New noise after brake job (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My rear brakes were starting to sound pretty bad, metal on metal noise, so I took them into the brake shop. They replaced the pads and rotors on the rear and the pads on the front. Now I have a new noise coming from what sounds like the driver side rear brake.

I’ve searched through threads trying to figure out a cause for the noise. What’s different about my case, though, is that the noise only shows up after I’ve driven around a bit and the vehicle has warmed up. The noise almost sounds like a tab hitting something. I hear it when I’m slowing down to a stop or just taking off.

I did take it back to the shop. They pulled the wheel and looked it over but couldn’t find anything out of the ordinary. They said to come back in a week if it’s still making the noise, thinking that it needs to break in or something.

So, I’m curious if any mudders might have some suggestions on what may be causing this. Thanks.

Did they tighten the caliper bolts?

Maybe the noise will heal itself and go away.........when you hit that car in the intersection because your brakes failed it won't make the noise anymore.

A few thoughts.....

Brake back plate has a return that runs in a groove in the brake disc, that could be touching the plate, in particular if the casting flash was not cleared from the disc groove during manufacturing , disc warms and expands slightly and then metal touches metal.

Second, on top of the calliper is a small metal plate, this can get slightly bent and can catch stick on balance weights.

Third, it could be a hold down clip or spring come adrift and lying inside the disc.

And finally, park the car at the garage that fitted the brakes, you cannot do a proper check without taking the disc (rotor) off, as per @BILT4ME, don't wait for something to fail.

EDIT: Drive around a little trying to use the brakes as little as possible, then get out and check brakes for any heat, wrongly over tightening the handbrake shoes will heat the disc and makes noises, eventually warping the new disc.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
Caliper bolts + your front brakes were done and the rotors were not replaced? Were they machined? Maybe you have a noise from fresh pads on worn rotors.

Caliper bolts + your front brakes were done and the rotors were not replaced? Were they machined? Maybe you have a noise from fresh pads on worn rotors.

The noise it at the rear, and they replaced rear pads and rear discs.

Regards

Dave

Thank everyone for taking the time to reply and give me some pointers.

I’m working 12 hr night shifts until this weekend so I haven’t had a chance to check the truck out or take it in. I should have some time Saturday to get it looked over, so I’ll post up what I find out.

I did start watching Texasknowhow’s rear brake video on YouTube this morning to give me a better idea what’s going on back there and to better understand what you guys are suggesting. I was a little tired by then, though, and passed out. Ha! I’ll try to watch it again tonight if I have some time at work.

Thanks again, guys. I really appreciate the feedback.

Okay. Sounds like a ticking sound, right? Like your e-brake drum is out of round by a few thousands. I experienced this exact issues. I used a set of rear discs/drums from O’Reilly. Did your garage use factory parts?

Here’s what I believe it was, and how it was resolved: The aftermarket brakes are machined slightly differently than Toyota OEM. There’s a very small ridge or casting flange on the inside of the drum surface that apparently contacted the backing plate on the ebrake pad. Drove me crazy trying to find it and I disassembled everything three times to no avail. Finally said F-it and just decided to wait it out. Within a week or two it went away completely. Has not returned and brakes work fine.

If this sounds familiar, take solice in each “tick” you hear. That’s the sounds of a problem “self clearancing” itself.

Okay. Sounds like a ticking sound, right? Like your e-brake drum is out of round by a few thousands. I experienced this exact issues. I used a set of rear discs/drums from O’Reilly. Did your garage use factory parts?

Here’s what I believe it was, and how it was resolved: The aftermarket brakes are machined slightly differently than Toyota OEM. There’s a very small ridge or casting flange on the inside of the drum surface that apparently contacted the backing plate on the ebrake pad. Drove me crazy trying to find it and I disassembled everything three times to no avail. Finally said F-it and just decided to wait it out. Within a week or two it went away completely. Has not returned and brakes work fine.

If this sounds familiar, take solice in each “tick” you hear. That’s the sounds of a problem “self clearancing” itself.

Thanks for the the reply.

Yes, that’s what it sounds like after it warms up. The shop used NAPA rotors and pads.

Mine made a metallic scraping noise after I did the rear brakes. The thickness of the new pads caused the calipers to come in contact with the stick-on wheel weights.

Pretty wild to see this posted here as I have pretty much exactly the same issue arising on the same day (Wednesday) after a brake job. It sounds pretty similar to what you are talking about, @rioghamo. I think mine is fairly universal, not restricted to after the vehicle warms up, though. Something is rubbing slightly.

I have also done a lot of reading, and talked to some folks about it and they said look, as long as they're working, just give it a bit and see if it goes away. I examined the front calipers and fiddled around a bit with the clip holding the pads in, as I found a thread here that pointed to those clips as the culprit. The noise did go away on that side for a bit, but it came back.

I guess I'm just gonna wait and see. Be interested to see if you get to the bottom of it.

Pretty wild to see this posted here as I have pretty much exactly the same issue arising on the same day (Wednesday) after a brake job. It sounds pretty similar to what you are talking about, @rioghamo. I think mine is fairly universal, not restricted to after the vehicle warms up, though. Something is rubbing slightly.

I have also done a lot of reading, and talked to some folks about it and they said look, as long as they're working, just give it a bit and see if it goes away. I examined the front calipers and fiddled around a bit with the clip holding the pads in, as I found a thread here that pointed to those clips as the culprit. The noise did go away on that side for a bit, but it came back.

I guess I'm just gonna wait and see. Be interested to see if you get to the bottom of it.
My theory is that there's likely one factory cranking out repro 80-Series brake discs, then those are re-branded through different distributors such as Napa, O-Reilly, BestBrake, AutoZone, etc. The aftermarket rear discs are machined slightly differently than OEM and the inside surface has a very slight contact issue with the e-brake shoes. Tick-tick-tick it goes until the high points wear down. Mine took a few weeks.

Are you running factory or aftermarket rear discs?

Are you running factory or aftermarket rear discs?

Pretty sure they're factory, but I'm not positive. I just bought the vehicle recently and took it to a shop to do some stuff I'm not yet comfortable doing myself, so I didn't get hands-on with it.

It would be cool to think it'll just go away after a few weeks. It's not causing any functional problems but it's annoying.

Pretty sure they're factory, but I'm not positive. I just bought the vehicle recently and took it to a shop to do some stuff I'm not yet comfortable doing myself, so I didn't get hands-on with it.

It would be cool to think it'll just go away after a few weeks. It's not causing any functional problems but it's annoying.
Unless it went to a dealership, it'll have aftermarket "OE-spec" parts. The OEM rear discs are three times as much as the aftermarket.

I wasn’t able to take it in last Saturday but the noise has gone away.

Thanks again for all of the input. There’s a lot of helpful and knowledgeable people on this board.

I don't have anything productive to add except I checked my rear rotors a short while ago, even bought new ones to replace them, and they were still like new. Took the new rotors back (local Toyota dealership). My truck has 332,000 miles. I'm wondering why they replaced your rear rotors, and if that was necessary. My brakes work perfectly. Puzzling. Ned

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom