New here and new to the J70 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I work for a medflight company with aircraft in Haiti. We have multiple J70 Cruisers and are having issues with one of them. The roads here are not favorable and one of our trucks got a battery light after hitting a large pothole. The alternator is putting out 7.7Vdc and 4.4Vac. Originally thought we busted the internals however after putting a new alternator on it did the same thing. Swapped internal regulators with a known good alternator, same result. Put it in a different truck and it works as advertised. I'm admittedly not familiar with these Land Cruisers and would appreciate any help! If this is posted to the wrong place I apologize in advance. Thank you!

IMG_6451.jpg

Hello
I assume the readings given are with the battery connected.
Are you sure your replacement regulator is really good (I.e. by having it moved to the other vehicle along with the alternator and saw it working good there)?
The voltage in the system is determined by both components: Battery and Alternator (incl Regulator)
So: Did you check the battery? Those may also crack or get an internal short circuit on a hard hit. The battery might show good voltage, still, but collapses once current is drawn or put in, resulting in
Voltage to drop rapidly . This might be the case due to an internal short circuit of the battery.
Suggest you to
- have your battery load-tested . Try to charge it with an external charger.
- put a battery known to be good in the faulty truck and see what it does.
- move the replacement regulator to a truck known to be good to make sure it really is OK.
Good Luck Ralf

Hello
I assume the readings given are with the battery connected.
Are you sure your replacement regulator is really good (I.e. by having it moved to the other vehicle along with the alternator and saw it working good there)?
The voltage in the system is determined by both components: Battery and Alternator (incl Regulator)
So: Did you check the battery? Those may also crack or get an internal short circuit on a hard hit. The battery might show good voltage, still, but collapses once current is drawn or put in, resulting in
Voltage to drop rapidly . This might be the case due to an internal short circuit of the battery.
Suggest you to
- have your battery load-tested . Try to charge it with an external charger.
- put a battery known to be good in the faulty truck and see what it does.
- move the replacement regulator to a truck known to be good to make sure it really is OK.
Good Luck Ralf
Ralf
Thank you for the reply! I checked the battery and put them both in a known good vehicle, and both worked properly. In the infinite wisdom of google and youtube we checked and noticed that we have an open line from the b post on the alternator to the supply of the fusable link. I tied in a wire to give it a direct connection and all the problems disappeared. I don't intend on it being a permanent fix however given our location, it's working for now.
Brice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom