New FJ62 Owner, 1988. P R O J E C T (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HMP

Threads
Welp, after inquiring last Friday (and then getting married on Saturday and taking a honeymoon), I know own a 88 62.
She's a project. I'll post pics later, but it's a white 1988, automatic, no power options (manual widows, doors, mirrors), runs good but looks rough.
Im going to have lots of questions and going to be looking to buy lots of little things, especially interior bits.

But Im excited!

Pics and such to come. I'll be taking LOTS of pictures to document this 'project' today. Im just wanting to get it sort of to new-ish. Just want to enjoy driving it, take it camping, tow a motorcycle etc

Ok, here come the pics. Took quite a few. It's rough, man, she's going to take a lot of TLC but Im stoked.

8FzkWi1.jpg

FcH267w.jpg

e04FG3r.jpg

HtlE4QV.jpg

l31lQXu.jpg

o3bEib2.jpg

cCLD32a.jpg

mYtukbb.jpg

ZivnoLi.jpg

uflKmRv.jpg

ktDHd9B.jpg

6hcsVku.jpg

2JiYDC3.jpg

zHzI7vl.jpg

gn2Hndm.jpg

fjNmeqT.jpg

8uK9RF9.jpg

bt0c6z4.jpg

6ItDYKY.jpg

xZhO5sM.jpg

She's a project. I'll post pics later, but it's a white 1988, automatic, no power options (manual widows, doors, mirrors), runs good but looks rough.
Hey Mine is the opposite and also just bought a white 1988 FJ62. Runs likes crap, but looks good(outside atleast)

Best of luck, I think we on a similar path!

Reactions: HMP
As I stated, lots of issues to work on/fix - some big, some small.
I started on a small one today and decided to stop at one door for now as I just need to get new speakers - let me explain.

Lbjuwkx.jpg

This is as far as the front windows would roll down - PO said it was due to the door speakers, it was hitting the magnet on them. Ok, let me add a spacer and that should fix it...and it did! But as I was messing with these Polk speakers, I noticed that the foam/rubber outside of the cone was cracking and tearing. So, on what Im reading on IH8MUD, I think I'll be looking at some kicker units to replace and then it'll sound better and just WORK.

Driver's side done with some nylon spacers, wife approves.
luF7LA3.jpg

lx3yQ8h.jpg

One thing I negotiated for was this top rack/basket. I looked online, briefly, and these seem quite expensive (this is coming from a man who has never even price shopped one of these ha)

YkeK1Kq.jpg

mYmPIdf.jpg

Underneath pics - only one side of the rear sway bar is attached: there's not even another mount there to attach it to - need help here!
9tUpSn4.jpg

On the front - this is the drivers side shock, and then Ill post the passenger's side - one has a little bushing/spacer, driver's side doesnt. Again, NEED HELP!
Also, all four shocks are Old Man Emu brand, which Ive heard of that brand from a friend but these might be old, who knows.

auTa556.jpg

fFTk077.jpg

1ShC0dt.jpg

And me crawling around taking pics underneath of the beast

HYju7EP.jpg

Hey Mine is the opposite and also just bought a white 1988 FJ62. Runs likes crap, but looks good(outside atleast)

Best of luck, I think we on a similar path!
Im new to old 4x4 stuff- Ive only had one 4wd vehicle before and it was a 03 Pathfinder - this is MUCH different than Im used to.
I need help! ha

Welcome! You got this buddy! I’ve seen worse and they get brought back to life. You will have all the help you need right on this forum. I’ll give my 2 cents and hopefully it helps. I have found tackling small goals each day keeps the sanity and gives you little accomplishments throughout the process. My advice (and this is strictly my opinion) is to get it mechanically sound. Start with drivetrain, brakes, steering and lighting (headlights and taillights), then move to the “cosmetics”. For the rear sway bar bracket (it’s missing) you can get replacements from a couple of different vendors on the forum. Trail-tailor is the first that comes to mind because I’m gonna be buying some when I start my 62 LS swap project. I’ll put the link for them below. Your shocks are Old Man Emu (ARB). Based on your photo it appears that one of them is missing the rubber bushing and top washer, the bushing is supposed to be “sandwiched” between the washers like the other picture. I believe you can buy the bushings separate. Like I said, just get it “road worthy” and safe first, then move onto the appearance type stuff. Hope this helps. Don’t be afraid to post questions on here, there are some IH8MUD members that will comment about anything and everything that THEY think you should be doing, just go at your own pace and do the research and reach out here. You’re going to get the negative comments and some people just love to make people feel dumb, but keep in mind they knew very little when they started too and most of their “knowledge” is second, third and even 4th hand info that, let’s be honest, they got here on MUD. Just remember that a vehicle in the shape yours is in will require blood, sweat, and tears but more importantly $$$. But like I said, you got this, and just enjoy the process.

Trail-tailor rear sway bar link:

3A3AF6BE-AEDB-474E-8EBF-92318A8AFA97.jpeg

120D2D65-66CE-46D1-A2E6-BD282A2A5761.jpeg

78B229B2-C4AB-4433-928B-5AB31E3BFEA3.jpeg

Just to give you an idea here’s mine before and after. It has taken a year to get it to this point and I feel I’m only halfway there. But she drives great and at this point that’s all I care about.

My oldest friend also has a 62, 1989. I sent him those shock photos and he sent me a link to some bushings, they should arrive today.

I will take the advice of @LETSROLLEM and just do a little at a time.
I KNOW it's going to get pricey, but I think I got it cheap enough (ugh, I still didnt want to give over that many 100s) that I can come out good on this/be cheaper than if I found a rust free example etc.
My friend said to expect to spend about 3g or a bit more. Im ok with that.

Ive got a leak near the front, two things, I think. One seems to be oil, the other is clear and not slick like oil. No smell, either.

I have to get tires for it, rears are shot.
I will be tackling the bushings tomorrow, fresh all around should do it a little good.
I'll replace the wiper blades since theyre old and that's easy too. Slowly by slowly, it'll improve and I'll be documenting all work on this.

I also really need to fix the glove box - it's missing the striker in the box, so the glove box doesnt stay closed. ALSO, it's missing something from keeping the glove box door at a 90* angle - it just flops down. I dont know what's supposed to go there, so expect a thread coming shortly on that...

Im getting speakers so I can roll the windows down all the way. I could (and have with the driver's door) just do some nylon spacers...but these speakers are shot already. So Im looking at a set of shallow Pioneer units...actually, screw it, BRB.

Ok, speakers ordered off of Amazon, be here tomorrow.
So then I can have BOTH front door windows be totally functional.

BODYWORK will be key on this, stop and eliminate rust.

But, yeah, just a little at a time. While still giving attention to my other fun car, my 91 Turbo MR2

I82JpQd.jpg

SPLf72r.jpg

That MR2 is sweet...and so is the Cruiser.

You'll get tons of advice, but for my money one of the best things a new Land Cruiser owner can do is get under the truck and swap out all the fluids: oil, coolant, power steering fluid, ATF (search this forum for "rodney flush"), brake fluid, front and rear diffs, and transfer case. Also get under there with a grease gun and lube up the u-joints etc. Doing all of that stuff will force you to get to know the truck, and you'll start to notice things that are easy to miss at first. It also gives you a solid baseline as you make the truck "yours."

Then you can move on to basic tune-up stuff like plugs and wires, etc. And then as you get more familiar with the truck, you can get on to bigger jobs like setting the timing and rebuilding the steering knuckles (you didn't post any pics of the steering knuckles but if you see oil dripping from the bottom of either knuckle, you can count on doing a knuckle rebuild at some point).

The best thing you can do for yourself and the truck is to get a hold of a Factory Service Manual. You can download them here on Mud.

Good luck and enjoy!

My favorite part: The hose that is hose clamped to the radio antenna.

You got this!
lol yes, the mast is broken.
The motor works, I tried it today, the bottom piece of metal tubing is all sorts of messed up. I just cut it off...but, sadly, some hose has to be used to keep it slightly supported, even now.

Its now on my [growing] list of things to buy and do.

@diesellibrarian Great advice! Thank you for a really awesome reply here

These steering knuckles - where are they found? Again, this is all new to me, Im not familiar with 4x4

These steering knuckles - where are they found? Again, this is all new to me, Im not familiar with 4x4
The knuckle is the assembly that pivots on the big ball at each end of the front axle. It has several components, including your front wheel bearings and spindle, the Birfield CV joint and stub axle, and locking hubs. The brake calipers mount to the knuckle, as do the relay rods for your front steering. Rebuilding the knuckles is a messy job but well within reach of a person with moderate mechanical ability. I did mine in my driveway over a weekend.

Anyway, if you see oil dripping from the bolts on the bottom of the knuckle, it means that the oil seal in your front axle has failed and gear oil from the diff is leaking out the end of the axle housing. You have to remove the whole knuckle to replace the seal, so that's as good a time as any to rebuild your front end. Might as well do tie rod ends and brake pads, too, while you're in there, haha. It's not something you have to do often, and your truck may not need it right away, but something to keep in mind as you work to make your truck a reliable go-anywhere vehicle.

The knuckle is the assembly that pivots on the big ball at each end of the front axle. It has several components, including your front wheel bearings and spindle, the Birfield CV joint and stub axle, and locking hubs. The brake calipers mount to the knuckle, as do the relay rods for your front steering. Rebuilding the knuckles is a messy job but well within reach of a person with moderate mechanical ability. I did mine in my driveway over a weekend.

Anyway, if you see oil dripping from the bolts on the bottom of the knuckle, it means that the oil seal in your front axle has failed and gear oil from the diff is leaking out the end of the axle housing. You have to remove the whole knuckle to replace the seal, so that's as good a time as any to rebuild your front end. Might as well do tie rod ends and brake pads, too, while you're in there, haha. It's not something you have to do often, and your truck may not need it right away, but something to keep in mind as you work to make your truck a reliable go-anywhere vehicle.
I hope you'll continue, as well as others, being so awesome and helpful. I'll try to post a pic of the front axle tomorrow.

So today I did my wipers, I bought my speakers, got some bushings in for the top shock mount, and just paid a guy on here for the two pieces I need to fix my glovebox. It'll be a slow, boring thread, but Im still pumped to make it better and better.

Congrats and welcome to the madness
It’s already way cooler than the jeep next door 👍

Congrats and welcome to the madness
It’s already way cooler than the jeep next door 👍
I told my wife - I really want a toyota of some kind, would do a pathfinder again or an older bronco...but I have no desire for a wrangler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom