New Dome Lights based on George’s LEDs (Gauging Interest) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Awesome. FYI, there is already a TaskLED driver based map light on the market, in case that helps with deciding on going down the road of producing those.
Looking forward to this!

Yeah I see that. I'm not sure what driver or LED they're using. Most likely one of George's existing drivers. Part of the reason George is designing a new driver for our domes is because the existing drivers he has in his inventory were really meant for another application and contain some extra circuitry that make them a little more inefficient for our dome/map lights.

I'll probably offer a very similar map light and the price should be in line with the other one you mentioned.

Scott

Yes, you are correct, the warmer K is less light but I doubt you or I would ever see the difference. I'd be interested to hear your feedback once you compare a 3K and 4K side by side !

Btw, thanks for doing the research and I look forward to whatever you produce. I am so sick of the cheap retrofit led boards that flicker, fail and have terrible cri's and K temps !!!!!

Rgds...
Completely unrelated to dome lights, but I built an LED fixture for an aquarium using Cree XP-Gs, both neutral white (4000k) and warm white (3000k). Warm whites are very yellow. I think the 4000k is a nice color choice. Here's the best photos I have of the setup:

Warm white 3000k
5593734063_bbd528a968_o.jpg

And here's a true-life photo showing the actual color. You can see the difference between the 3000k and 4000k very well here
5594386818_09ab0bdfe2_o.jpg

Combined color output
5594368592_36e3288ef4_b.jpg

I agree, the 3000K is warm and therefore closer to the incandescent/tungsten halogen which is what our interior lights originally were. The 4000k is cooler and brighter so I think it comes down to individual choice. I'm 3000K all the way or warmer !

I hope our vendor can offer both, maybe at a different price, since the LED driver specs should be identical !

Rgds...

Awesome! Count me in for 2pcs.....

Are these available yet? As a new fj80 owner, I am eager to try a set...

Count me in for 2 overhead lights and a map light.

In for two overheads and a map light as well.

Hope you make some extra's

I would like a complete set for my 94 LC. Two domes and the map lights. Would love to possibly be able to later buy another one when I add another dome light further back.

Thanks.

Count me in for 2 dome lights and a map light as well! I have been wishing for this for a while!

ETA on Dome Lights

Hi,Thought I would post and ask the million dollar question: When will these be available?Thanks,
I have George’s first generation dome lights and they’re still going strong but I was interested in seeing what it would take to upgrade them. So I contacted George and we’ve been talking about ways to create a new dome light by using a new, more efficient driver design and a better LED.

I made a prototype of a new dome light using one of Georges latest driver boards, the CC1A, which is fully automotive rated. I added a Cree XP-G natural white (4000k temperature) LED and I’m happy to report that the light is both brighter and much more pleasing in color than the first gen dome LEDs that are in my cruiser now. While the cool white light coming from the first gen Luxeons reminds me of being in a laundromat, the more natural color emitted from the Cree XP-G has more of an incandescent-like glow.

If enough interest is expressed, I can go ahead and ask George to design a new driver board based on his CC1A driver. I’ll order a run of these with natural white Cree XP-G LEDs. I think I can offer the new dome lights for sale at around $45 apiece.

The new dome lights should emit, according to Cree, 120 lumens while drawing only 100 mA and have a pleasing natural white color that is closer to daylight.

The benefits of the new LED domes:

• Greater light output
• Low amp draw
• Long life
• High cri index
• Very pleasing warm white color
• High output
• Protection against voltage spikes
• Reverse polarity protection

Lights on

I'm interested in two domes.

I am interested in the map and door lights as well sir.

Zona

i will take three domes and a map light when they come available

Hi,Thought I would post and ask the million dollar question: When will these be available?Thanks,

They're coming! I was actually supposed to have them this last Monday but there was a delay caused by the manufacturer. So I estimate they'll be ready for distribution in about two weeks. I did get a couple samples and I'll post pics as soon as I can so you guys can see what the finished product looks like.

Scott

yessss i have the other ones from this forum and the novelty of being blinded every time i open a door.

definitely in to replace all the dome lights and map light!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom