New Member in Houston (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just bought an FJ60 here in the Houston area and I'm looking at making it a good runner. The truck is a 1984 FJ60 and it is fairly good shape. I got it from a buddy of mine who had bought with the intention of fixing it up and it just sat in his garage.

The truck has the interior stripped out and I'm working on getting the floor cleaned up so I can put down some sound deadening material. The floor has this cotton like material that I guess was acting as sound deadening all over it. I'm guessing a peel and stick would work well. The truck came with some vinyl flooring so I've got it laid out on the hood of my K5 Blazer so it will flatten out a little. My plan is to get the floor cleaned up, instal some sound deadening, and then the black vinyl flooring over that in the front and back seat area. In the rear cargo area I'm planning on having Line-X sprayed.

One question I have is what is the best way to remove the transmission and transfer case gear shifter? I see that they seem to both be mounted to the same piece of metal. Do you just un-bolt them at the transmission and the transfer case, and then as one unit in the cab? I ask because the vinyl flooring I have doesn't have holes cut for anything. So I'll need to remove them so I can lay the flooring flat in the cab, mark where holes need to be cut, and then cut them outside the truck with a box cutter. I'd like it to look as close to factory as possible.

welcome to MUD! lots of good info around here, try the search feature on how to unbolt the shofters. i couldnt help you with it because i dont know.

Hey, I'm local to ya :)

Transmission shifter is taken off by lifting up the edges of the boot and undoing the 4 bolts that hold it to the floor. Lift it out of the way. Where the shifter goes in there is a metal ring. Push down and turn counter-clockwise. Shifter should be free.

Transfercase is a little different. Undo the boot (4 bolts again IIRC) Pull the knob off, slide the boot out of the way. Get a socket wrench, stick it through the hole and undo a large nut where the shifter pivots. The linkage is attached with a pin I believe. Pretty easy once you have the boot out of the way to figure it out. Reading it like this sounds intimidating.

Last edited:
Thanks. I got the shifter boots off and the nut on the transfer case shifter. Below that it is still connected to what appears to bea ball joint.type connection. I worked at it.for a little bit and had to give up and go run some errands. Hopefully I can get both off this afternoon.

Then I need to get online and order some trim to fit, peel and stick style sound insulation. After that I can put in the vinyl flooring. Ill also try to snap some pictures tonight. It will be of it in my garage though.

Also need to work on cleaning up the headliner. Somewhere along the line someone smoked in it.

For line-x talk to jed at line x of SE texas. He's much cheaper than the guy up in spring, and really works to make the customer happy.

Check out tlcc-houston.org if you haven't already.

PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Welcome :flipoff2:

Old pics.

451_509614646701_7153_n_zps24e07131.jpg

451_509614631731_6433_n_zpsbf63de0a.jpg

New pic.

afc2a00ad494e2ba6dd5f32011e09849_zpsd254aaab.jpg

I've got everything off the floor including the shifters. I need to get the rest of the floor cleaned up and then get some sound deadener. I went by Car Tous today and they had the DynaMat 36 sg ft kit but they were asking $279! I told the guy I didn't need him to install it! Then I laughed and said I can get it on Amazon for $141.

I also took a crack at the vinyl headliner. I used a real stiff brush and scrubbed the same spot for about 3-5 mins. Using both a 409 with bleach solution, and a Gunk degreaser. Both just made a small amount of difference in the brown stains I was scrubbing. Any tips for a cleaning solutions or techniques would be appreciated.

I love your rack. :D

I'm lucky My PO loved the cruiser, so the headliner was Imaculate. :D

Cruiser looks Amazing. :D

Thanks
Cody

I bought it off of Craigslist for $100 and then had it re-powder coated. I also replaced all the rusted hardware with stainless steel hardware.

We have a machine shop that does work for my company and they are going to fabricate some of the brackets that the rack sits on and then bolt to the clamps. I'd like to lower them as much as possible so the truck can actually make it in my garage without scraping the garage door seal.

No way we have the some color cruiser. I've never seen another in person! Awesome.

AND the same year. :hillbilly:

I just noticed that after you pointed it out. I love the blue color. I can't wait to get it reprinted some day. The paint job is in so-so shape. I call it a 25' paint job.

I'm off to bed. Goodnight all.

One more pic.

451_509614621751_5972_n_zps556cb2b4.jpg

No way we have the some color cruiser. I've never seen another in person! Awesome.

AND the same year. :hillbilly:

I just noticed that after you pointed it out. I love the blue color. I can't wait to get it reprinted some day. The paint job is in so-so shape. I call it a 25' paint job.

I'm off to bed. Goodnight all.

One more pic.

G/Kline you two need to get together and take some pics and let the cruisers sniff each others tailpipes. :D

J

reevesci said:
G/Kline you two need to get together and take some pics and let the cruisers sniff each others tailpipes. :D

J

Haha. Cruisers are like dogs. They never stop begging for attention.

We may have a chance to soon. We're both in Houston and I'm planning on going to the next Land Cruiser meet and greet. I working on the fJ60 again today. Maybe I can get it running.

We may have a chance to soon. We're both in Houston and I'm planning on going to the next Land Cruiser meet and greet. I working on the fJ60 again today. Maybe I can get it running.

I wish I had a few cruiserheads within an hour drive of me here. Seems as though I either have to drive to Houston or Dallas to get anywhere close to the other addicts. Makes it hard for me to be an active member.

J

G I'd help today but I'm working on mine! And then Super Bowl. I should be done by then though.

I'd check your fuel pump, fuel filter and fuel level in carb sight glass before any tweaking of screws and such. Make sure the choke works properly too.

G I'd help today but I'm working on mine! And then Super Bowl. I should be done by then though.

I'd check your fuel pump, fuel filter and fuel level in carb sight glass before any tweaking of screws and such. Make sure the choke works properly too.

No worries. I went out today and threw my charger on the battery and it's dead to the point that it won't take a charge. So I'd need a new one of those anyway. I sell batteries at work so that can wait until Monday when I go into the shop. Might as well pay less than the auto parts store since it's got new driver's seat to sit in and drive it.

Speaking of fuel filters I'm a Baldwin rep as well so I'll get all my filters there while I'm at it.

I may buy a Weber kit for it but I'll for sure need some help there. I've never swapped a carb before, nor tuned one. Heck I've never even cleaned one. Might as well replace the belt too. The spark plugs and wires are new.

So lets see:
- Battery
- Oil Change
- Fuel Filter
- Belt
- Check the wheel bearings
- Check fluids
- At least clean stock carb

Doesn't seem like to much time or money. Tomorrow I'll try to cross all of the filters and the belt to my part numbers and get them coming my way. The only thing that beats dealer cost is free. Come to think about it I bet some of my manufactures owe me some samples. :D

Right now I'm finishing up cleaning up the floor. Also emailing back and forth to some people on Craigslist that are parting out late model Neons. After doing some research here I'm seeing that the seats fit almost perfect with just a little modifying to get them perfect. Works for me as I'm 6'4 and the stock seats are far from comfortable for me. If there is a replacement for the back seat I'd be interested in hearing about it. Mine was toast. I'm thinking I'll more than likely have to get it re-upholstered to match the front seats if I get something out of a Neon. Hopefully they don't come with some weird pattern.

I found some black, manual Dodge Neon seats here in Houston today that were for sale. They are a little stained but otherwise are in really good shape. I think since they are solid black I can get away with getting the back seat done in the same style of fabric and the same color. Since the headliner has some deep stains I can also get that dyed to match the seats. On the door panels I'm sure an upholstery shop can recover them with a nice, black, marine vinyl. Then paint the dash and I've got an FJ60 with new looking black interior. I have Wagon Gear doors for the rear and I'm getting the cargo area Line-Xed so it will all match. :D

They mount right into the existing spots except for the mount that's on the back of the seat and closest to the center of the truck. So they went in as expected. I'll search around and se about making a mount for that. It doesn't seem too bad though.

After I get the truck up and running I'll take it over to the local car wash place and see if they get the stains out. If not I can probably dye them when I get the headliner done. If someone knows more about doing that, and it's something I can do myself, let me know. I'm not sure if I can just apply it to the seats or if they have to have the covers removed, dunked, and then up back on. Same for the headliner. Can the dye be painted on or does it have to be dunked?

88afc8c4f5790d113d68a4d22180117e_zps97dde57b.jpg

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom