Suspension clunking / noise on braking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all - having a really hard time tracking down this suspension noise. It happens on braking. Every time. It used to be intermittent but it has progressed. I replace both tie rods & ends as well as all the front sway bar bushings. Haven’t done the control arm bushing yet but that’s next. Any ideas?

Video doesn’t help for me.
Is it on just one side of truck you hear the noise? Any recent changes with the brakes or suspension?

I know the video's not great. I tried it from a few spots/angles and couldn't see anything obviously moving.

Sound is on the left side. No changes other than the maintenance mentioned. I lifted the front end and moved the wheels side to side. There's no noticeable play or sticking. Checked the front caliper mounts and everything there is tight.

Losing my mind!

Long shot: have you checked your isolators/motor and transmission mounts?

I had a transmission mount where the rubber came apart from the metal and it made weird noises.

Yeah, I checked 'em. They're tight and look it be in surprisingly good shape.

The radius arm bushings all need to be replaced but it doesn't look like they've got enough slop to cause this.

Check the frame around your steering box and panhard mount for cracks.

Bold choice of camera placement, I like it.

Only thing I will add is that what I thought initially was a bushing related braking clunk on my 80 ended up being driveshaft related. However, if you have not replaced you radius arm bushings, that is a much more likely culprit.

Yeah I had it up on stands today and I could shake the radius arms just with my hands. Bushings are 100% shot.

IMG_5586.jpeg

.. However, if you have not replaced you radius arm bushings, that is a much more likely culprit.
Hadn't considered these as something that would inevitably wear out. I'd rather not replace mine if they don't look worn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom