New here, immediate rear spring / frame question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I was told about this forum from a friend with an FJ40. Dad and I recently picked up basically a Lego set of a 1975 FJ40. When we got it the rear axle was not attached and the rear frame seemed to be welded in an arrow pattern. The FJ did not come with a bumper and there is no bracing or anything like that. I attached some photos to ask if this is a patch for fix something or if this is a factory thing. Also if you look the springs are way to big, it’s the springs that we got with it and I don’t believe there the correct ones but I’m working through that. Any advice on the rear frame thing would be greatly appreciated. Thank you I’ve been scrolling through for a bit looking before posting so hopefully someone can help me out with this.

46CF7D88-8A4D-4B1A-8CD4-FECF451920CC.jpeg

AC364975-6D69-4EF9-B7AC-32E508C53700.jpeg

B829450B-F26D-4A89-9547-B98012972728.jpeg

EAFA21F0-E358-460B-A9C4-5EF9B04F3DCC.jpeg

628BCCD4-6A83-4C31-AB33-8CEDE2E4BDC3.jpeg

So I was told about this forum from a friend with an FJ40. Dad and I recently picked up basically a Lego set of a 1975 FJ40. When we got it the rear axle was not attached and the rear frame seemed to be welded in an arrow pattern. The FJ did not come with a bumper and there is no bracing or anything like that. I attached some photos to ask if this is a patch for fix something or if this is a factory thing. Also if you look the springs are way to big, it’s the springs that we got with it and I don’t believe there the correct ones but I’m working through that. Any advice on the rear frame thing would be greatly appreciated. Thank you I’ve been scrolling through for a bit looking before posting so hopefully someone can help me out with this.

View attachment 3059281

View attachment 3059282

View attachment 3059283

View attachment 3059284

View attachment 3059292
The frame has been poorly patched. The springs are the wrong springs. You can either repair the frame through a fabricator or replace it with new or used.

Ok thank you, I have quite a few projects and this is about third in line. I’ll most likely notch the frame weld a new patch in the frame and box it back in when I get to that point. Thank you for the quick response.

Well, you have a project. humpty d or a Phoenix. Did you also get an engine? Obviously the rear axle is not centered in the wheelwell. I will take some photos tomorrow of the rear frame and bumper structure, they should help going forward. Welcome to Mud !
:cheers:

So the body isn’t currently attached but it’s really close to factory hookups. And it’s clear from the bump stop mounts that the axle isn’t centered. I do have a complete i believe a 2F engine and about 5 large boxes of parts. Hood fenders and windshield are in perfect condition but the guy we pulled the frame and body out of a field.

24B32AC3-34D3-41C8-A708-5D739A397971.jpeg

CEDE933B-B9BB-44B3-8A03-CC79D3B3208C.jpeg

8ACCCCA6-DC45-4E2E-AEF3-36C40166F7C6.jpeg

The only rear bumper an FJ40.is the two small bumperettes. There is a rear frame member, two angle braces, triangle plates on the bottom where the rear crossmember and side rail meet and spring hangers that are riveted to those plates. Would suggest you find a 74-78 frame in the area to study and started sourcing the parts so when ready for the project you have what you need. 79 and later had change in both frame and tub including how the tub mounts to the frame. E-73 the rear frame member tail lights used a bracket the bolted to the frame verses tail lights mounting directly in the frame.member.

Pictures to help illustrate the original framing.
Axle to spring
AXLE-SPRING.jpg

Underside view corner brace
UNDERSIDE.jpg

Side view rear spring mount
REARMOUNT.jpg

Rear spring mount
REARSPRING.jpg

Wheel well
WHEELWELL.jpg

:cheers:

Your missing the entire rear cross member/ sill support & the assoc. 45* braces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom