New Rules for Classic auto emissions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have asked the same question, and the only answer I get from people in the auto hobby groups is that it falls within their guidelines. They have granted this same waiver in other states, and also have granted waivers in Arizona for things like motorcycles.

When it comes down to it, only time will really tell.

74 and older rule.

The governor signed SB1324 yesterday. Looks like all we are waiting on now is the waiver from the EPA.

AZDEQ still shows 1966 - must not be official yet.

Yesterday, I asked Vic Williams (LD26), head of the House Transportation Committee, about the status of ADEQ's request. He said to call his Phoenix Office in Tuesday, and they would inquire of ADEQ as to the status.

Morning,
I think I will give the man a call today and see if we have any good news - (my tags are due next month and that would be an early Christmas present!)

Yesterday, I asked Vic Williams (LD26), head of the House Transportation Committee, about the status of ADEQ's request. He said to call his Phoenix Office in Tuesday, and they would inquire of ADEQ as to the status.

I'm long overdue, but my 40 is still in about 10,000 little pieces. :-(

My Inquiry and their response from yesterday

Hi Scott,

I have contacted our legislative liaison with the ADEQ and will email you back with any information that he sends me. I am out of the office tomorrow and Monday, but will get back to you Tuesday with any updates. Have a wonderful weekend.

Sincerely,

Charly Laube
Charly Laube
Assistant to Representative Vic Williams
(for Meg Reilly)
602-926-3506
mreilly@azleg.gov

From: Scott Beatty [mailto:Scott_Beatty@fujifilm-ffem.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2011 9:04 AM
To: Vic Williams
Subject: SB1324

Good Morning Mr. Williams,

I am curious about the status of SB1324 and it’s implementation at the AZDEQ. Specifically pertaining to the new exemption model year noted below.

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this subdivision, a motor vehicle manufactured in or before the 1966 model year. If the United States environmental protection agency issues a vehicle emissions testing exemption for motor vehicles manufactured in or before the 1974 model year for purposes of the state implementation or maintenance plan for air quality, a motor vehicle manufactured in or before the 1974 model year is exempt from inspection.

Can you please advise how this is proceeding?

Thanks in advance,

Kind regards,
Scott Beatty

Will this get passed as the 25 year deal and every year it brings in a new year o r will it be as printed and stop as 1973/74 model year? matt

Will this get passed as the 25 year deal and every year it brings in a new year o r will it be as printed and stop as 1973/74 model year? matt
I am pretty sure that this new change does NOT have a rolling date. I think it was covered in detail on a previous thread, but I don't have that one handy. John

I guess this answers that...... so much for states rights.

Hi Scott,

Below is the response I received from our legislative liaison with ADEQ. Hope this helps; if you need anything else, please don't hesitate. Have a wonderful day!

Charly/Meg,

The Obama administration’s EPA has told us not to bother with submitting an amendment to our State Implementation Plan (SIP) on this issue, because they simply will not approve it.

Please call me if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Jim Buster

Sincerely,

Charly Laube
Charly Laube
Assistant to Representative Vic Williams
(for Meg Reilly)
602-926-3506
mreilly@azleg.gov

Un-fing real. They grant some waivers for some states, including motorcycles in Arizona, but not this one. Gotta love politics.

I just received the same answer. Can't wait until Nov 2012.

You mean do don't feel greener because of this?:rolleyes: The big question is was other states grant this under the current administration. If it was It could be taken to court. Even it it wasn't I think you could still take it to court. But who is going to do it. Right now this is a small item compaired to what going on in this country no one is going to make a issue of it. If 50% of the voters in the state owned a pre 74 vehicle someone would listen. Then maybe the state would push the feds on this. No money or voters no action. I think it's called politics.:frown:

Un-fing real. They grant some waivers for some states, including motorcycles in Arizona, but not this one. Gotta love politics.
I think California has had it on the books for a long time, including the step up on the inclusion dates. I think they are up to/including 1974 now. I wonder if they will get to go up again in a few years. John

Thought I would give you an update and share a happy ending.

My tags are due and I did not want to keep running collectors insurance. No offense but I was always concerned that it would leave me high and dry if I had a claim. Since the new laws will not effect my ’74 any time soon, I was going to take her in for normal emissions. I was all set to tune down the carb, and pour in some alcohol in the gas tank, then I was talking with my 16 year old son the morning I was going to test and I told him my plan, and he said good luck…..later that morning I started thinking, I just told my son that I was planning to circumvent a law.

I know emission laws are a pain in the ars, and I am sure I am still violating a ton of them with disconnected lines or parts missing, but they are current binding statutes and I thought what am I modeling for my son? My faith in Jesus instructs me that if I can be trusted in the small things I will be trusted in the large things so I had a change of heart. Without changing a thing on the FJ40 I pulled into line at the testing station said a little prayer and waited.

Passed first time with no problem. I shared the story with my son and made sure he knew why I changed plans. Any way thought I would share a happy ending.

congratulations on passing :cheers:

I see no morality attached to emissions testing on either side, though :meh: considering that I have recently lived in two states that don't test, it is clearly none other than a political issue ;p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom