Toyota H engine, have a few questions about it. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mqx

Threads
Hi all, recently received an old Toyota H engine, going to attempt to rebuild it but need to know a few questions about it as I can find next to nothing online in any capacity.

1. Are the gaskets compatible with the 2h in any way? i can barely find any kits for the H but there are plenty around for the 2H
2. How can I identify when it was built, can find nothing online about how to Identify the H but same again plenty on how to do it for the 2H motor.
3. Are the sleeves the same as the 2H? These are rare to find for the H and need to know if i will be able to do so at all.

Thanks very much and have a merry Christmas :D

Max

Probably best to go visit the diesel section and research there. I had an H that the block cracked and I went with a 2H.

Jason
Answered lots of my question bar the ones I've put in the post, thought id ask in case anyone else had the same in the future.

Unfortunately were i am 2h engines are in high demand and super expensive and I received this H engine for free. Block is fine with no cracks in it.

Yea I have a H in the UK and finding parts is like looking for rocking horse sh1t.

At least you're in Aus which seems to be about the only place where they were ever common.

There are gasket sets for them on ebay from UAE and head gaskets in Australia, so you should find them.

I guess the engine number will give you an indication of age somehow - i know mine is 77 so if you have a number I could compare with mine.

The big cast in "H" on the side of the block tells you its aH engine ;)

Let's see some photos.
Good luck.

Last edited:
If you are up for importing from South Africa, we had a good number of H diesels here and this vendor has some parts like gaskets, sleeves, pistons, rings, etc - Leslie Prinsloo (@chasing_classic_cruisers) • Instagram photos and videos - https://www.instagram.com/chasing_classic_cruisers?igsh=MTd2ZjF5bzFuNTZ2eg==

You'll have to arrange your own shipping though. I know he does not ship overseas
Completely forgot about this thread and i didn't get a notification about your reply, thanks very much will give it a little look :D

Hi all, recently received an old Toyota H engine, going to attempt to rebuild it but need to know a few questions about it as I can find next to nothing online in any capacity.

1. Are the gaskets compatible with the 2h in any way? i can barely find any kits for the H but there are plenty around for the 2H
2. How can I identify when it was built, can find nothing online about how to Identify the H but same again plenty on how to do it for the 2H motor.
3. Are the sleeves the same as the 2H? These are rare to find for the H and need to know if i will be able to do so at all.

Thanks very much and have a merry Christmas :D

Max

1. I'm not aware of any common gaskets between the H and 2H
2. I'm not aware of any way to get to the year of an H from the Engine Number
3. The sleeves are different

I have some "H" related documents at my Diesel Doco site linked below - scroll down to "H (Engine) Specific Reference Information"

Reactions: Mqx
1. I'm not aware of any common gaskets between the H and 2H
2. I'm not aware of any way to get to the year of an H from the Engine Number
3. The sleeves are different

I have some "H" related documents at my Diesel Doco site linked below - scroll down to "H (Engine) Specific Reference Information"
Ah i see, those documents look perfect for what i need, thanks very much for your help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom