New owner. '69 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Plenty of early 'cruisers have late model hoods. It never fails - if you have an early 'cruiser with a late model hood, you can only find late model hoods for sale, and vice versa.

Early hoods have a flatter front corner and can crack there, so late model hoods are (in some ways) better engineered. I like the low vents on the early hoods, however. Still, it might be worth finding the correct hood before you paint. You can always resell the late model hoods, anyway.

What should the correct door mirrors be for 69?
s800, welcome to Mud:flipoff2:. You will find a wealth of knowledge here. Judging from the picture, you have the correct "round" mirrors/arms for your vintage. Have to question the 11/69 build date as maybe a '70 model year, but I am sure others who know better will correct me if I'm wrong. You should really get to know Mark Algazy at marksoffroad.net, great vendor, lots of knowledge there, and a great source for NOS Toyota "old school" parts. Good luck with your project, and please post some more pictures.:steer:Brendon

Thanks for all the info. I'll get some more pix tomorrow. Got some n00b electrical questions, trying to get everything back to stock. Seems the harness is mostly unmolested:

- What is the knob (switch) nearest the ashtray suppose to do? It is smaller than the other ones, unlabeled, black and seems to have a short travel. (second "row" of switches, H, H, V and then this thing)

- What is the lower right indicator light supposed to do? This is below the right blinker, definitely OEM.

- What should the two different pull positions on the light switch do? On mine, they both do the same thing- running lights.

- My right blinker only blinks once. :) and my hazards don't work (red switch). I have the wiring diagram from Coolerman- wow, THANKS! But I don't have a feel for where things are physically. Is the cylinder in the driver's (LHD) footwell/firewall the blinker relay? What is the rectangular box in the passenger's footwell, firewall?

Good news is that the water temperature sensor was an easy fix.

1. its the dome light. would be up above drivers head on the side/top junction.
2. 4x4 light I think on my 69 doesnt work on mine (floor shift conversion from po)
3. running and headlight
4. not sure...check your gounds. My harness is in great shape for a 40 year old...but still had a lot of voltage loss to the headlights.
New fusebox and junction blocks on the inner fenders cured that. Give everything a once over/cleanup.

3. Replace the headlights and check the fuses and grounds
4. Good luck brother. Turn signals are the curse of new owners. I just went through it myself. Use the search function and don't be afraid to be specific in your questions and queries. There is a wealth of information here, and sometimes you gotta look for it. NO easy answer on turn signals.

A Toyota Factory Service Manual is your friend.

When did they flip over to the square front turn signals from the circle. I though 69 was circle turn signals in the front? Or was that a mid 69 year change?

I think it was a mid year change. My girlfriend's dad and I both have 1969 Cruisers and his is round and mine are square. His was built in late '68 and mine was built in March of 69. Somewhere in between they must have switched.

Nice looking Cruiser, I'm sure you'll have a ton of fun with it this summer. I always forget how much I love driving mine during the winter, then spring comes and I rediscover how great it is cruising around the woods with no top and no doors!

Okay, more pics. But that means more questions :meh:

Carb: OEM?

web.jpg

I assume that dashpout there is doing pretty much nothing :) That long spring doesn't seem very OEM.

Here's some PO or PPO patch - I don't even see any connection between the patch and the body:

web.jpg

To do:

web.jpg

I don't see any spot for mounting of the dome light on the "B" pillar, but I do have this spot, which seems wired and waiting:

web.jpg

Here's the driver's side footwell. Not sure I'm getting full travel out of the gas pedal, and it is too close to the brake.

web.jpg

Is this how the rear latch was originally?

web.jpg

There's a question as to the date of the hood, so here's a better look at it:

web.jpg

Shackles (?) from the PO, greasable:

web.jpg

OEM bumper? (i.e. should I straighten it or just get a new one?)

web.jpg

Only one screw :bang: this will be fun.

web.jpg

Broken speedo cable, panel end:

web.jpg

and trans end with vss (which seemed to go nowhere- only for emissions, yes?)

web.jpg

(hopefully these IMG links work, if not come back in a few :) )

Thanks!

Carb looks correct, hate the blue air cleaner and valve cover oem was black. Hood (early pre 72) should be two pieces seamed in the center Crome Speer (ornament) , Rear handle for the hatch was Crome also :grinpimp:
IMG_5060.jpg

coolfj40_2146_3074740.jpg

great year

Good year!:) Yeah that rear handle is a not oem....Most of them break from what I have been told. Mine is broken and my rear hatch does not latch down so I need to redo all my mechnical door latches to the hatch.

Carb looks oem. Do you have the original air cleaner?

Good looking FJ!;)

Those two empty screw holes in the upper right and left of the inner windshield are for the sun visors.

Don't even attempt removing those windshield hinge screws without an impact driver (the one you hit with a hammer) and some good penetrating oil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom