New thermostat = New coolant leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last week finished up a radiator replacement including thermostat, gasket, hoses, etc... and have now found a coolant leak that wasn't there before.
2013-08-25 22.07.41.jpg
2013-08-25 22.09.58.jpg

I can't tell exactly where it's coming from. It is only leaking when hot and driving. Have not been able to reproduce it sitting in the garage with wife revving the engine.
#1 looks like it is on the water pump on seam between where the heater pipe and bypass outlet connects to? Is there a gasket there?

#2 Could also be the water bypass outlet where attached to water pump? Are either of these more common, or am I just looking at replacing all the associated gaskets/o-rings?

I only replaced the thermostat and its gasket, didn't go any deeper than that into the water pump.

Thanks in advance!

2013-08-25 22.07.41.jpg

2013-08-25 22.09.58.jpg

I had the same leak, I replaced the water bypass pipe with a new one. I did all 3 o-rings for good measure.

It's a short aluminum pipe with 2 o-rings on it that will probably be mangled on removal. Half of it sticks in the housing and the other half protrudes for the larger pipe to fit over.

It was a b*tch to get out. I used 2 flat head screw drivers.

image-3615093781.jpg

I had the same leak, I replaced the water bypass pipe with a new one. I did all 3 o-rings for good measure.

It's a short aluminum pipe with 2 o-rings on it that will probably be mangled on removal. Half of it sticks in the housing and the other half protrudes for the larger pipe to fit over.

It was a b*tch to get out. I used 2 flat head screw drivers.
It looks like I have the same leaking problem that you had yohavos. Do you know the part #'s for the fix?

WP_000970.jpg

Tough to get apart - use patience and wiggling. But you will not believe how flat the old O rings will be.

DefIntely looks like your o-rings need to be replaced. I did this about a year ago after having the same leak, I don't recall it being very difficultimate to do.

Had this leak on mine. When I took it apart the small inner aluminum pipe (16268-66010) was stuck inside of the big bypass pipe (16351-66010). I couldn't get it apart so just replaced the 2 o-rings and its been fine for several years. If I had to do this again I would probably order both pipes and 3 o-rings.

does anyone know off hand what the torque spec is for the two bolts when i put the heater bypass pipe back on is? Thanks

Just installed a new by-pass pipe yesterday. Definitely replace it. Mine had pits where the O-ring rides. Pipe is p/n 16351, O-ring at the engine head end it 16351A, the short tube is 16268 and O-rings for the short tube are 16268F. Mine no leaky anymore. Have fun!
Last week finished up a radiator replacement including thermostat, gasket, hoses, etc... and have now found a coolant leak that wasn't there before.
View attachment 797703
View attachment 797704

I can't tell exactly where it's coming from. It is only leaking when hot and driving. Have not been able to reproduce it sitting in the garage with wife revving the engine.
#1 looks like it is on the water pump on seam between where the heater pipe and bypass outlet connects to? Is there a gasket there?

#2 Could also be the water bypass outlet where attached to water pump? Are either of these more common, or am I just looking at replacing all the associated gaskets/o-rings?

I only replaced the thermostat and its gasket, didn't go any deeper than that into the water pump.

Thanks in advance!

37AC0070-4AB2-47D5-B213-2554D3147F5B.jpeg
So I think I just discovered the same if not a similar leak (while adding oil because of my lovely valve cover leak). Will someone kindly confirm I’m looking at replacing pipe p/n 16351, O-ring at the engine head end it 16351A, the short tube 16268 and O-rings for the short tube are 16268F? Anyone have any better pics of this and where the pipes are located?

Thanks,
Rick

Just installed a new by-pass pipe yesterday. Definitely replace it. Mine had pits where the O-ring rides. Pipe is p/n 16351, O-ring at the engine head end it 16351A, the short tube is 16268 and O-rings for the short tube are 16268F. Mine no leaky anymore. Have fun!

I am on the computer ordering these parts 3 O rings are identical

Jumping in on this thread with a "Me too..." But I'm a DIY'er only to a certain extent - is this really just 2 bolts and the o-rings like it looks like?? (don't freak out about the coolant color. Accidentally mixed a universal with the Yota red. Coolant flush coming next!) And if I replace the pipe, is that a Toyota only part?

%jMNQdE%Sd2GK6h29cM%AQ.jpg

Yes its pretty simple to remove. The hardest part is going to be removing the short pipe from the end of the bypass pipe. The 2 old orings will act like glue holding the 2 parts together. I would pull it apart and see the condition of the parts before ordering new ones...assuming they are still available. You might just need to clean them well like I did. If yiu have serious pitting in the alumunum then replace them. Those parts are toyota parts.

Jumping in on this thread with a "Me too..." But I'm a DIY'er only to a certain extent - is this really just 2 bolts and the o-rings like it looks like?? (don't freak out about the coolant color. Accidentally mixed a universal with the Yota red. Coolant flush coming next!) And if I replace the pipe, is that a Toyota only part?

View attachment 1787789

dont lie you know you used the new pumpkin spice coolant commonly sold at all walmarts and kroger stores

Yes its pretty simple to remove. The hardest part is going to be removing the short pipe from the end of the bypass pipe. The 2 old orings will act like glue holding the 2 parts together. I would pull it apart and see the condition of the parts before ordering new ones...assuming they are still available. You might just need to clean them well like I did. If yiu have serious pitting in the alumunum then replace them. Those parts are toyota parts.
So is the actual issue really just the o-rings failing? And not necessarily the pipes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom