New Member Introduction (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wolff098

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello Everyone!
New to forum, I own a 1988 Fj62 and a 75 fj40.
Currently working on 62.
I have a question. The rear driver side panel is dented (Original Owner damaged). Should I have dent repaired or replace the panel? I have donor panel.

IMG_20230801_112001951.jpg

IMG_20230801_112038230.jpg

Welcome
More photos
Try football technique.

Last edited:
That’s not bad as far as dents go. Any collision shop should be and to fix that with minimal damage to the paint, or paint to match, depending on which technique they use. Nice color btw!

If the rest of the panel is in relatively good rust free condition better to repair the original panel. 60's have a nice gauge metal to work on.

Hello Everyone!
New to forum, I own a 1988 Fj62 and a 75 fj40.
Currently working on 62.
I have a question. The rear driver side panel is dented (Original Owner damaged). Should I have dent repaired or replace the panel? I have donor panel.

View attachment 3398853

View attachment 3398854
Welcome in!

Your panel looks like it's in good shape overall with no serious penetrating rust or creases from the denting. I would have it repaired by a good body shop and run with it. Someone who's even just decent with sheet metal can repair that damage easily.

My sheet metal skills are minimal and I'm confident I could do a great repair job on that myself even. No sweat for a professional. The 6x series body sheet metal is about equivalent to 22 gauge sheet, so pretty decent for an 80s era vehicle and worth preserving.

I'm also in the "leave the battle scars intact" camp, but if you really want it fixed then I would suggest as others have already that you find a shop that is willing to massage the dents out. Cutting it out, welding in the patch panel, and all the subsequent body work and paint to make it look right is more invasive and will wind up being more expensive. Plus you might find some rust behind there, and that's way easier to live with if you don't know it exists. lol

Yeah, that the way I'm leaning. I have a great paint and body guy. Just talked to him about project he may come out of retirement for this one.
Been buying parts from Toyota they needed Vin# turns out it's a 1987 fj62 manufacture in December 87.

Football repair:
Use a tombrady deflated ball in the void, add air ‘til panel reshapes. :D

Ok makes sense with the explanation. Showed my body and paint guy dent, he agreed leave the panel and remove dent.
Just picked up new H55f 5 speed in Oregon, when I was visiting my niece last week.
Have most conversion part ready to go.

Where can I find the paint color code?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom