New FJ60 Owner + Stereo Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the info. Found some guys locally that did the bracket and faceplate in abs, which they recommended and cheaper than nylon) for $28 for both. Polyx3dprinting. Said it was fine to contact them to work something out.

Bracket worked great and I used the larger faceplate for my alpine opening. It was easier to detach the faceplate. I did a little trimming around so the face plate slid over the receiver and then glued it together.

IMG_7303.JPG
IMG_7299.JPG
IMG_7296.JPG
IMG_7324.JPG
IMG_7319.JPG

The head unit is mounted using the factory mounting bolts and a 3D printed bracket. The bracket has a pinch bolt to hold the stereo in place. It took a few tries but it fits really well now.

I also printed a faceplate as I didn’t want to cut up the factory faceplate. This faceplate would probably work for other head units, but it might not. I didn’t sand the build lines out of mine because I think it looks better with them, but you could sand it smooth. I added a high clearance ("HC") version to the folder above which should work with more head units.

View attachment 2431224

View attachment 2431225

View attachment 2431226

View attachment 2431227

View attachment 2431228

Awesome! I just did something similar designing a radio mount and 3D printing it. It's great to be able to solve problems creatively.

Frank

Thanks for the info. Found some guys locally that did the bracket and faceplate in abs, which they recommended and cheaper than nylon) for $28 for both. Polyx3dprinting. Said it was fine to contact them to work something out.

Bracket worked great and I used the larger faceplate for my alpine opening. It was easier to detach the faceplate. I did a little trimming around so the face plate slid over the receiver and then glued it together.

View attachment 2528203View attachment 2528202View attachment 2528201View attachment 2528213View attachment 2528219
Looks great! Quick question, is that a dash pad cover you have or original dash? Looks to be in great shape.

View attachment 2528203View attachment 2528202View attachment 2528201View attachment 2528213View attachment 2528219
I contacted these guys and just asked if they still had the FJ60 radio bracket files and they did! Just ordered and they shipped in about a week. $52
Thanks again!

I contacted these guys and just asked if they still had the FJ60 radio bracket files and they did! Just ordered and they shipped in about a week. $52
Thanks again!
If you ever need anything else 3D printed please let me know. I have much more reasonable rates. I can print almost anything that is smaller than 12"x12"x16" in one piece.

If you ever need anything else 3D printed please let me know. I have much more reasonable rates. I can print almost anything that is smaller than 12"x12"x16" in one piece.
I'll bite, how much would you charge to print the face plate and bracket?

Just a quick reminder to print these in ABS, PETG, or Nylon. PLA will melt in this location. I'm so pumped you guys are using the designs.

I'm working on the rear speakers and will post those files and an overview sometime over the next few weeks. I'm using the same Polk 525 speakers and mounting them in the most OEM way I can come up with (without messing with trying to get them into the rear doors). This involved creating a bracket and speaker grill. I created a CAD model of the front speaker grill (the blue one below) and printed copies to use on the rear. The opening is annoyingly small, but the front speakers sound great so it must not matter much. The bracket is flat and could be easily fabricated, but it was just easier for me to print it.

IMG_4229.jpg

IMG_4238.jpg

IMG_4234.jpg

IMG_4228.jpg

IMG_4214.jpg

$30 printed out of PETG. Do you want the high clearance version or the normal version of the face plate?
Normal version seems like the best option since I can enlarge the opening if I need to. Feel free to PM to continue the discussion

I'd go with the high clearance version. This just leaves a tiny bit more room for the radio face. I can barely remove my radio face because the fit is so tight so I'm probably going to change to the high clearance at some point.
Normal version seems like the best option since I can enlarge the opening if I need to. Feel free to PM to continue the discussion

I
@coultl Thanks for posting these files! That rear speaker mount looks awesome. Do you have to drill any holes in the fender or does it mount to factory holes?
It will use three of the existing holes but I'm going to drill one additional hole as I think it's needed. Overall, very minimal messing with the original steel.

I

It will use three of the existing holes but I'm going to drill one additional hole as I think it's needed. Overall, very minimal messing with the original steel.
Nice! My dad wants to put a sound system in his FJ60 but doesn't like cutting or drilling into things. I will let him know that you are working on rear speaker mounts. I am trying to come up with a way to fit 6.5" speakers in his front doors without cutting anything but I don't think it is possible.

Nice! My dad wants to put a sound system in his FJ60 but doesn't like cutting or drilling into things. I will let him know that you are working on rear speaker mounts. I am trying to come up with a way to fit 6.5" speakers in his front doors without cutting anything but I don't think it is possible.
Yeah, I was poking around the front and I think fitting larger speakers would be really tough. The biggest issue is that the speaker can't be too deep. The Polk 525 is a pretty shallow speaker and it still needs to be spaced out to keep the magnet away from the window. Also, the speaker grill is so small that a larger speaker might not get the air it needs.

All that said, I think others have found a way to do it!

Yeah, I was poking around the front and I think fitting larger speakers would be really tough. The biggest issue is that the speaker can't be too deep. The Polk 525 is a pretty shallow speaker and it still needs to be spaced out to keep the magnet away from the window. Also, the speaker grill is so small that a larger speaker might not get the air it needs.

All that said, I think others have found a way to do it!
Yes I found out that depth is the problem too. I was going to try and stick the speaker out of the door more and print a new grill but then I would have to cut a larger hole in the door card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom