ANOTHER Suspension/Tire/Wheel Review (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just had the Westcott Designs preload collar lift installed as well as some new wheels/tires for my wife’s 200 series so I figured I’d do a full review of the setup now that its been a month or so. I wasn’t able to locate much info on this particular setup so hopefully this helps someone down the road.

We went with the WD preload collar lift because realistically, this rig won’t see much hardcore offroading anytime soon (if at all) and I was told priority number one from my wife was to keep the factory ride as much as possible. If it was up to me, it would have had an Icon or OME suspension installed but this isn’t my rig. Overall, the WD setup is pretty impressive. The factory ride remains much the same but the tendency for the rig to nosedive when braking has decreased quite a bit. The front seems slightly stiffer (due to the additional preload) but just barely which I think is an improvement. Otherwise, the ride is great. The install was tough compared to my 100 series but that was down to me doing it mostly by myself and the KDSS system fighting me the whole time. It wasn’t overly complicated but you have to be prepared to muscle the s*** out of that KDSS system. Now the rig is completely level and I want to say it netted close to the gains that WD said it would (~1.5” in front and ~2.5” in rear).

IMG_2771[1].JPG

IMG_2775[1].JPG

After lift install but before tires.

The tires are General Grabber A/TX 275/70/R18 in standard load running 33psi. I really wanted this size because of how good it looks on the rig but absolutely HATE E load tires (I have 295/70/R18s in E on my 100 and it rides like s***). Luckily General came out with these recently and they look good (not as aggressive as others but wife didn’t want it to be too much). They haven’t been offroad yet so I can’t comment on their offroad characteristics but will provide feedback once I do.

IMG_2798[1].JPG

The wheels are from FN and they’re the f(x) Pro model in matte bronze. I honestly can’t speak any more highly of FN and the wheels. I research all of my mods to the point that my head hurts and I had a ton of questions for the FN team. I was worried about the offset, the color, the center caps, how the rim width would affect the tires, etc. They answered all of my questions and did a great job helping me get comfortable with the specs. The wife wanted something similar to the heritage wheels but with better offset, these checked all her boxes. The only thing that would make them better is if they were 17’s so I could have more tire options but I love the look of the 18’s and really like the A/TX’s.

IMG_2797[1].JPG

Here are the specs for the wheels. I was worried about the offset but it wasnt an issue and I personally think it gives the perfect amount of "tire poke".

FN Wheels FX Pro - Flow Formed
Diameter: 18"
Width: 8.5"
Offset: +18
Backspacing: 5.46"
Bolt Pattern (PCD): 5x150mm
Hub Bore: 110mm hub centric
Wheel Weight: 26.2lbs
Load Rating: 2,500lbs w/ 35" tire diameter
Color: Matte bronze
Additional notes: The flow form manufacturing technique allows us to maintain a light wheel weight while simultaneously allowing us to achieve a load rating of 2,500lbs per wheel with up to a 35" diameter tire as tested to DOT, JWL-T / VIA (Japanese), and SAE J2530 standards.

IMG_2795[1].JPG

Full transparency, rubbing was an issue. I removed both of the front mud flaps (the small one in the front of the wheel well as well as the full mudflap on the rear of the wheel well) and had to take a heat gun to the raised portion of the liner but that fixed 98% of the rubbing. It still rubs a tiny amount on full steering lock while reversing one direction, but that’s it.

It looks great and that blue! I wonder if y'all get invited to a bunch of swingers/key parties with your license plate saying SXN = Sex'in?!?! 🤪

Hahaha! My wife said the same thing. "People are going to get the wrong impression of me when they see my license plate". My response was, "Or maybe they're getting the right impression of who you really are???" She didnt think it was as funny as I did....

Hahaha! My wife said the same thing. "People are going to get the wrong impression of me when they see my license plate". My response was, "Or maybe they're getting the right impression of who you really are???" She didnt think it was as funny as I did....

Should I ever see her in traffic I'll honk and wink lol.

Hey nice work bud. Thats the perfect little lift to make the truck look right.

26 lbs is right on the money too for an 18”.
Good choice on tire spec and don’t sweat the 18” vs 17”, theres better profile for non LTs with what you are running. If not off roading i think 18s are better than 17s personally.

Any feedback on road for tires? Always wanna hear about tires. Specially from a Houstonian, the roads mau as well be 3rd world here!

Hey nice work bud. Thats the perfect little lift to make the truck look right.

26 lbs is right on the money too for an 18”.
Good choice on tire spec and don’t sweat the 18” vs 17”, theres better profile for non LTs with what you are running. If not off roading i think 18s are better than 17s personally.

Any feedback on road for tires? Always wanna hear about tires. Specially from a Houstonian, the roads mau as well be 3rd world here!
Thanks a lot. I really like the setup and it works well for her. I'm super impressed with the tires. No real increase in road noise. They are quieter than my Cooper Discoverer AT3's which are pretty quiet tires to begin with. They ride really well but I expected that given they are standard load rated and I have them at 33 psi. They handle our terrible roads just fine (which is a big accomplishment), much better than the E-rated Cooper's. I honestly like them so much I'm considering putting a set on my 100 series but I don't want to go down from a 295 to a 275.

Your thread was very helpful in picking the same tires. I also picked the 18s with a different set of wheels. Do you have any side view of the full truck. I was debating on going full Bilsteins or trying the WD.

Sadly, I dont actually have a full side profile pic of the truck. Its at the detailers right now (getting full paint correction and de-chromed) but when I get it back, I'll take a pic and post it. I really like the WD setup and would not do it differently if I had the chance. I dont know much about the Bilsteins but the WD kit maintains the factory ride to perfection and gives it the right look, IMHO. If you want a stiffer, more compliant ride or need to be able to carry heavy loads frequently, maybe go for a new suspension, otherwise, if you like the stock ride, definitely give the WD kit a try. Just my two cents....

Sadly, I dont actually have a full side profile pic of the truck. Its at the detailers right now (getting full paint correction and de-chromed) but when I get it back, I'll take a pic and post it. I really like the WD setup and would not do it differently if I had the chance. I dont know much about the Bilsteins but the WD kit maintains the factory ride to perfection and gives it the right look, IMHO. If you want a stiffer, more compliant ride or need to be able to carry heavy loads frequently, maybe go for a new suspension, otherwise, if you like the stock ride, definitely give the WD kit a try. Just my two cents....
I love the stock ride, that is for sure. No bumpers or anything here, thus no real heavier load than the already fat pig the 200 is

Appreciate the pics when you get it back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom