New FJ62 Owner, 1988. P R O J E C T (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lots of potential and low miles on that FJ62. Don't feel overwhelmed - you have a lot to do, but you'll get there. You might make a master list of all the 'needs' sorted by area (body, frame, suspension, interior) and then prioritize and knock them off the list.

You might make a master list of all the 'needs' sorted by area (body, frame, suspension, interior) and then prioritize and knock them off the list.

Its how I did things. Its fun to look back at the list now and see all the stuff I thought I'd never get to at the time, but that's now checked off. The instinct is to want to get in and do everything at once. Just a little at a time. Do it once and do it right. No shortcuts. Took me years to get to what's below and there is still stuff on the list not done. Just be patient and you will get there OP. Drivability and safety stuff first, then move to the fun stuff. Just so many steps to it, but its all part of the fun. Remember to support all the great MUD vendors whenever possible.

GL and HTH.

IMG_6018.jpg

67840692186__474A21CB-3A06-41FB-B779-40AA0B400B90.jpg

I just recently bought a somewhat rough 60 as well in November 2021 and have been going through every inch of it. I had never owned a solid axle truck either before the 60 so it was a learning curve for me as well. There's a ton of good info on this forum as well as knowledge from folks in our ONSC club.

Good luck with the project! I look forward to seeing your progress.

You can check out my thread in my signature to see the order of operations I went through with my truck over the past 8-9 months.

Reactions: HMP
Its how I did things. Its fun to look back at the list now and see all the stuff I thought I'd never get to at the time, but that's now checked off. The instinct is to want to get in and do everything at once. Just a little at a time. Do it once and do it right. No shortcuts. Took me years to get to what's below and there is still stuff on the list not done. Just be patient and you will get there OP. Drivability and safety stuff first, then move to the fun stuff. Just so many steps to it, but its all part of the fun. Remember to support all the great MUD vendors whenever possible.

GL and HTH.

View attachment 3089534
View attachment 3089539
Love those classic wheels, do you have a link? (assuming they arent stock, im a newb)

Love those classic wheels, do you have a link? (assuming they arent stock, im a newb)

Some original used Toyota FJ40 15 inch steelies I had blasted and powder coated:

IMG_5936.jpg

Photo12.jpg

You can still get these new from Toyota. Just go to any Toyota dealer. I think the part number is 42601-60072 but will want to check me on that. City Racer LLC makes a 16 inch version of these as well I believe. I wanted some Toyota originals for my truck so got some from a guy here on MUD. HTH.

My wife, looking up 62s on social media while laying her head on my lap.

BWANhBZ.jpg

Last night I changed out the speakers in the front doors. Ordered some pioneer units that are a shallow design, so now both windows roll all the way down, no spacers etc

Ive got the bits to fix the glovebox on the way.
I'll LIKELY do the front shock bushings today, one is missing, the other is probably super worn.
Little by little

dgVr8dn.jpg

The knuckle is the assembly that pivots on the big ball at each end of the front axle. It has several components, including your front wheel bearings and spindle, the Birfield CV joint and stub axle, and locking hubs. The brake calipers mount to the knuckle, as do the relay rods for your front steering. Rebuilding the knuckles is a messy job but well within reach of a person with moderate mechanical ability. I did mine in my driveway over a weekend.

Anyway, if you see oil dripping from the bolts on the bottom of the knuckle, it means that the oil seal in your front axle has failed and gear oil from the diff is leaking out the end of the axle housing. You have to remove the whole knuckle to replace the seal, so that's as good a time as any to rebuild your front end. Might as well do tie rod ends and brake pads, too, while you're in there, haha. It's not something you have to do often, and your truck may not need it right away, but something to keep in mind as you work to make your truck a reliable go-anywhere vehicle.
Well, crap. I noticed an oil spot by my driver's front wheel. I guess my steering knuckle is going bad.
Is there a writeup anywhere on here? (Im sure there is, Im doing a search for 'knuckles' right now and on p6 looking around for information)

Reactions: HMP
Were you able to find a FSM for your truck? I'm looking for a 3FE manual.

I have this one, but not sure it's the one you are looking for. It's not specifically for the 3FE but I think includes some 3FE information. Maybe not as detailed as you would like. I'll include it here in case its helpful. HTH.

Attachments

• FJ62-2.pdf
    12.9 MB · Views: 34

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom