new cylynders...brake pedal to the floor after bleeding...WTH? (real time) (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i had the same ting so i just gravity bleed my bracks for 1 hr. if you dont know what gravity bleeding is open all bleeders let it drip just keep a eye on dot3. and pin-head has the other good way to bleed. at are shop its some one pumps the brack 3 times and holds, then open the bleeder then close it back up do this at lest 5 times per.

Last edited:
Hi again Ben

I'm so confused here!

My cruisers not in this age group (because it's 1979 and not 1972) and I'm not familiar with your vehicle's history (so perhaps I should just butt out?)

Changing cylinder bore sizes (master and/or wheel cylinders) can:
  • make your master run out of pedal-travel before your brakes are applied
  • cause your vehicle to pull violently to one side (if the bore-size on one side of an axle doesn't match the other)
  • make the pedal feel far too stiff
  • make it impossible to get pedal-travel within spec
  • weaken your overall braking effect
  • transfer the braking effort incorrectly from one axle to the other (making it much more likely for you to lose control under heavy braking)
  • etc
So surely your first step should first be to check which sizes Mr Toyota used on your cruiser for your master, front cylinders, and rear cylinders? (And I imagine this is easy enough to find out from your production year and month.)

I would never advise relying on what any parts-supplier says (no matter what their reputation may be). And I certainly would never fit what they supply, when it differs markedly from I had before, without questioning/researching it.

I have drums all round and my cruiser has bigger-bore cylinders on the front than the rear because that's where most of the stopping power is required. (But for all I know, Mr Toyota may have used different methods on your 1972 :meh:)

In other words, in your shoes I'd want to know what Mr Toyota chose for my master and wheel cylinder bore sizes. Then I'd look at what I have and see what does and doesn't match before trying to get what I've got to work together.

What am I missing here?

:beer:

You are missing nothing...:p

I agree....All solid questions that need answering .....first step is to address the MC....no sense in doing anything more with what I believe is a tired old faulty MC sucking in air....then pull the wheel one by one and asses what each cylinder bore size is on the rig now and take it from there.,...stay tuned....more pics and updates to follow!

Cheers!:wrench::banana:
Ben

Maybe you got lucky, but when you are having problems it is best to stick with the 2 man method where you can build up the pressure and give it a good squirt and be sure that you are not sucking air back.

Unless you have some kind of thread sealer on the check valve dealybob, it will let air in on the upstroke.
I am not in disagreement with you, the 2 man method IS the best way(I didn't have help). I'm just offering another option that worked for me.

the one on the left is a front wheel cylinder, and the one on the right is a rear wheel cylinder.

The rears are all the same girth from the top to bottom the fronts are have that larger bore on one side. I am correct in that? That's the way it is on my 1970.

Here are some links from NAPA so you can see the differences. (They had the most pictures)
Rear - http://napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=UBP37198_0329758959
Front - http://napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=UBP37197_0067652692

Last edited:
the one on the left is a front wheel cylinder, and the one on the right is a rear wheel cylinder.

The rears are all the same girth from the top to bottom the fronts are have that larger bore on one side. I am correct in that? That's the way it is on my 1970..

Here are some links from NAPA so you can see the differences. (They had the most pictures)
Rear - NAPA AUTO PARTS
Front - NAPA AUTO PARTS

When I look at what Mr Toyota says for the USA market, I see the following for a 1972 FJ40:

Tandem master: 1" bore size.

Front wheel cylinders: All 1 1/4"

Rear wheel cylinders: All 7/8"

:meh:

Burp the cylinders

For what its worth and not trying to highjack the thread but 1 week ago replaced both rear cylinders on drivers side due to one of the original ones leaking. Used non-oem cyclinders and for the life of me could not get a hard pedal. After reading about the issues with non-oem cylinders, pulled off the drums and sure enought the cylinders had air trapped inside. Followed the suggestions here and was able to get the air out. Not hard, just messy. No more issue with having to pump up the brakes.
I would definately recommend oem if feasible but non-oem will work also, just another step to do. I think part of the issue is that our cylinders mount verticle which creates a pocket for the air to sit in. If the same ones were horizontal probally would not be an issue.

John

Update...return of the brakes!

Hi Guys,

I have brakes again after a long and winding road...:D

Once again thank you to everyone who helped me out on this and especially Stephen who took the time to send me some PM's as well!

Just to verify the after market brake cylinder sizing questions....compared to the stock Toyota units they are all the correct bore and piston sizes...but it seem a few of these manufactures choose to do one overall casting size to save money an then bore the cylinder sizes accordingly:meh:

Here is what it took:wrench:

1. Replaced leaky master cylinder (never could self bleed without air in rear reservoir)
2. Bench bled MC
3. Re-bled entire system again after MC was installed
4. Burped each rear cylynder one at a time...thought I was done.

At this point things were way better but not good enough...so I did some more research....

5. Adjusted the push rod on my replacement mini truck brake booster...this was critical...mine was backed off way to much...once I did this I picked up some major braking power. I may revisit my brake pedal adjustment as well....

6. I still felt the actual cylinder adjustment needed to be better.... Per everyones suggestion.... I adjusted the cylinders with the wheels on to more than just a slight drag...almost to the point of not being able to spin the wheel by hand....

7. Getting better yet!!! Still felt like there was a little air in the system....

8. Re bled one last time....bingo...now I can lock em up...

Are they perfect? No...but at this point I now have 4 times the stopping power I use to have after I pumped the brake pedal 3 times....

The two pieces of advice I would give in hind site....
1. If you have an old master cylynder...replace or rebuild it before you start your brake rebuild work.
2. If you have Toyota wheel cylynders....just rebuild them or have them rebuilt...the after market ones are just a PITA:doh:

Cheers!
Benjamin

Hi Guys,

I have brakes again after a long and winding road...:D

Once again thank you to everyone who helped me out on this and especially Stephen who took the time to send me some PM's as well!

Just to verify the after market brake cylinder sizing questions....compared to the stock Toyota units they are all the correct bore and piston sizes...but it seem a few of these manufactures choose to do one overall casting size to save money an then bore the cylinder sizes accordingly:meh:

Here is what it took:wrench:

1. Replaced leaky master cylinder (never could self bleed without air in rear reservoir)
2. Bench bled MC
3. Re-bled entire system again after MC was installed
4. Burped each rear cylynder one at a time...thought I was done.

At this point things were way better but not good enough...so I did some more research....

5. Adjusted the push rod on my replacement mini truck brake booster...this was critical...mine was backed off way to much...once I did this I picked up some major braking power. I may revisit my brake pedal adjustment as well....

6. I still felt the actual cylinder adjustment needed to be better.... Per everyones suggestion.... I adjusted the cylinders with the wheels on to more than just a slight drag...almost to the point of not being able to spin the wheel by hand....

7. Getting better yet!!! Still felt like there was a little air in the system....

8. Re bled one last time....bingo...now I can lock em up...

Are they perfect? No...but at this point I now have 4 times the stopping power I use to have after I pumped the brake pedal 3 times....

The two pieces of advice I would give in hind site....
1. If you have an old master cylynder...replace or rebuild it before you start your brake rebuild work.
2. If you have Toyota wheel cylynders....just rebuild them or have them rebuilt...the after market ones are just a PITA:doh:

Cheers!
Benjamin

Thanks for the update :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom