to go to the gas station and continue to pay more, polute more, and change vehicles every 5 years rather than owning a car with a purpose.

Sorry - off the soap box now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom