New tech for monitoring OBD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been the proud owner of a high-mileage 1999 LC for just over a week, and the check engine light started flashing at me today. I'm just starting to learn the ins and outs of maintaining a LC, so I dropped it off at a local mechanic and will find out tomorrow what the problem is. Based on some Mud threads I read this afternoon, I'm guessing one of the cylinders is misfiring, but that's not really the point of this thread.

The next time my check engine light comes on, I'd like to have a tool to check OBD2 code(s) myself rather than drive straight to a mechanic, so I'm looking into the best tech for monitoring OBD and would like to know what you all think since you definitely have a lot more experience than I do. The options I'm considering are:

-Wired OBD2 scanner: Autel AutoLink AL319 or similar
Pros: can be cheap (unless you buy a "professional" model); straightforward and proven
Cons: not as convenient as the other options, no additional features​
-Bluetooth or Wifi OBD2 scanner: Veepeak Mini WiFi OBD2 Scanner or similar
Pros: cheap; easily send OBD2 codes to your smart phone, which can use a variety of apps to interpret the data
Con: a very small but vocal minority of users have reported these devices have permanently damaged their vehicle​
-Smart car device: Automatic, Verizon Hum, or Zubie
Pros: monitors OBD2 and does a lot more (crash detection, trip tracking, maintenance tracking/reminders, and more, depending on which one you choose)
Cons: expensive (most charge monthly or annual fees), reviews say the customer service isn't great​

Thanks in advance for your advice.

It looks like the link in that thread no longer works, but I found this one on Amazon. If I'm reading the comments correctly, you can only use this with a PC running Windows XP, so it's not an option for me.

It does require some sort of Windows (XP or newer), the older versions only supplied a 32-bit windows driver for the cable. There are a number of tutorials that walk you through loading a 64-bit (windows) driver for the cable.

I've run it on an old XP laptop, a virtual (Windows) machine on a MacBook, and natively on a Dell Windows tablet.

IMG_9017.PNG

ScanGauge II is another option. Let's you monitor your truck as well as scan OBD II codes.

You're a new forum member, don't think you have enough posts to allow editing yet. Don't know how many you need, maybe someone else knows.

-Bluetooth or Wifi OBD2 scanner: ...minority...permanently damaged their vehicle:

In my (limited) forum travels outside of mud, have not seen any reference to damaged vehicles. Can you enlighten us as to further readings on this?

Am interested because I have one of those BT OBD gizmos.

-Bluetooth or Wifi OBD2 scanner: ...minority...permanently damaged their vehicle:

In my (limited) forum travels outside of mud, have not seen any reference to damaged vehicles. Can you enlighten us as to further readings on this?

Am interested because I have one of those BT OBD gizmos.
I don't know if these reports are accurate, but I've seen at least a half dozen like this one on Amazon: DO NOT LEAVE PLUGGED IN

You're a new forum member, don't think you have enough posts to allow editing yet. Don't know how many you need, maybe someone else knows.
Maybe 10 is the magic number. I can now see options to Edit or Delete posts; prior to today, I could only Report posts.

Torque (the $5 version) or TIS here.

I'm interested in folks recommendations on this as well. Can you also comment on if you're using Android or iPhone? I've heard good things about Torque, but I think it's android only. I'm looking for an alternative to the Automatic Pro that works with iPhone and is cheaper. Those things go for $129 or $79 for the "Lite" version.

I use a bluetooth mini ELM-327 adapter and Torque Pro running on my
Android phone. I leave the ELM-327 plugged in all the time.
No problems.

Also have the Techstream interface that I seldom use with my
$40 Windows 10 Tablet. The reason I don't use Techstream that
much is that booting windows in a PAIN IN THE ASS!!

Torque Pro is well worth the $5.00 app purchase, and the ELM-327 mini
is well worth the $10 too.

I've had a few of the Scantool brand OBDLX Bluetooth adapter over the last 5 years or so coupled with the Torque App on a couple of Android phones.
Amazon.com: ScanTool 427201 OBDLink LX Bluetooth: Professional OBD-II Scan Tool for Android & Windows: Automotive

This has been a great setup for troubleshooting a CEL and for monitoring engine statistics (fuel trims, transmission temperature, load, timing, fuel flow, coolant temperature, MAF volume, etc...) I will admit, one of my OBDLX adapters has spotty Bluetooth connectivity and will not connect to my phone at times. The other adapters work flawlessly and I've left them plugged in for months at a time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom