Turn signal kills stereo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Stiles

Threads
1990 HDJ80 1HDT 12v

Continental aftermarket stereo. Operating turn signal or windows will randomly turn off my stereo. But it just cycles right back on. Sometimes it'll die on its own. High volume seems to exacerbate the problem.

The stereo in here before was fine. And this Continental worked great in an F250.

Have rewired stereo harness. Not sure at all where to start troubleshooting??

For t-shooting purposes, one option is to isolate the power in to the unit and run a dedicated positive wire from the battery to the radio and see if you have the same issues under the same circumstances.

1990 HDJ80 1HDT 12v

Continental aftermarket stereo. Operating turn signal or windows will randomly turn off my stereo. But it just cycles right back on. Sometimes it'll die on its own. High volume seems to exacerbate the problem.

The stereo in here before was fine. And this Continental worked great in an F250.

Have rewired stereo harness. Not sure at all where to start troubleshooting??
Look for ground wire issues.

I discovered my radio would lose tuner signal when I placed the truck in reverse. Apparently it created a grounding issue when the backup lights came on. No, I don't have any LED lights or anything odd.

I discovered that I was missing the bolts holding the antenna in the RF fender. I installed the bolts and the problem went away.

Direct power from battery solves cut-out issue.

Direct power from battery solves cut-out issue.
Remember, the 80 series are negative ground electrical systems. That means unless you have a dedicated ground, you won't get a complete circuit. If you can run a new hot lead and get power, the ground circuit in the old path is broken. I wouldn't leave it that way; you may have solved your stereo problem, but since the stereo doesn't operate off the clockspring (unless you have added steering wheel controls), there's another problem in there waiting to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom