NEW to FJ40 and Toyota! Please answer a few Newb questions! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
fj.JPG

new to Toyota entirely, but just bought this refurbished FJ40 and have a few questions for an expert group! I usually try to do most of my own maintenance and would love a little insight on a few things.

1) Is there anyplace that has scanned/downloaded service manuals for an '83 FJ40. I don't even have an owners manual to tell me how many quarts of oil / antifreeze etc to put in. I don't need the aesthetics of having an original owners/service manual, I just need the info.

2) This FJ is from south america so has no heater! Gads. It does have added aftermarket air conditioning. So there are no defrost knobs, heater knobs nor a heater core. Any vintage air guys here that know how big of a deal to add a heater? There are no hoses from the water pump. Do I need a new water pump etc as well? Or do I just make this a summer truck?
IMG_6327.jpg

3) I own a Wrangler as well but notice this truck rides like a half loaded grain truck. Super stiff and rough and curiously turning right needs a bit more muscle than turning left. (I am replacing most of the tie rod boots since all cracked). I totally understand that it is an off road truck but the steering makes me question if one of the components is needing replacement (like the center arm module) or if hard turning right is a normal quirk of the FJ40.

4) I've looked for carpet on the inside of the '83 FJ40 but have only found one option at SOR nearing $500 with shipping. Seems a bit high compared to any other car I've owned. Any other options out there for reasonable good carpet?

5) I've pondered a hard top but adding it seems would run nearly $6-9K just for the parts and then need painting. WOW. Am I being misled? Or, is this something where, "if you wanted a hard top you should have bought a hard top to begin with" ?

I'd like to ask more but I don't want to overwhelm yet

Yes. From what I understand SA rigs had no heater. Hardtops are out there, not sure if things changed near the end of the run(‘83) for US Models as far as “would a ‘79 or later hardtop fit yours?” I see hardtops for between $2600-4000. frequently but most in that price range need fixing, paint, headliner, etc.....

Welcome aboard!

Yes. From what I understand SA rigs had no heater. Hardtops are out there, not sure if things changed near the end of the run(‘83) for US Models as far as “would a ‘79 or later hardtop fit yours?” I see hardtops for between $2600-4000. frequently but most in that price range need fixing, paint, headliner, etc.....
from my understanding they are exactly the same until '84 except the engine size throughout it's run

I would verify that before I bought a hardtop, perhaps @Living in the Past can chime in on this?

manuals:

yes tops are expensive... poor tops are not, but expect alot of work to get them nice

IMHO get to know your truck and see what is a priority before spending $$$$ of stuff thats just fluff... SA trucks are notorious for having neglected mechanicals... bring it to an expert and check it out (a TLC expert) goto local club and find guys who can check it out even

BTW its the rear doors that are an issue for an ambi door cruiser... (earlier are straight corners and later are rounded) but... since you have a SA truck... you better post up MANY more pictures as we can even look to see if the rear was assembled where you can accept a top

manuals:

yes tops are expensive... poor tops are not, but expect alot of work to get them nice

IMHO get to know your truck and see what is a priority before spending $$$$ of stuff thats just fluff... SA trucks are notorious for having neglected mechanicals... bring it to an expert and check it out (a TLC expert) goto local club and find guys who can check it out even
excellent, already something I learned! I did notice it had essentially NO antifreeze in it after the referb. I just filled it half and half. but has no thermostat. Literally everything looks NEW on this truck but obviously I cannot see the insides of the engine and transmission.

Where at in SD? There's a clubhouse on the western side of the state if I remember.

@Redgrrr might be in the neighborhood.

Also when I look at a Haynes repair manual it lists:
HAYNES REPAIR MANUAL USA -
Fits 1968-1982 FJ40, FJ43, FJ45 & FJ55 USA Models with 236.7 cu in (3878 cc) or 258 cu in (4239 cc) gasoline engines - 309 pages

WHY TO 1982 INSTEAD OF 1984??? I thought the FJ40 ended in 1984, so why does this manual supposedly not include my 1983?

That’s a nice looking 40 congrats! Yes @rkymtnflyfisher I’m in the southwestern corner of South Dakota in Rapid City.

Don’t let it eat salt all winter! Keep the soft top is my opinion, it looks good. Heater would be nice for defrost for cold spring and fall weather. Heck even summer nights!

We do have a TLCA club that’s based in the Black Hills with quite a few members. We have a meeting and trail runs once per month. Everything from crawlin in the dry creek beds to scenic runs. Let us know if you make it out to the hills in the 40.

That’s a nice looking 40 congrats! Yes @rkymtnflyfisher I’m in the southwestern corner of South Dakota in Rapid City.

Don’t let it eat salt all winter! Keep the soft top is my opinion, it looks good. Heater would be nice for defrost for cold spring and fall weather. Heck even summer nights!

We do have a TLCA club that’s based in the Black Hills with quite a few members. We have a meeting and trail runs once per month. Everything from crawlin in the dry creek beds to scenic runs. Let us know if you make it out to the hills in the 40.

If I use it only for the spring through fall I probably could keep the soft top. But I will need a heater! I don't suppose someone could supply a photo of where their heater hoses run on the engine to the firewall!?

Look no further than @Racer65 ‘s awesome reproduction floor mat. His stuff is just superbly done. My City Racer floormat is the nicest part of my 40.

Keep the soft top!

Put @orangefj45 and @cruiseroutfit on speed dial. Support Cruiser specific shops who keep this community thriving.

Look no further than @Racer65 ‘s awesome reproduction floor mat. His stuff is just superbly done. My City Racer floormat is the nicest part of my 40.

Keep the soft top!

Put @orangefj45 and @cruiseroutfit on speed dial. Support Cruiser specific shops who keep this community thriving.

what are the websites of the guys above!?
And, I keep hearing to keep the soft top! Is it because they are more rare or ?

there are a couple knobs on the bilateral dash. What is the purpose of those?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom