New Rules for Classic auto emissions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My collector insurance has stated value and was simple to get. Best of all....is only $125 for the year. Fits my needs almost perfectly.
Would be nice if the law passed. I mean even in California, you don't have to test 25 years or older vehicles.

...I mean even in California, you don't have to test 25 years or older vehicles.

IIRC (can't remember where I've read that...) emission testing for all vehicles was instituted because Maricopa county was failing EPA air quality standards. Continuing to fail would have meant that Maricopa county would not qualify to receive Federal Highway funds. Emissions testing for all vehicles was instituted to specifically demonstrate to the EPA Maricopa county's willingness to remediate the air quality issue - and thereby become eligible for Federal funds again...

...and wasn't it '76 or older in California?

Last edited:
A friend of mine is pretty active from the muscle car side of things and he just told me that it has made it through committees and is awaiting final vote. It was amended to not be a rolling 25 year exemption but a pre-1974 exemption.

Not perfect, but certainly better. I am sending emails off to my representatives today.

A friend of mine is pretty active from the muscle car side of things and he just told me that it has made it through committees and is awaiting final vote. It was amended to not be a rolling 25 year exemption but a pre-1974 exemption.

Not perfect, but certainly better. I am sending emails off to my representatives today.
So basically they are moving the cutoff age from 1966 to 1974. That is a LITTLE better, but not much, considering that the smog junk started getting really stupid on Cruisers in the mid 70's. Looks like I will keep wearing my Collector plates. I'm good with that, since there were only a couple thousand imported that year.

Agreed, the right answer is to create a rolling exemption, but when I was far more active in politics, the trick to keep taking steps in the right direction.

...It was amended to not be a rolling 25 year exemption but a pre-1974 exemption....

that figures....:rolleyes: I thought I might get away with the K5. At least it'll take care of the '40.

Like Scott said, maybe we will get luckER the next time it gets back to the state house.

Just went and read the amendment. vehicle emissions testing exemption for motor vehicles manufactured in or before the 1974 model year.

So it actually includes 74's

Thanks for the update. While I am sure that he said 74 and older, I suspect that I simply typed it as pre-74.

Just looked at the house calendar and it looks like the bill is before the "committee of the whole" today. If this passes, the timing could be really good for me. :)

Passed the committe of the whole as amended. Looks likely this will be law, will be nice not to have to suffer through emissions again.

I just watched the floor session online while I was doing some other work.

FYI - for those folks terribly interested this video adds some clarification on the ammendment. Apparently the change from 25 years to 1974 was an ADEQ recommendation based on wanting to maintain testing on vehicles that included a catalytic converter.

Additionally it sounds like even if this bill passes it will require the EPA to grant a waiver.

03/22/2011 - House Environment

I just went and watched the committee hearing and see that it would have required the EPA waiver for the rolling exemption as well.

I talked to my Mopar friend from down in Tucson tonight and even though he was pushing for the 25 year rolling exemption, he believes that the EPA will pass the 74 year and older based on what it has waived in other states.

I guess only time will tell. It has the 3rd Reading tomorrow.

Passed the House 3rd read today.

Format Document

It should have to go to a conference committee now so that the Senate can approve the amended version. After that, off to the Governor for signature.

I am really curious as to how long it will take for the EPA to either grant the waiver or deny it.

Sent back to the senate which approved the amendment and it was transmitted to the governor yesterday for signature.

I contacted Senator Antenori the other day and asked about the EPA waiver and timelines. His response was that the waiver is expected to be granted as the way the bill was passed falls under the guidelines that they have for other states. The way he put it in politico speak was that it "looked likely." He did say that it could take 12 to 18 months for the EPA to issue the waiver, and once it does, the exemption will automatically go into place.

Hopefully all goes as planned. Sounds like I might have one more go around with the emissions folks though.

Same here. Of course, at the rate my project is actually moving along, it might work out anyway. :-(

Devil's advocate/curiosity: why would the EPA in fact grant that waiver?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom