new stereo - confused about bypassing amp (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,

I've searched around quite a lot but can't quite find my answer. I bought a new Pioneer head unit and would like to bypass the factory amplifier and have the head unit power the 4 main door speakers in my 97 Land Cruiser.

This is the harness that Crutchfield sent me (along with the pioneer harness):

Ur3V2aL.jpg

If I wire those two together, can I just unplug the factory amp in the passenger side dash and be good to go?

I've seen other members that had a dual plug harness that plugged into two gray connectors in the dash. Mine is just this single harness with the 4 RCA plugs as you can see.

Did I get the wrong harness? Do I need another one if I'm bypassing the stock amp?

Did I get the wrong harness?
Yep, wrong harness. You got the one for USING the factory amp, not bypassing it.

Others will chime in on the correct harness you need.

I went down this path, but was very disappointed with the sound quality and ground noise. I went the other route and bypassed the amp completely. The only drawback from that is you lose the front kick speakers and sub if you have one. But I would definitely suggest the bypass. Sound quality is soo much better. You could probably parallel the door and panels speakers, but that might kill the amp on the deck. If you want to get it done right, check out Audiomobile in Oakland. One of the owners also has a 97 Cruiser.

OK great thanks. I'll order that other harness.

Does this mean I don't use the RCA inputs?

so the metra will thusly give you full speaker / fade / balance control -

because the knee and roof speakers are wired in parallel with the doors (thus changing the ohms)
some suggest - unplugging them - to thusly not overload your h/u -

I have not done such and have had zero problems...

I would though recommend pulling the entire rear sub / speaker / amp (whatever) tis useless anyways.

the RCA are for if you want to add an amp (although there are amps that do accept speaker level inputs)

for me - I indeed ran a set of RCA - to a small amp (under my DS seat) to a small sub I built to put in the back.

anywho - see you be in the bay area - if you need more detailed help - just drop me a line...

Bf

because the knee and roof speakers are wired in parallel with the doors (thus changing the ohms)

I would though recommend pulling the entire rear sub / speaker / amp (whatever) tis useless anyways.

the RCA are for if you want to add an amp (although there are amps that do accept speaker level inputs)

for me - I indeed ran a set of RCA - to a small amp (under my DS seat) to a small sub I built to put in the back.

anywho - see you be in the bay area - if you need more detailed help - just drop me a line...

Bf
I unplugged the knee/dash speakers while I was in there. I also unhooked the rear whatever speaker, it was giving me some weird feedback/noise in the back speakers.

Bf

Cool thanks man. If I can't figure it out tomorrow night I'll let you know. Hoping to get it wired up before I drive to Tahoe Friday night!

I assume the wiring will be obvious? Match color to color kind of thing? Is the blue/white sensor wire used?

you got it - color to color....there might be a left over wire (for steering wheel controls) -
your pioneer manual should give you good reference too....

I likes to do the generic "bullet" connectors (from home depot) so one can remove the metra from the aftermarket harness....

again should you needs RTH - just send me a message - I can send you a large / blow up pic
of how my harness is wired up....

mud has always been helpful to me - am more than happy to pay it forward...

Bf

indeed - junk it !!!

Amazon.com: Metra 70-1761 Radio Wiring Harness For Toyota 87-Up Power 4 Speaker: Car Electronics

there are 3 OEM plugs - the metra uses the 2 smaller -

you then connect it to the aftermarket h/u plug...

also - make sure to fully unplug the OEM amp
(easy access - just pull down the glove box and bobs your uncle)

Bf
1997 FJ80
I have taken my dash apart so many times for this, I can disassemble it in less than 3 minutes. I have tried using the one big adapter (that goes to the amp), and unplugged the amp. No sound out of the speakers. Plug amp back in and get sound. Then I bought the two plug adapters that plugs into the two grey ones. No sound out of the speakers. So I should get sound if I plug in the two grey ones and FULLY unplug the amp? I am beyond frustrated that I just left the plug that goes to the amp with the amp plugged in just to get sound. I want the best sound possible since I bought a double-din Kenwood and installed the Polk speakers everywhere. Thanks for any input.

1997 FJ80
I have taken my dash apart so many times for this, I can disassemble it in less than 3 minutes. I have tried using the one big adapter (that goes to the amp), and unplugged the amp. No sound out of the speakers. Plug amp back in and get sound. Then I bought the two plug adapters that plugs into the two grey ones. No sound out of the speakers. So I should get sound if I plug in the two grey ones and FULLY unplug the amp? I am beyond frustrated that I just left the plug that goes to the amp with the amp plugged in just to get sound. I want the best sound possible since I bought a double-din Kenwood and installed the Polk speakers everywhere. Thanks for any input.

You need to run new speaker wires between the harness that came with your radio and where the factory amp is. Have you done that?

This thread might make things clearer...
LX450 Stero wiring

I got:
  • new sony head with sub outs mex-n5100bt
  • new pioneer speakers all around
  • new kenwood powered sub ksc-sw11
If your head unit has sub outs and you have a powered sub you don't really need an amp for definitely good-enough sound. Not sure if I really needed an amp to drive my new 6.5" pioneers; it sounds plenty good as is.

1994 FZJ80

You need to run new speaker wires between the harness that came with your radio and where the factory amp is. Have you done that?

LX450 Stero wiring

The above is only applicable for the LX450 and does not apply to the Land Cruisers.

1997 FJ80
So I should get sound if I plug in the two grey ones and FULLY unplug the amp?

Yes this is correct.

LX450 Stero wiring

The above is only applicable for the LX450 and does not apply to the Land Cruisers.

1997 FJ80
So I should get sound if I plug in the two grey ones and FULLY unplug the amp?

Yes this is correct.

Yeah, I stand corrected. I assumed that you'd have to jump from the new head unit to the amplifier, but in looking at wiring diagrams right now, it appears Toyota wired it so that output to speakers are available at the radio harnesss AND the amplifier harness.

Front Left (-) --> Purple (Pin 6 on R1A Gray)
Front Left (+) --> Pink (Pin 2 on R1A Gray)

Front Right (-) --> Cyan (Pin 5 on R1A Gray)
Front Right (-) --> Green (Pin 1 on R1A Gray)

Rear Left (-) --> Yellow (Pin 6 on R3B Gray)
Rear Left (+) --> Black (Pin 2 on R3B Gray)

Rear Right (-) --> White (Pin 3 on R3B Gray)
Rear Right (+) --> Red (Pin 1 on R3B Gray)

Is that how you have them connected?

1997 FJ80

There must be something different about the 97, I have done this on my 96 with no issues. My 97, using the gray plugs has no sound also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom