New tires on stock LC200: 275/70-18 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.aaronkmurray.com
Just thought I'd let everyone know that 275/70-18 fits fine on stock height LCs. The are about 1.6" taller than the stock 285/60-18, and only a fraction narrower.

image-874036537.jpg

image-1173117818.jpg

FYI:

If your new tires are P-Metric, then the new proper cold inflation pressure is 32psi F/R to maintain the same Load Limit as stock tires @ 33psi F/R.

If your new tires are LT tires, then the new proper cold inflation pressure is 40psi F/R in order to maintain the same Load Limit as stock tires @ 33psi F/R.

HTH

P.S. Which tires did you get?

ETA: Most folks' eyes start to roll up in their heads when I lay out all the math behind the numbers, but if you're interested I'll post it up.

Last edited:
Post away! I have a non-stock size as well and am curious how you calculated the proper psi.

in theory that's correct. But in the real world there is an even better way of determining the correct pressure for any given tyre with any given load in any given environment.. For instance A pressure suitable for a tyre on a rig at altitude in say an Arizona summer with a full load will be completely in appropriate for the same vehicle with same load on the coast of Maine in January.

The correct way of determining the appropriate pressure in any given circumstance is thus:

From cold the tyre should heat up by about 4 psi. If from cold the pressure increases by more than 4psi then your starting pressure is too low. If it heats up by less than 4 then your starting pressure is too high.. A little counter intuitive but there you go.. Change any variable and for optimal tyre performance, safety and longevity you may need to alter the pressure.

Just thought I'd let everyone know that 275/70-18 fits fine on stock height LCs. The are about 1.6" taller than the stock 285/60-18, and only a fraction narrower.

Thanks a lot !! That is great info, because it means that GY Duratracs will fit !!!!

So you went from 31.46 in to 33.16 in, that is a 1.6 in difference. Do you have any rubbing at all, at any condition?

Cheers,

MWL

Last edited:
FYI:
Which tires did you get?

Nitto Terra Grapplers. I wanted Cooper S/T Maxx but they are on 4-6 week backorder. I've run the TGs before on my Avalanche and they were great and lasted 40k miles...and they are relatively cheap - only slightly more that BFG AT KOs

So you went from 31.46 in to 33.16 in, that is a 1.6 in difference. Do you have any rubbing at all, at any condition?

No rubbing at all so far in street/parking lot driving. I'll find out about wheelin' rubs this weekend at Jamboree.

No rubbing at all so far in street/parking lot driving. I'll find out about wheelin' rubs this weekend at Jamboree.

Great, thanks a lot !!!

Please do post back here once you pass the Jamboree !!!

Cheers,

Post away! I have a non-stock size as well and am curious how you calculated the proper psi.

The stock tire from Toyota is a P-Metric tire - P285/60R18 114V - with a recommended cold inflation pressure (Tire Pressure) of 33psi Front/Rear.

Using the industry standard Load Limit / Tire Pressure tables published by The Tire and Rim Association, Inc. in their Tire and Rim Yearbook (http://us-tra.org/), we find that the Load Limit for those tires at that pressure is 2,520 pounds.

When using tire sizes different from the stock tire, it is important to determine the Tire Pressure in the new tire which will match the Load Limit recommended by Toyota - in this case that is 2,520 pounds.

Toyota probably use many factors to determine their recommended Tire Pressure such as fuel efficiency, ride comfort, etc. which may account for some increase/decrease in the recommendation; but the two major contributing factors are the Load Limit of the tire in relation to the GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating) for the vehicle and whether the tire is a "P" tire or an "LT" tire.

Since the vehicle in question is an SUV, if a "P" tire is specified, the tire's Load Limit must be increased by 10% to accomodate probable periodic increased loading when compared to use on a passenger vehicle. If an "LT" tire is specified, then no such increase in Load Limit is required.

In our example, since Toyota specified a "P" tire on an SUV, then the base Load Limit required for the Land Cruiser is approximately 2,291 pounds, but this number had to be increased by 10% to account for the use of a "P" tire on an SUV. This 10% higher number is the 2,520 pounds.

So, what do we know so far?

If you want to put a "P" rated tire on your LC200, then the Tire Pressure must be adjusted to realize a Load Limit of 2,520 pounds.

If you want to put an "LT" rated tire on your LC200, then the Tire Pressure must be adjusted to realize a Load Limit of 2,291 pounds.

We now know that soslo's new tires are the Nitto Terra Grapplers which are an "LT" tire - LT275/70R18 E 125S - Load Range E, with a Maximum Load of 3,640 pounds @ 80psi.

So, all we have to do is look up the LT275/70R18 tire in the Tire and Rim Association, Inc. Yearbook and find the cold inflation pressure that yields a Load Limit for that tire of approximately 2,291 pounds. According to those tables, a Tire Pressure of 40psi yields a Load Limit of 2,270 pounds - that was my recommendation. One could increase that recommendation by 1psi, if desired, which would result in a Load Limit of approximately 2,310 pounds.

If soslo had chosen a "P" rated tire like the BFG Rugged Trail T/A in size P275/70R18 (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Rugged+Trail+T%2FA&partnum=77TR8RUGTTAOWL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes) then we would look up that tire size in the tables to find a Tire Pressure that is close to the recommended 2,520 pounds. We would find that a Tire Pressure of 32psi yields a Load Limit of 2,535 pounds - that was my recommendation.

Basic facts you would need to know in order to accurately determine the correct cold inflation pressure for any tire for your vehicle:

OEM tire size
Is OEM a "P" tire or an "LT" tire
Recommended cold inflation pressure for OEM tire (on door jamb)
GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating) (on door jamb)

One final note:

When deciding whether a particular tire is suitable, half the GAWR can not exceed 94% of the Load Limit of that tire.

Eyes rolling yet? :grinpimp:

HTH :cheers:

Thanks a lot !! That is great info, because it means that GY Duratracs will fit !!!!

Cheers,

MWL

I hope this helps many others. Even though I still do not have my LC, here is some info. I went to each of them tires web pages, so for 275/70-18:

Nitto Terra Grappler: Diameter: 33.27 Width: 10.94
Discoverer S/T MAXX™: Diameter: 33.4 Width: 11.05
Duratrac: Diameter: 33.4 Width: 11.00

I suspect any of these three tires will fit without any lifting and/or rubbing.

Cheers !!!

Last edited:
No rubbing on the trails :)

Nice!!!!!

Thanks a lot. That means that either Nittos, Coopers, or DuraTracs will work...

Now the question is if either of these tires will look good in a LX570...!!! ;)

Cheers.

I wanted the Coopers...but they are on 4-6 week back order apparently. The Nittos are a fine A/T that I've had before, but I've heard nothing but good things about the new ST maxx

I wanted the Coopers...but they are on 4-6 week back order apparently. The Nittos are a fine A/T that I've had before, but I've heard nothing but good things about the new ST maxx

Aaron, the DuraTracs are performing incredibly. I think you saw them at the Round-up. Gripped like glue at the Jamboree.

image-308500733.jpg

image-308500733.jpg

Nice!!!!!

Thanks a lot. That means that either Nittos, Coopers, or DuraTracs will work...

Now the question is if either of these tires will look good in a LX570...!!! ;)

Cheers.

I cannot remember the exact size, 275/60/20 I believe, but I am running Toyo Ope Country AT II's on my Lx 570 with no rubbing.

They are 32.9" and look great. Also, they fit in the spare tire well

do the Toyo AT's or the BFG AT's fit in the 285/65-R18's with no rubbing under full compression with no lift?

Just on paper specs, but they should not rub if we follow the logic of this thread:

BFG All-Terrain T/A® KO: Diameter: 33.2 Width: 11 (on 8" rim).
Nitto Terra Grappler: Diameter: 33.27 Width: 10.94
Discoverer S/T MAXX™: Diameter: 33.4 Width: 11.05
Duratrac: Diameter: 33.4 Width: 11.00

Funny, I have priced all of these, and the BFG are the cheapest option of all. It is also very true that the Coopers are in a 1 to 3 months backorder, but they are around $300 more final total cost.

I have had Duratracs and Coopers ATP before, both great tires. Will see...

Hope this info helps anyone out there.

Cheers,

do the Toyo AT's or the BFG AT's fit in the 285/65-R18's with no rubbing under full compression with no lift?

Anyone running 285/65/20? Wanted bfg's because I have had great experience with them. Size equivalent is 34.7 and 11.4 wide.

When tires are XL (extra load rated) not E load rated... and also not P rated... what are they to be considered for inflation purposes, follow the psi guidelines for passenger tires on the Tire and Rim Association page? Presently have the Dunlop P rated tires on the rig that came from the factory. Very soft and they definitely contribute to some roll. Will I notice an improvement in handling with the XL rated tires (TG G2 / AT/3's), less roll or do I need to go up to the E load tires? Thx S1

I just went with 275/70/18 Duratracs. I have a 2" lift on the front. I had rubbing on the front mud flaps, but nothing that a box cutter couldn't fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom