For Sale New in the box Toyota H55 - 5 speed tranny with oiler / shifter package (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Brett,
I installed the H55F (60 series version) into my 78' FJ45 LPB from AUS RHD without any fuel cell issues. The transmission tunnel cover required modification to accommodate the shifter relocation and the drive shafts were resized. I also will install a rear axle with the park brake option. Not really a major modification in the big picture. I have done it twice now. The first time was on my 76' FJ40. Both times it was time and money well spent.

I'll get second in line if it has the 40 top plate

Brett,
they fit in 40 series with the late model fuel tank. I fought, and fought, and fought until I pulled the engine, bolted together, and reinstalled engine=tranny-transfer. Docking the transmission to bellhousing in car is a PITA if the t case is on, or trying to put t case on under car after tranny in.

Yes, you would need to retube both front (around 32") and rear driveshafts (about 18.5" flange to flange). If you reverse the rear springs you can gain another 1.5"'s.

parking brake solution with the best being a standard bendix system with single cylinder from a 1981+ J40, a J70 with perches moved in 3/4", or a cut down J60.

The shifter will not come out where the factory five speeds do, but a guy is making new blank covers to solve this for later model tubs.

Folks, there is NO WAY this has a forward j40 top plate if purchased new. Parts have been gone for 15 years. H55 in the '81 40 and '83 60 were the best driving mods I made. Good luck with the install or the sale.

Rick, thank you for your help! The shop already started putting it all back with the original 4 speed ( nothing wrong with it ) I just thought about getting a litter better highway gear.

Tha
Brett,
I installed the H55F (60 series version) into my 78' FJ45 LPB from AUS RHD without any fuel cell issues. The transmission tunnel cover required modification to accommodate the shifter relocation and the drive shafts were resized. I also will install a rear axle with the park brake option. Not really a major modification in the big picture. I have done it twice now. The first time was on my 76' FJ40. Both times it was time and money well spent.
nks

If these top plates are so valued I'd think someone in the aftermarket would be producing them. Terrain Tamer or the like. I wonder if the internals from the common top plate would swap in to a reproduction casting.

Here are the pics of my tranny and everything that comes with it.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

So that is a 60 series H55f. Relax everyone.

Yeah, I think in the previous reply #34 (almost 6 months ago), he said it was still for sale. Oh wait, he said it was sold! I see now how you could have made that mistake!

If you still need one, send me an email and I'll get you a price. sales@landcruiserspecialties.com

not to hijack the thread but if one does find the FJ 40 top cover then the new shift fork internals from the FJ 60 that come with the H55F will work but require two modified parts. I had a local shop spec them and have them machined.

not to hijack the thread but if one does find the FJ 40 top cover then the new shift fork internals from the FJ 60 that come with the H55F will work but require two modified parts. I had a local shop spec them and have them machined.
Meaning you found an empty 40 top cover and successfully swapped the 60 internals plus machined the two new bits? Start a new thread, post some details, you'll be a hero.

Indeed sir. R & R off-road (719 465 4594) here in Colorado Springs had them spec'd and machined for me. My H55F was right out of the box purchase in June 16.

Will do!

Indeed sir. R & R off-road (719 465 4594) here in Colorado Springs had them spec'd and machined for me. My H55F was right out of the box purchase in June 16.

Will do!

How much were the 2 parts as one offs? Looking forward to a separate thread on this topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom