New Member in Houston (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Another thing to check is the welch plug that is behind the bellhousing on the driver side of the block. It is only 1/2" - 3/4" in diameter, but will leak with the engine running. I had a steady drip from mine after the shop replaced it because they installed the plug wrong. I bring this up because you said your engine had been worked on when it was the PO's.

You will see this plug after you remove the pressure plate, clutch disc, flywheel and then the bellhousing. I would recommend taking the bellhousing off even though you don't have to when installing a rear main seal just so you can check this welch plug. Search my name and welch plug on this forum and you'll find my posts.

Thanks for the tip and I'll make sure to check it. Kind of hard to install a plug incorrectly. One way in and opposite way out. I'll check your post though.

Thanks for the tip and I'll make sure to check it. Kind of hard to install a plug incorrectly. One way in and opposite way out. I'll check your post though.

With a Welch plug, it can be installed wrong. Have to have a proper tool, and the knowledge to install it. You'll see

How is your little garage AC working out?

I replaced the stand alone unit I had with a larger window unit as it just wasn't cutting it. When @klinetime574 was here it was in the mid to high 90s ouside and inside it was in the 70s. That's with no insulation at all in the walls or ceiling, plus a non insulated and drafty garage door.

I forgot to submit a post about my bumpers. These came from the Cruiser Yard and they were off of a FJ60 that had burnt up in a fire. There is a photo earlier in the post where you can see how rough they were. I sand blasted them and then hit them with two coats of Tnemec 2h Primer, than three coats of Tnemec 2H Gloss black paint. After that I had them spray in bed linered. They turned out looking pretty good and the finish is very tough.

It's sad how long it has been since I've been able to update this thread. Twins will do that to you. They are getting older now though and we've been able to find a reliable babysitter to watch them for a few hours on the weekends so the wife and I can take care of stuff. For me, last weekend and this coming weekend that means working on the Land Cruiser!

I was able to get the oil pan gasket changed out with a Toyota OEM one and it took very little time. The previous owner said that the engine was rebuilt and it looks like he wasn't kidding. When I had the pan off everything looked brand new and, from what I can tell, rebuilt well.

Next weekend Klinetime574 and I are going to try and tackle swapping out my rear main seal and the rear welch or expansion plug on the back of the motor. Does anyone know who makes a tool that will properly install the new plug? I've already ordered them from my local Toyota dealer and they should be here tomorrow. I found this kit but I'm not sure if it will work or not.

I had some help from klinetime574 and we got the transmission and transfer case ready to install. Unfortunately we tried to get that beast in with a standard floor jack and wound up having to stop. I'm thinking next time he can make it over (hopefully sooner rather than later) we'll get that installed.

In the mean time I wanted to get my axle finished up and hated putting that nasty, oil covered, thing up against nice new OME leaf springs so I cleaned it up, wire brushed it with my pneumatic tools, power washed it again, and painted it. I used Sherwin Williams heavy duty enamel primer and semi gloss black paint. It looks good but it's not going to when any awards. It should just keep it looking clean and rust free until maybe some day if I ever do a full restoration on this thing. I did order all new fasteners and made sure they were zinc plated. So it will be nice and black with shiny new hardware. It should look pretty good to anyone who bends over to look under the truck.

Shot with two coats of primer:
1019161518_zpsgdcpqtcp.jpg

Here it is with the first coat of black paint:
1019161554_zpsibxuk1uz.jpg

1019161555_zpscwddg64s.jpg

Ooo shiny. Yeah that Trans/Transfer with Fairey OD seems a little heavier than without the OD. (probably because it is)

Just can't wait to see this thing out of the garage!

I took some time during lunch today (I work from home and my desk is about 4' from my Land Cruiser) so I got my OME front leaf springs installed and the axle positioned into place. Tomorrow I need to paint the lower mounts that the U-boats go through and attach to as they are pretty ugly. Once I get everything installed I'll finish painting the frame above the axle. It's got some kind of residue on it I'll need to power wash off. All new fasteners everywhere including the differential. Those were a pain to find so I ordered them online. It's coming together nicely.

1027161602_zpseh6spuzu.jpg

Last edited:
No clue on the zerks. I just put them together when I did mine. Springs look good!

Love the color! You and kline are the only two I think I've seen with that shade of blue.

Keep it up!!

I've got the axle all bolted up to the spring pads. Thanks to @GDA62/100 for letting me borrow his SST Shim Tool. I was able to get everything set-up and ready to mount the knuckle up. Unfortunately the shim kit I bought only has a few shims and only with a .2 and .5 thickness. So I've got some shims on order with a local Toyota dealer and they should be here tomorrow.

Once the front axle is back together it's on to the back. I'm planning on just painting the back axle and doing a brake job. Unless I find a bad bearing I don't see a reason to go tearing it all apart. The only reason why I did so on the front was that it leaked like crazy. After the new suspension is all on I've just got to slide the transmission in and I should be rolling and driving.

I have an update to this thread and also a question.

My question is in regard to my pinion and the fact that when I took them apart there was no crush washer but one came with my kit. In doing some reading on here it looks like I must have the solid spacer and therefor don't need the crush washer. Here is my pinion. I'm just looking for some confirmation before I put all this stuff back together.

1F335D07-56AA-484A-841C-0E8C4166E1DC_zpssakivhyo.jpg

I finished up the front axle and then moved on to the back. The front was all nice and clean and I just had to do the back to get this thing rolling. I wound up selling some motorcycles and had some money in the budget. With ARB's "buy two lockers and get the compressor for free" sale going on I threw some money down on a set of front and rear lockers. I'm cleaning up the rear axle like I did the front and have started installing the ARB locker as well. So far it's been going well.

Here is the axle and some of the parts all sand blasted, primed and painted:

E928CE4A-1457-459F-A038-500D448AD793_zpsha5ml3ru.jpg

459C8210-5501-464A-B061-6DB972C4E988_zps6vmg98t5.jpg

7D8CA988-EA3E-412A-9D27-4255D0385FE3_zps78jsssqf.jpg

1BF0CE45-E15B-4304-BAA1-4AB6FAADAA6F_zpsnaygxfe4.jpg

BA291B4B-710F-49D7-878A-5B9D0F7BA50A_zps9y5t9r4y.jpg

67F9C87E-0A1E-4C7D-8457-DF9E70D669B0_zps3iixaeem.jpg

6A4750BD-E57E-4D36-BB10-41E4FA2C1BFE_zpsgmmhtkcc.jpg

My only helper lately. He's been more of a distraction than anything.

AD73B04D-F576-48B9-820D-2A04408F2C4A_zpsagghgp29.jpg

I wasn't about to shell out the money for a differential stand so I made this. It looks stupid but it works, which means it's not stupid. I just took a piece of 3/4" scrap plywood and drilled a 1-1/8" hole in the center. Then I screwed the little tie down points onto the plywood. The zip ties just keep it from falling over.

2FA67DBC-37FC-4242-9E5F-687CA22F3759_zpsmxjfsihz.jpg

Third member disassembled:

115FC717-F572-466B-8BDD-1923FB932801_zpsfwctlqox.jpg

One thing that is helping is having a 20 ton shop press and a bearing heater. Without those this would be a much harder job. I'm hoping to finish up the rear this weekend. Unfortunately, I just put the front end all back together and will now be taking it back apart. But it's for a good cause so I don't mind.

F077A6FB-5015-4B9A-959B-85240F83D86A_zpspgdki03x.png

4C7146D7-7524-40ED-AA01-10CF90FA91EA_zpscobqtaa0.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom