New here. BJ73 curiosity (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, First post.

Just bought my first Landcruiser. Its a 1988 BJ73 in reasonable and tidy condition, drives well and has a sweet engine that someone has added a turbo.

Looking over it I noticed a curious modification to the front spring shackles. Each inner shackle has a piece of angle bolted too it and between them is a flat blade of steel. The effect is to tie both front springs together: as the spring shackle swings under spring load it is forcing the shackle on the opposite side spring to move in the same direction

I can't think of any advantage to this at all. Any ideas?

I forgot to take any photos and dont have the cruiser with me but in this pic you can just see the angle on the sides of the shackles and out of sight at the top is a flat strap of steel that connects the two. Hope that makes sense

spring.jpg

Hi, First post.

Just bought my first Landcruiser. Its a 1988 BJ73 in reasonable and tidy condition, drives well and has a sweet engine that someone has added a turbo.

Looking over it I noticed a curious modification to the front spring shackles. Each inner shackle has a piece of angle bolted too it and between them is a flat blade of steel. The effect is to tie both front springs together: as the spring shackle swings under spring load it is forcing the shackle on the opposite side spring to move in the same direction

I can't think of any advantage to this at all. Any ideas?

I'm curious, please post a couple of better pics.

Perhaps shackle reversal?

Maybe it was part of a towing system that has since been removed, and they were pulling between both springs? Like a flat-tow system, but custom made.

Needs a better pic , but if its what I think it is, I would be out with the angle grinder straight away. There is no logical reason to tie 2 leaf springs together. I suspect they were (mistakingly) trying to fix a problem.

is this added piece of steel just on the shackle? Looks like someone who thought he knows something thought this was a good idea for what ever reason? Or someone talked him into it?
Yes, it is a bit of steel probably about 2 1/2 inches wide and 1/4 inch thick that goes from shackle to shackle and is not attached to the chassis in any way

Its hard to see how it could work for long. The torque on the suspension shackles trying moving independently would crack the welds.

While I am back on the laptop, here is a photo of the turbo set up. Done a long time ago by the looks of it and maybe exhaust manifold turned upside down? I would be interested in any opinions...
turbo1.jpg
turbo2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom