New CV boots, now binding (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Also posted in the CV boot thread.

So i followed the directions and on the re-install when the wheels are at full turn, the axle is binding.

Any idea what would cause the binding? I will tear back into the inner end and check everything, but for the life of me i can't figure out what would be causing it to bind.

Thanks.

Is the axle seated all the way, and are you sure it went in with the clip to retain the inner end? Make sure there is no looseness on the inner side. Also, define binding better? Does is feel sticky while turning, driving straight, driving over something?

The axle was inserted all the way, i could not just pull it out and the visually on the inside the dust ring spacing to axle is what i would expect.

LC at full stop, turn wheels full right or full left, let of brake and the truck won't move. Won't move until you come out of full turn, roughly 20%, then rolls / drives fine.

At this time, i also did the upper and lower ball joints, as well as the upper control arm bushings. I have had the truck aligned so all that should be in spec.

When i removed the axle last night, it rotates and bends with no binding, so i have to think that is ok. When cleaning, all parts looked very clean, no excess wear marks. All was re-assembled in the exact orientation (using matchmarks).

Retaining spring clip inside the tulip replaced or correctly seated? (keeps the bearing cage from articulating/sliding too far)

I don't think so, but i will open the boot and verify that the retainer ring is correctly positioned.

If you can see the dust shield at end of axle is inside diff., then it was in far enough and seated. This also assumes you've a new snap ring at end in diff, which keeps the front drive shaft form easily pulling out. You've also confirmed the movement of front drive shaft CV's are smooth on the bench. So Next thing I'd look at is the CDL switched, isn't stuck on. This has happen to me without any light on the dash indicating it was locked. The relay gets old and stuck from lack of use often, or sometimes just goes bad with age.

021.JPG
016.JPG

Last edited:
By “beach” you mean bench right? Lol too much snow in Denver got you thinking of warmer climates?

Good call on checking the CDL-

By “beach” you mean bench right? Lol too much snow in Denver got you thinking of warmer climates?

Good call on checking the CDL-
Yeah, but it's not the snow, which I think you've seen more of. It's the cold, and a beach sure sounds good.

Last edited:
So, it's most of the way back together (tire still off), put the truck up on jack stands and now no binding with full right and full left turns. I did toggle the CDL button, maybe that was my issue. Now to install the tire and road test under suspension load.

Figure it out. It's one of those things that i don't know if i can blame on the beers or the fact it was the middle of the night and i was in a hurry. I installed the steering linkage ends backwards. Guess i did not think about there being a left and a right.

Well fairly easy fix....

Thanks all.

Yes, each of them has a strategic bend that provides clearance for the inner edge of the wheel when at full turn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom