New owner. '69 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.hack.net
Just got my first FJ40 over the weekend. Here's a shot of the old Tundra bringing it home:

fj40s.jpg

Runs fine, good mechanical shape, but the rear tub is pretty bad. First order of business will be to enjoy it over the summer, but there are some immediate things I need to fix:

Speedo not working- probably just the cable, but there is some sort of strange sensor thing on the cable right before it enters the parking brake area. Not sure what that is for.

Brakes - PO or P-PO looks like they reran brake lines using those 4 ft segments that you can get out of a display at the auto parts store. Lots of unions and very old/scary looking for a single circuit system. This brings up my first question to ask the gurus here: Can I swap in a dual circuit master cylinder easily? I don't mind the unassisted brakes, but don't want to rely on one circuit. None of the pix I see online seem to show a master cylinder with a firewall bolt pattern that match what I have, which I assume is OEM.

More to follow! Wanted to say thanks to all the contributors here, great info and really helped with my purchase.

Welcome to the madness! Sweet 69!! My fav year!
Speedo could be a # of things. That doo-hickey on the cable is a speed sensor for the early "emmision" system. You can replace it with a straight cable.

Im still running single circut (gasp) but dual is a pretty easy swap if you can plumb brakes. There was a couple posts recently even.

More pics!! Does it have a tag in the drivers door jam? What month? Mines a 7.

Nice looking cruiser.

As for the brakes, my single circuit system was 43 years old when I finally pulled it for my disk brake conversion. Never had a problem beyond normal maintenance and adjusting of the non self-adjusting shoes.

Nice. Have fun. Got it in time to enjoy in the snow and during the summer.

Welcome! Not a bad rig to start with. Need some more pics!

Your username suggests that you might own another Japanese classic. If so, need pics of that too!

Congrats, S800! I have a 7/69 and I love it. I spend so much time driving it that I never seem to have time to tear into it and tinker.

FJ404Life/S800, would you mind posting a pic of your single circuit setup (under-the-hood pic)? I want to see how it compares to mine.

i have a 69 also and went to front discs and dual master with power brakes , actually its the wifes cruiser.its a factory ragtop i drove home from california.good luck on your project.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I didn't realize it had a month of production, and I wondered about all those parts that seemed to change mid year. The tag on the driver's side door says Nov 1969.

I'll see if I can find the dual circuit stuff here on the forum. I've plumbed brakes before and don't screw up the flare that often (okay, 50% of the time). There's just too many patches in this system as it is- I'm sure if it was original I'd be less concerned. I even found a few feet of "goes nowhere" brake line.

Yeah, I've got a clean s800, had it for quite some time:

s800.jpg

Nice 40 and Honda.

If you decide not to keep the Hella lights on the 40, please let me know.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I didn't realize it had a month of production, and I wondered about all those parts that seemed to change mid year. The tag on the driver's side door says Nov 1969.

I'll see if I can find the dual circuit stuff here on the forum. I've plumbed brakes before and don't screw up the flare that often (okay, 50% of the time). There's just too many patches in this system as it is- I'm sure if it was original I'd be less concerned. I even found a few feet of "goes nowhere" brake line.

Yeah, I've got a clean s800, had it for quite some time:

s800.jpg
Wow! That is gorgeous! You should post some pics on S2KCA.com. Tell them Rocketman sent you. We have a couple of members with S600s. I'm sure your car will make a big impression.

'69 is the best if you like drum brakes and strong arm steering. Don't get me wrong I like my rig but my wife isn't liking all the $ i'm forking out to upgrade.

Just got my first FJ40 over the weekend. Here's a shot of the old Tundra bringing it home:

fj40s.jpg

Runs fine, good mechanical shape, but the rear tub is pretty bad. First order of business will be to enjoy it over the summer, but there are some immediate things I need to fix:

Speedo not working- probably just the cable, but there is some sort of strange sensor thing on the cable right before it enters the parking brake area. Not sure what that is for.

Brakes - PO or P-PO looks like they reran brake lines using those 4 ft segments that you can get out of a display at the auto parts store. Lots of unions and very old/scary looking for a single circuit system. This brings up my first question to ask the gurus here: Can I swap in a dual circuit master cylinder easily? I don't mind the unassisted brakes, but don't want to rely on one circuit. None of the pix I see online seem to show a master cylinder with a firewall bolt pattern that match what I have, which I assume is OEM.

More to follow! Wanted to say thanks to all the contributors here, great info and really helped with my purchase.

Nice...and if your Honda is any indication, this 40 appears to be in good hands!

I think the '69 still had 9mm brake fitting, so another good link for original 9mm brakes is this one; https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/245036-review-new-9-mm-brake-lines.html

When do we see more pictures? :beer:

When did they flip over to the square front turn signals from the circle. I though 69 was circle turn signals in the front? Or was that a mid 69 year change?

67 was the last year for round blinkers...I do believe. Your hood is incorrect from what I can see in the pic, the louvers on the side of the hood should go down more, that stopped in 72 where they stayed more on the top of the hood. But from the one pic it looks like a nice rig. Congrats!

Oh, plus 71 and down had a chrome strip on the top front of the hood, and it was a split hood welded together, yours is single piece... ;)

1968 had round blinkers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom