New here - 3 LC’s in my garage :) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JK7

Threads
2 2017 Land Cruisers - black on black
1 2004 Land Cruiser - matte black & tan exterior

I’ll post a bunch of pics tomorrow.

Biggest question I have right now is - and yes, I searched the forum extensively lol - is understanding how to do a 2nd row bench seat to bucket seat conversion in one of my 2017 LC’s.. Like I know the 2017 GX460 has a bucket option, but is hardware there same? Can I just swap them out with an impact drill and call it a day? Need to make the change because we just found out we’re expecting a 4th kid in March - I don’t want to have to get a Suburban :’)

I also plan to do a full chrome delete in the future on one of the 17’s. And probably matte white the 3rd one to make a whole “imperial” Star Wars fleet.

Welcome to ih8mud! I wish I could help with the second row captains chairs, but that is the first time I have heard of the option or conversion. I’m sure you will get some answers soon.

Reactions: JK7
Good to have you on board. Seems unlikely to be a straight swap because of seat belt issues, let alone bolt holes and fit. With 4 kids in there safety is job one. Any second row also has to tilt for 3rd row access?

Note, some trim levels of the Sequoia come with captains chairs and a center aisle (Limited?).

Where in Michigan?

Last edited:
Good to have you on board. Seems unlikely to be a straight swap because of seat belt issues, let alone bolt holes and fit. With 4 kids in there safety is job one. Any second row also has to tilt for 3rd row access?

Note, some trim levels of the Sequoia come with captains chairs and a center isle (Limited?).

Where in Michigan?
Good point. Didn’t really think through the seat belt part yet.. Also it’ll need to work with car seats lol.

I’m in Livingston County.

I don’t know about captains chairs (with arm rests) but in the US the right side seat is smaller than the left. If the left side is smaller in RHD markets you might see if you could source once of those.

Note that at least in my 2013 the back of the center section drops to be a double armrest so it’s like having 2 seats, not 3 in that case. It’s not any more convenient to using the 3rd row - you’ll still likely want to flip the second row up for access - but it does separate the kiddos a bit in the 2nd row

I forget who but there was extensive discussion on someone cutting up their 60% seat to make it a 40.. and they eventually backed off the idea. The different market 40% portions did come up but I think it fell apart with the realization the anchors in the floor are asymmetric so those seats wouldn’t bolt in.

I don’t think anyone tried the sequoia setup..

I’ll try to do some digging today

Edit: the mustache beat me to it. Well done.

I had a gx460 and didn't like the rear seats. it's like sitting on a rock compared to the 200 seats. i'd suggest you go sit in one for drive and see if you really want to pursue it.

I had a gx460 and didn't like the rear seats. it's like sitting on a rock compared to the 200 seats. i'd suggest you go sit in one for drive and see if you really want to pursue it.
I mean it’ll mostly be for kids and their car seats for the foreseeable future. So I’m okay with that. I just need a way to get the older ones into the backseat without having to go through the tailgate.

Also, minivan is a never happening - would get a full on conversion van before that.
Congrats on the incoming #4!

With four kids (and I assume all car seat age), that is what a minivan is designed for. You could probably find an SUV that would work - maybe the sequoia or a full size GMC model of some sort, but no matter what, it won't do the 'many kid task' as well as a minivan.

There are some AWD minivans out there, if you need the AWD aspect.

The simple fact that the middle row has a flip seat to access row 3 in the USA 200s makes four car seats a non starter, especially while the baby seat is required for the first 2 years. Never mind that with the row 3 in use there is very little storage behind that seat - it won't fit the mega strollers, baby gear, and all that stuff you have for little kids even if you could fit all the seats. There are some boutique 3 across single unit seats (or there were, 10 years ago), but they aren't infant compatible. All that said @radman is rolling with all the kids, and somehow makes it work. Maybe he has some pointers to help out.

A minivan easily accommodates all this stuff. They get good gas mileage, drive like a car, and are made for family use, with sliding side doors, easy 3rd row access, and lots of behind seat storage. Suggest you hold your nose, drive a minivan for five years while your kids age up, and then move back into a 200.

If I had 3+ kids, the Navigator would be in my garage asap! Granted, a minivan would be the wise choice but the Navi is pretty easy as a daily driver if you live rural or the suburbs.

I mean it’ll mostly be for kids and their car seats for the foreseeable future. So I’m okay with that. I just need a way to get the older ones into the backseat without having to go through the tailgate.

I think you have the wrong vehicles for this point in your life. Sell 1 or 2 and get something with a split second row.

Congrats on the incoming #4!

With four kids (and I assume all car seat age), that is what a minivan is designed for. You could probably find an SUV that would work - maybe the sequoia or a full size GMC model of some sort, but no matter what, it won't do the 'many kid task' as well as a minivan.

There are some AWD minivans out there, if you need the AWD aspect.

The simple fact that the middle row has a flip seat to access row 3 in the USA 200s makes four car seats a non starter, especially while the baby seat is required for the first 2 years. Never mind that with the row 3 in use there is very little storage behind that seat - it won't fit the mega strollers, baby gear, and all that stuff you have for little kids even if you could fit all the seats. There are some boutique 3 across single unit seats (or there were, 10 years ago), but they aren't infant compatible. All that said @radman is rolling with all the kids, and somehow makes it work. Maybe he has some pointers to help out.

A minivan easily accommodates all this stuff. They get good gas mileage, drive like a car, and are made for family use, with sliding side doors, easy 3rd row access, and lots of behind seat storage. Suggest you hold your nose, drive a minivan for five years while your kids age up, and then move back into a 200.
Thanks!

I just can’t do the minivan though. I just sold our 15 Yukon Xl Denali because gas was nuts and I was like ehh, we can make it work with 3.. But now with 4, I know something has to give.

I just honestly hate how those trucks drive compared to the LC.. And the minivan is just one thing me and my wife just can’t do lol.

Thanks!

I just can’t do the minivan though. I just sold our 15 Yukon Xl Denali because gas was nuts and I was like ehh, we can make it work with 3.. But now with 4, I know something has to give.

I just honestly hate how those trucks drive compared to the LC.. And the minivan is just one thing me and my wife just can’t do lol.
I hear you. I sold an RX-7 convertible and got the minivan when #3 arrived. It's been a perfectly useful tool for the time it was needed (now #3 is 10). It is made for the little kids life stage, and fits it just like a 2 dr sports car fits other life stages. Now #1 will be using the minivan as their first driver car, and I'm looking at convertibles, I figure they'll be plenty available over the winter when this recession kicks in, and I'll be waiting . . . along the way picked up the LX570 when they could finally sit 3 across again (#3 was 6 at the time).

Maybe the full size van is your future, but it will get the same MPG as the Denali did. And they're a pain to park at the Target.

Have you considered the new ‘23 sequoia? Three rows, pretty good media reviews, new hybrid power train for good power and fuel economy, and a solid rear axle. I’ve heard the platform is more closely related to the 300 series than previous models were.

I completely understand the desire to make the Land Cruisers work for this, they are wonderful for so many reasons.....but ideal daily hauling for 4 kids, not so much. I'm not sure about using the GX's captain chairs, but I'd be pretty surprised if that could work given the different platforms. I'd also be pretty concerned about the compromises to the stock safety systems like the curtain airbags and seatbelts, especially with the precious cargo. I've been a volunteer firefighter in my area for quite a while now and have had to do extrications and as well built as the 200 series is, when bad things happen you definitely want the full capability of the safety systems.

I'll echo the minivan comments. I've got 3 of my own and when the youngest two were babies , the sliding doors and room of the Sienna were magical. I am not planning on ever getting rid of my LX, but I have to say the new Sienna Woodland Edition looks like a damn good road trip option. And 30+mpg is big savings in gas.

Also, do yourself a favor and look at a quick youtube video of the Honda Odyssey magic seat.

Otherwise, I like the looks and room of the Yukon AT4/Tahoe Z71 and the newest models with the IRS have great 3rd rows. Long term reliability of course may be up in the air. There's also the new Sequoia coming out that might be worth a look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom