This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all

I just converted from Land Rover Discovery 3 to LC Cygnus 4.7 1999 70kms - due to my Disco having suspected crank snap

Was advised to visit this forum due to being petrol 4.7 LC100 model

I’ll use my LC Cygnus petrol for towing 3.5 tonnes nationwide for work purposes in the summer

I wanted to ask some questions to get me started if anyone would be able to help please? I’m hoping this forum is like the LR one and will have enthusiast happy to help people like myself

Am technically minded and did a lot of work on my old car so am confident I can do some DIY to the new LC

Firstly - I can’t see when the timing belt was done so I wonder is it easy to do or should I take it to a Toyota garage? I’ve done a timing belt before on two occasions so if it’s not a hard job I’m sure I can do it. What brand should I go for?

Is there a local indie to north wales / Chester area?

Any other parts I should renew now I’m the new owner to ensure it’s got what it needs?

My car doesn’t have a tow bar - I’ve just ordered one to bolt on so that’s hopefully sorted and I’ve located the wiring loom

Can these be mapped to improve MPG? As I’ll be towing fully loaded 3.5 tonne trailer and 5 staff nationwide I’d like to save on fuel if possible by mapping

Is there a specific code reader tool people use for Land Cruiser? My LR one was a GAP IID tool so I’d be looking for a similar phone app style decent plug if there is one for LC?
C24ADD44-FF53-4BC5-86DF-EE8D7EE3E1E5.jpeg

I’ll start with these and then throw more questions in as I progress

Thank you in advance!

Chris

Hi all

I just converted from Land Rover Discovery 3 to LC Cygnus 4.7 1999 70kms - due to my Disco having suspected crank snap

I’ll use my LC Cygnus petrol for towing 3.5 tonnes nationwide for work purposes in the summer

I wanted to ask some questions to get me started if anyone would be able to help please? I’m hoping this forum is like the LR one and will have enthusiast happy to help people like myself

Am technically minded and did a lot of work on my old car so am confident I can do some DIY to the new LC

Firstly - I can’t see when the timing belt was done so I wonder is it easy to do or should I take it to a Toyota garage? I’ve done a timing belt before on two occasions so if it’s not a hard job I’m sure I can do it. What brand should I go for?

Any other parts I should renew now I’m the new owner to ensure it’s got what it needs?

My car doesn’t have a tow bar - I’ve just ordered one to bolt on so that’s hopefully sorted and I’ve located the wiring loom

Can these be mapped to improve MPG? As I’ll be towing fully loaded 3.5 tonne trailer and 5 staff nationwide I’d like to save on fuel if possible by mapping

Is there a specific code reader tool people use for Land Cruiser? My LR one was a GAP IID tool so I’d be looking for a similar phone app style decent plug if there is one for LC?View attachment 3539844

Thank you in advance!

Chris
Hey man, to comment on stuff that should be replaced, I’m sure many people will say the same thing but HEATER T’s. Common failure point. Just check them religiously and replace if you don’t know the last time they were replaced. As far as the timing belt goes, I’m not sure how much work it is in comparison to how much work you’re willing to do. I’ve always had a shop do mine because I can’t afford to have my daily driver torn apart for long.

Welcome to IH8MUD. This place is an absolute gold mine. For example, im working through a list of nit-picky maintenance items (door locks, seat covers, etc.), and have saved close to $800 in the last few weeks just from tips on here.

LAST PIECE OF ADVICE. If your sunroof works, use it very often, or it will get stuck like mine. I just had to permenantly seal mine shut because I didn’t use it enough and it seized up. (Not willing to pay what it costs to fix a sunroof)

Hey man, to comment on stuff that should be replaced, I’m sure many people will say the same thing but HEATER T’s. Common failure point. Just check them religiously and replace if you don’t know the last time they were replaced. As far as the timing belt goes, I’m not sure how much work it is in comparison to how much work you’re willing to do. I’ve always had a shop do mine because I can’t afford to have my daily driver torn apart for long.

Welcome to IH8MUD. This place is an absolute gold mine. For example, im working through a list of nit-picky maintenance items (door locks, seat covers, etc.), and have saved close to $800 in the last few weeks just from tips on here.

LAST PIECE OF ADVICE. If your sunroof works, use it very often, or it will get stuck like mine. I just had to permenantly seal mine shut because I didn’t use it enough and it seized up. (Not willing to pay what it costs to fix a sunroof)
Trying to think of all the strange stuff that has happened to me, and I’ll update as I think of stuff. If your “P” light goes out, (or maybe it’s the R, can’t remember), it lights up every light on your dash and makes the car look like it’s having a heart attack. Simple fix though. Just fix the light. D light commonly goes out and has no symptoms though. Don’t replace it, it’s a sign that you’re in the club👍🏼

Welcome and beautiful truck!

Coming from a Rover, you'll likely find less local support in the UK but an even more engaged and enthusiastic international community. This forum is great. Definitely read all of the FAQs if you have not yet, plenty of useful info in there.

Regarding a code reader, almost any code reader works for the basics on these trucks, so you could just get a bluetooth OBDII reader and use your phone. However, I would recommend getting a Techstream cable ($35-40 USD) and downloading Techstream from the thread on this forum. That acts as a code reader, gives live outputs, can help with tasks like bleeding ABS system, and allows you to tweak preferences like security, auto telescoping steering wheel, door locks, etc.

As mentioned look out for heater tees. Also read up on the brake booster and ABS unit, while yours may be in good health they operate a bit differently than many other cars (at least from this era) and are pricey to replace.

I am not aware of any mapping changes that yield significant MPG gain at least while towing, but it may exist. The best thing I did for MPG was replace the fuel filter, air filter, clean MAF sensor, and clean throttle body. That, plus running tires that aren't too heavy for your application, should be good first steps in seeing your real life MPG from a clean slate. I would also replace your spark plugs and check the coils for cracks. Not only will it possibly help MPG, but it ensures that the plugs are properly tight, the plugs like to slowly walk out of these 4.7L heads if not properly torqued down! The above steps should only cost a few bucks and yield a more reliable and efficient truck as your starting point.

You may already know, but assuming parts are less plentiful than they are here in the US, PartSouq is a great resource for ordering OEM Toyota parts for the best prices. You could likely pick up heater tees, filters, and plugs from them for cheap.

Hi all

Is there a specific code reader tool people use for Land Cruiser? My LR one was a GAP IID tool so I’d be looking for a similar phone app style decent plug if there is one for LC?

Thank you in advance!

Chris

Congrats! Welcome to Mud.

I can't speak to the complexity of the timing belt, search on here or youtube for DIY stuff, there is a lot of good info. Toyota or AISIN parts.

There are a few FAQs on here, folks use the term 'baseline'. Essentially you'll want to change out all the fluids and filters, catching up on maintenance in case any deferred items and address any common failure points, although on these vehicle it's not much. Also scan the car for any trouble codes and address. If your Cygnus has AHC Heigh Adjustable suspension you'll want to flush the system and level it.

I've not heard of any tunes that increase mileage. Unfortunately these are thirsty vehicles with the 4.7.

You should just get the factory setup, Techstream. There is a thread on here about how to set it up... This is the cable I use, plug and play https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097YC5LSR?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Good Luck!

Congrats! Welcome to Mud.

I can't speak to the complexity of the timing belt, search on here or youtube for DIY stuff, there is a lot of good info. Toyota or AISIN parts.

There are a few FAQs on here, folks use the term 'baseline'. Essentially you'll want to change out all the fluids and filters, catching up on maintenance in case any deferred items and address any common failure points, although on these vehicle it's not much. Also scan the car for any trouble codes and address. If your Cygnus has AHC Heigh Adjustable suspension you'll want to flush the system and level it.

I've not heard of any tunes that increase mileage. Unfortunately these are thirsty vehicles with the 4.7.

You should just get the factory setup, Techstream. There is a thread on here about how to set it up... This is the cable I use, plug and play https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097YC5LSR?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Good Luck!
Thanks I’ll get that cable today then - looks like I download software to laptop to do readings. And thanks I’ll get the suspension flushed just need to find a local indie now!

Welcome and beautiful truck!

Coming from a Rover, you'll likely find less local support in the UK but an even more engaged and enthusiastic international community. This forum is great. Definitely read all of the FAQs if you have not yet, plenty of useful info in there.

Regarding a code reader, almost any code reader works for the basics on these trucks, so you could just get a bluetooth OBDII reader and use your phone. However, I would recommend getting a Techstream cable ($35-40 USD) and downloading Techstream from the thread on this forum. That acts as a code reader, gives live outputs, can help with tasks like bleeding ABS system, and allows you to tweak preferences like security, auto telescoping steering wheel, door locks, etc.

As mentioned look out for heater tees. Also read up on the brake booster and ABS unit, while yours may be in good health they operate a bit differently than many other cars (at least from this era) and are pricey to replace.

I am not aware of any mapping changes that yield significant MPG gain at least while towing, but it may exist. The best thing I did for MPG was replace the fuel filter, air filter, clean MAF sensor, and clean throttle body. That, plus running tires that aren't too heavy for your application, should be good first steps in seeing your real life MPG from a clean slate. I would also replace your spark plugs and check the coils for cracks. Not only will it possibly help MPG, but it ensures that the plugs are properly tight, the plugs like to slowly walk out of these 4.7L heads if not properly torqued down! The above steps should only cost a few bucks and yield a more reliable and efficient truck as your starting point.

You may already know, but assuming parts are less plentiful than they are here in the US, PartSouq is a great resource for ordering OEM Toyota parts for the best prices. You could likely pick up heater tees, filters, and plugs from them for cheap.
Thanks the plugs and filers and oils have been done already

I’ll look at these heater tees now - is it just a heating part or engine? Silly question maybe haha I’m no pro!

Trying to think of all the strange stuff that has happened to me, and I’ll update as I think of stuff. If your “P” light goes out, (or maybe it’s the R, can’t remember), it lights up every light on your dash and makes the car look like it’s having a heart attack. Simple fix though. Just fix the light. D light commonly goes out and has no symptoms though. Don’t replace it, it’s a sign that you’re in the club👍🏼
All lights work but the D doesn’t haha

Thanks! I was going to avoid using it as to avoid leaks but I’ll use it regularly then and grease up the sliders etc

Thanks the plugs and filers and oils have been done already

I’ll look at these heater tees now - is it just a heating part or engine? Silly question maybe haha I’m no pro!
Heater tees. I’d prescribe two of these part number 8724860460 every 90,000 miles. Do not buy fakes off eBay like me. Get them from Toyota directly.

Really cool rig you have there! Congrats on the 100 series and welcome! Treasure trove of knowledge here...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom