New Cruiser... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just bought a 67 fj40.... theres a mass load of things wrong with it.... so much to where I dont know where to start. It runs though*... LoL.. Heres a list of the things that are wrong... gimme an opinion of where I should start first..

1. Gauge cluster is broken. Temp guage, oil pressure, gas...
2. Suspension system is shot.
3. Weather stripping needed everywhere.. water leaks through in several places.
4. Frame is in good condition, but in Houston weather.. its starting to show signs of rust.
5. Windshield wipers are broken.
6. Needs power steering converstion.
7. Right turn signal doesnt light up when toggled.
8. Transmission is really noisey.

These are just the main problems.... im not exactly a wrench head or anything... so I wont be doing any of the work myself. What I want to know is what is most beneficial to do first. Is a noisey transmission bad? How do you tell if it is noisey? If I had to relate my 40 to something id say it sounds just like the inside of a school bus... and how do you tell what year your 40 is? I was told its a 67... but then the rear doors aren't from a 67... and to this day I haven't found another cruiser that has vacuumed engaged 4 wheel drive... ADVISE!!! PLEEEEASE!!

It really depends on how much money you are willing to put in to it, now or later.

For example;
You could fix the tranny now or put a different (2F or 350) with a 4 or 5 speed tranny.

You could change out the springs and possibly shocks or do it right and replace the shacles and install a lift kit or even do an SOA.

You could replace the cluster gauge. To me that would be the first priority. You don't want to run the engine unless you can monitor temp, oil pressure and gas. That could cause more damage. You can usually find them on ebay. Make sure it works for your year FJ40. I would make the power steering conversion last because that is a luxery. You need to get your cruiser running.

If you keep it in a garage, I would hold off on the weather stripping. Don't know about the body condition, you may want to do work and then sand and paint it. That should be done before the weather stripping.

The best thing you can do right now after you figure out your priorities and money plan is to just take one thing at a time. Cruisers are definitly a lesson in time and money.

Hope that helps!

You can check the year by the ID number for the vehicle, usually found on the drivers side, or if that is not available, you can fine it by the serial number on the frame. Go to the tech stuff and it describes how to do that.

I think you first need to decide what you are going to do w/ the rig. It doesn't sound like the best platform for a complete resto. I would fix all of the basics to make it road worthy first; turn signal, wipers, stop lights, etc.(traffic tickets suck). Then wheel it. You'll find out what you like and don't like the most (what bugs the sh*t out of you) and go from there.
I'd probably start by changing out all of you fluids, trans, t'case, front and rear end, motor oil.

Do what FJCruiser says, Change your damn transfer case fluid and I can guarantee your noise will cut dramatically. Change all others while you're at it. Then fix your suspension problems so it at least drives ok. All other items on your list are cosmetic aside from a temp gauge; so you're off to a pretty good start. Good Luck.

IV

If you want to save money I'd either use the cheapo Home Depot weatherstriping, or yank some real good stuff of minivan sliding doors at a junko. My truck needed all new weatherstriping when I got it, if you replace all of it with OEM or SOR/CCOT stuff you're lookin at some major dough.
Replace all your fuses and bulbs. Even if they work right now.
Get some RainX. I lived without windshield wipers for several months.
I would put power steering low on your list. Keep your tires aired up, and tighten/ rebuild the OEM steering and you'll be amazed.
I've had people drive my truck for the first time and ask me what kind of P/S I had, its stock and I'm running 33" tires.
I was missing half my suspension bushings on original springs for the first 8 months I had the truck.
Just drive it, take your time, and one by one fix problems in order of most important pertaining to driveability and safety.

i agree with with cruisinga. i am doing the same thing but trying trying to restore as much as i can. as for the weather striping, go to home depot and but the one sided door strips and buy you some caulk

My advice, being a non-gearhead and 18 month cruiser owner is to fix what is broke first. Wait on "upgrades" until you are willing to spend money for things that may not pay off. The cruiser's character is what you bought it for - be careful what you change ;)

As mentioned above, I'd say fix the instrumentation and do the basic maintenance stuff first, then drive until you cant stand something and tackle that.

'81 24v BJ40
OME suspension upgrade
new rear quarters
new roll bar

Whenever I by another "fixerupper" the first thing I do is safety stuff. Brakes and steering, I've yet to buy one that didn't need a little work on both.

Next, wipers, lights, ebrake, all stuff to keep the law from beatin you down.

Wiring, keep the fires to a minimum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom