New Radflo Suspension Review (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
About a month ago I was in the market for a new suspension system for my 200-series. I wanted to replace my OME setup with more sophisticated coil-overs. When I first installed the OME’s, they were the only suspension available so I did not have a choice. Now, however, many companies are playing the game. After looking into King, Fox, Radflo and ICON among other brands, I decided to work with Glenn at Radflo to bring a new suspension system for the 200-series to market. I felt this provided me great opportunity, as in the end I got exactly what I wanted and was involved in the entire testing process. I was tempted by the remote reservoir setups on the market, however, after numerous discussions with subject matter experts, I decided that this type of setup was not necessary.
Specifically, what I wanted were the following features:
  • Simple design – no fancy gimmicks or parts prone to failure
  • Reliable – tried and true tested design
  • Custom – correct build, valves and spring weight for my particular application
  • Maximum lift – tallest lift possible without binding or degrading CV’s while also adhering to Toyota alignment spec once lifted
  • Travel – maximum travel for increased articulation
  • On-road performance – stiff enough to minimize brake dive, acceleration squat and roll during cornering, but soft enough that potholes, road imperfections, speed bumps, and daily driving remains pleasant.
  • Offroad performance – increased articulation, travel and front height to clear large obstacles.

After several designs and testing, I can honestly say that I’ve found the perfect suspension system and was impressed beyond my original expectations. I did not realize how drastic of a change I would experience with this upgrade.

To summarize and not belabor the point, all of my criteria were met. Let’s face it – the majority of our vehicles are used 95% of the time on-road, however, we still demand that our vehicles be capable and built to suit the remaining 5% use offroad. This is a tough feet for any vehicle.

Radflo included two front coilovers, two rear Internal Floating Piston (IFP) shocks and all necessary hardware. For the rear, I continued to use my existing OME medium load springs, which was recommended by Glenn.

DSC00872.jpg

DSC00874.jpg

DSC00873.jpg

DSC00875.jpg

DSC00884.jpg

IMG_9309.jpg

IMG_9311.jpg

IMG_9312.jpg

IMG_9313.jpg

IMG_9307.jpg

IMG_9304.jpg

In addition, I’d highly recommend the Total Chaos Upper Control Arms which allowed me to increase front downward travel. I also added the ICON Rear Lower Trailing Arms. They look awesome and should provide better protection, however, I'm not sure how they affect performance. Either way, I’d highly recommend them as well, although they're not required.

The expert mechanic at my dealership who does my alignments stated that he was quite impressed with how the vehicle was able to be aligned back into perfect Toyota spec, something I have never need able to achieve. I’ve always had torque steer issues, which have now been completely eliminated!

With the Radflo installed, I leveled the front to provide 0 degrees of rake with the rear. I measured the OME before removal (center of hub to lip of fender) at 21.5” front and 22.5” rear. The Radflo measurements were 23” front and 23” rear. That’s an increased lift of 1.5” front and .5” rear! (Note these figures are on top of what the OME already provided. I do not have specs for a stock vehicle).

For testing, I took the vehicle on the highway to test high-speed handling and smoothness. It handled very well for being a 6000+ lb vehicle and evasive maneuvering resulted in little roll or rocking. I tested city driving on some of our roughest roads and hit many potholes and repaired roads. I was thoroughly impressed with how well it absorbed the bumps compared to the OME. For cornering testing, I drove down Mt. Lemmon at high speed and allowed the tires to break traction in the corners. All the while I never felt like the vehicle was going to roll and it remained level with minimal lean. For “light” offroad testing, my wife and I took a day trip on Rice Peak trail yesterday, which, according to my Guide to Arizona Backraods & 4-Wheel Drive Trails, is rated as “Difficult”. This trail is very rocky and steep, and takes you from 4,524-ft. to 7,577-ft. in 5.8 miles. On the way down it was pouring rain, which added to the “fun”. I was impressed with the rebound control as the vehicle climbed rocks and then slipped off of them, requiring the suspension to rebound quickly but not forcefully rather in a controlled manor. Heavy offraod testing will have to wait until another few weeks when I can get out to Chiva Falls, which will really test this suspension’s articulation and off-camber abilities. So far, though, I doubt I will have issues.

For any of you that are still running factory suspension and are considering a lift or are running OME suspension, I’d highly recommend Radflo.

I do not have part numbers available, however contact Glenn at Radflo (714-965-7828, info@radflo.com) and he’ll be able to provide you further information and costs. :cheers:

Sounds really promising. I like the added lift height and smoother ride. Curious to see how it holds up over time. What does the setup cost?

Ditto. And thanks for the comprehensive report. Hope he ships to NZ. I do note that Radflo have an Australian presence but doubt they have the detailed system spec you have developed. Good stuff JB.

Thanks JB, for the thorough review.
My front suspension measured 19.6" before any mods, so you are running about 3.4" higher than stock. If it hasn't settled since you measured it you have very little droop left. The same thing happened to me when I first got my lift, and it's amazing how good the ride still was. I adjusted it down to about 2.5" and was much happier with the ride both on and off road. That extra ground clearance was sure nice though.

Thanks JB, for the thorough review.
My front suspension measured 19.6" before any mods, so you are running about 3.4" higher than stock. If it hasn't settled since you measured it you have very little droop left. The same thing happened to me when I first got my lift, and it's amazing how good the ride still was. I adjusted it down to about 2.5" and was much happier with the ride both on and off road. That extra ground clearance was sure nice though.

How did you adjust the rear ICON shocks? I simply adjusted my front to level with the rear. Not sure how I could lower both to still keep a 0 degree rake.

I will measure the droop tonight by lifting the vehicle from the center, but I still have considerable droop I believe. Those TC UCA's really did the trick. When a hit a speed bump with speed, I do not experience any knocking of the suspension hyper-extending, which would occur if there was no downward travel remaining.

I'm interested, however, and will measure tonight...

I have air bags inside my rear coils, so adjustment is easy.
I would keep your rear height where it is though. I found that when you equalize front and rear hub to fender lip distances the truck looks level, but the bottom of the frame is about an inch lower in the rear. I like to keep the rear a little higher to reduce tail dragging off road.

I have air bags inside my rear coils, so adjustment is easy.
I would keep your rear height where it is though. I found that when you equalize front and rear hub to fender lip distances the truck looks level, but the bottom of the frame is about an inch lower in the rear. I like to keep the rear a little higher to reduce tail dragging off road.

I measured my rake by sticking a 3-ft magnetic level to the bottom of my frame and compared this to the sliders. Both are level, so I proceeded to use my sliders to set a 0 degree rake.

With airbags how do you decrease the height? By design my impression was that an airbag cannot lower your height, only raise it under load. If the rear shocks are stiff enough that you do not experience any droop, again I do not understand how to lower the rear. Can you please enlighten me?

That's a good way to measure rake, JB. I must have measured mine wrong.

On the air bags, I should have pointed out that I still have my stock springs back there. Without the air bags, the tail is about 1.5" too low. With about 10 psi in the bags, the truck is level. I normally use about 15 psi and increase it to 25 psi when loaded for a trip.

That's a good way to measure rake, JB. I must have measured mine wrong.

On the air bags, I should have pointed out that I still have my stock springs back there. Without the air bags, the tail is about 1.5" too low. With about 10 psi in the bags, the truck is level. I normally use about 15 psi and increase it to 25 psi when loaded for a trip.

That's what I was figuring with your airbag situation that you were using stock springs. I do not regularly tow and therefore wanted a permanent spring lift. As I already had the OME medium load rear springs, I decided to keep them.

Great post.

Are the brushing in the shock rod-ends metal on metal or is there a polly brushing?

This post had me looking at a LC at the Toyota dealer during lunch, as with this sort of excellent lift pioneer work, a LC lift would be much easier to than doing one on my LX570. I barely escaped with my wallet.

The heim joints are Teflon bearings I believe.

I had a few outstanding requests on this thread so figured I would update everyone. Sorry it took so long -- been damn busy!

After two months, the shocks settled a bit. To recap, after installing the RadFlo's my measurements were 23" front / 23" rear. Now they were 21.5" front / 22.5" rear. I adjusted the fronts back to 23", thus resetting rake to near 0.

The second request was for a front droop measurement. I jacked up the front and let the shocks hang. My droop measurement was 25.5", so with setting the shocks for 23", I have 2.5" of droop.

They ride just as well now as when they were first installed without any issues, so I'm still a happy customer. :cheers:

JB, the rear shock piston looks awfully exposed the way it is shown on your picture. Is there no sleeve or shield mounted in front of it to protect it from sand and stones? If I look at my OMEs in the back, there is no paint left on the front of the units, sandblasted completely clean by the fine desert conditions here. Also, from driving on gravel tracks, plenty of nicks in the sleeve of the shock.

Hey JB, could you post some pictures of your rig? I'd like to see the stance and how your tiresize setup fits in.

Thanks!

JB, the rear shock piston looks awfully exposed the way it is shown on your picture. Is there no sleeve or shield mounted in front of it to protect it from sand and stones? If I look at my OMEs in the back, there is no paint left on the front of the units, sandblasted completely clean by the fine desert conditions here. Also, from driving on gravel tracks, plenty of nicks in the sleeve of the shock.

You can use the Icon shin guard to protect the bottom portion of the shock along with the piston shaft due to the design of this particular product. It is a simple bolt on, and it is made out of stainless steel so no rust or corrosion to worry about.

Icon Shin Guards

39.jpg

JB,

Any pics of the 200 with the new suspension? How is it performing offroad? Are you thinking about getting larger tires?

sbly

Couple of things:

*Glad you keep trying to improve your truck's setup

*Do you have a diff-drop installed. If you are now up that much higher over OME then you might really need it.

*Rice Peak used to be a dousy until the Apsen Fire. Since, it's rated as easy except for the last few hundered feet to the summit which is moderate.

*Yes, Chiva Falls is the test! Report back with some pictures.

Couple of things:

*Glad you keep trying to improve your truck's setup

*Do you have a diff-drop installed. If you are now up that much higher over OME then you might really need it.

*Rice Peak used to be a dousy until the Apsen Fire. Since, they keep grading it and it's rated as easy except for the last few hundered feet to the summit which is moderate.

*Yes, Chiva Falls is the test! Report back with some pictures.

I just installed new front radflo(s) and I have all the same lean issues I've read about. I'm taking her into the Toyota shop Monday to bleed and recalibrate. Crossing my fingers this works. If anyone has any new advice, I'm all ears. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom