New Speakers and Subwoofer Options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all! I recently purchased a 2004 100 Series and I love it. I've been sorting out things like check engine lights and rust, so I decided to take some time for a luxury item as well. My sound system is blown. If there is any bass in a song, it sounds like someone is rattling a box of fishing weights near the subwoofer and passenger side dash. I assume music was just played too loud too long. Since it is only a sound system, I'm not looking to pour an absurd amount of money into speakers, but also I like my music. Any advice on where to get replacement speakers, OE, or aftermarket would be appreciated. Also, I have no idea how to access the speakers, so advice there is definitely needed. I think I'm going to need to get to the front door speakers, definitely the sub in the rear, and if there's anything in the dash itself, that too. Thanks!

Some folks replace—there are a few best fit options out there to replace stock with minimal modifications.

Other folks use refoam lots from simplyspeakers.

I just redid my door speakers this week with some cheap replacements, and there is a world of difference. There were a couple of right ups in these forms, but most of them seemed outdated with that photo links. YouTube videos were the biggest help.

I opted to refoam my GX Mark Levinson system, which is very similar to the LX with the simplyspeakers kit. The problem that you can run into is the requirements the amp has with speaker impedance, and how the ML system uses 8ohm speakers as opposed to the more common 4 ohm car stereo variety. Instead of hoping my aftermarket speakers would fit, and not cook the rather expensive OEM amp, (which is so integrated in the vehicle,it can't be upgraded to non-OEM) I chose the simplest route. Run what it came with. I am not disappointed that I did.

Is your 100 equipped with nav and Mark Levinson or is it a more basic model? You may not have the hurdles I did.

I went a different route than most it seems. I did Skar components with 5 channel amp. Hid the single din kenwood in the armrest where the cd changer went. Everything runs off my iPad. Sound is absolutely perfect.

D0B7FAA2-FF28-4F4F-8774-0F405DBC565A.jpeg

9A759B58-E5A9-4B12-AB31-C14611CF5572.jpeg

B76D7577-6388-4419-BCD0-083C83E557D6.jpeg

14AAB3F3-91B2-4651-BBA1-8722B8519B7E.jpeg

2E00C29B-8457-4180-B617-C0E53F4614AE.jpeg

Wow, that’s an intense setup! Seems a shame to hide the aluminum pole piece in the door mains. What part is that in the rear cargo area, an amp? I’ve never seen one that long and skinny before.

Wow, that’s an intense setup! Seems a shame to hide the aluminum pole piece in the door mains. What part is that in the rear cargo area, an amp? I’ve never seen one that long and skinny before.
Yeah, it's the amp. I was surprised when I opened the box and saw it. I didn't pay no mind when I ordered it. It worked out perfectly though.

Skar RP-600.5

Mine has the nav. but no fancy speakers. Just the standard JBL stuff. I'm thinking of just refoaming them for the simplicity though

Eh just rip it all out. Start from scratch, keep upgrading, keep re tuning, and never be satisfied never stop spending money like the retards among us.

I re-foamed my two front speaker this past year. The kit is $25 and it's so quick and simple. Over the drone of my resonator delete, the whistle of the lights on my roof rack and the howl of my mud terrain tires, the stock speakers sound fantastic!

Refoamed all the speakers (SimplySpeakers.com) ... including stock sub,
Mids and highs sounded decent, but bass still sucked.

SAS Bazooka 8" 8ohm DVC tube driven off stock Subwoofer amp (2 channels) sounds really good.
You get the "secret bass" that most stock systems lack. Bumps pretty good, but not a window rattling amount.
Just enough to make long drives enjoyable again.

*Kept the Bazooka Tube on a switch to I can power the stock sub again in case I have to remove the Tube for whatever reason.

**Nestles perfectly between the sliding fridge and back seat.

SAS1.jpg

SAS5.jpg

SAS6.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom