New Brake Pads, Considering Hawk SuperDuty, Anyone have Experience/Recommendations? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bumping this thread… Any real world reports on the Hawk LTS brake pads?

Many thanks!
I installed Hawk LTS pads + DBS rotors all around last October. Initially they were great; better feel and stronger than stock. Now (this past week), however, about 7,000 mi later I’ve developed a pretty severe shake when applying brakes >50 mph. Rebedding didn’t change a thing.

Have yet to dig in, but presume there’s been some pad deposit on the rotors. No idea when this would’ve occurred though - no extreme use/particular hot brake scenarios that I can recall. Wondering if a piston failed to retract with some light braking using radar cruise control on the highway, followed by an off-highway stop. Will update with anything further.

Presuming not a quality issue with Hawk or DBA, but never had any feel/balance issues with stock brakes - aside from the factory on/off feel that we all know. So, a little disappointed at the moment.

My experience with Hawk is similar to @TeCKis300. I have used Hawk pads on my street cars, and on the track. I have tried the following on my 3700 lb CTS-V:

Hawk Ceramic: total ass. low dust and noise, but that's it. Felt like the pads were made of wood. I would never recommend these to anyone in pretty much any cicumstance I could think of.
Hawk HPS: Very nice street pad. I'd say these are similar to what most OEMs provide on their sports cars.
Hawk HP+: This is what I run on my CTS-V most of the time. They are more of an "auto-cross" pad, in that they don't require a lot of heat to work, but MAN do they perform. I think these are amazing for a mostly street pad. They won't kill your rotors, but are certainly more aggressive than OEMs. They will dust and squeak though.
Hawk Track Pads: DTC, and the older XP series and the color series. Track only, but holy hell do they work.

I have not tried any of their truck pads. I will probably give them a try if/when I swap pads. This is not a performance vehicle, so I will go there if I think I need more brake pad performance with my larger tires, and after I move to the mountains.

Make sure you bed your pads, its pretty straight forward: do about three 30 to zero stops in rapid succession, then about three 60 to zero. You should smell pad material.

Overall, I have been very happy with the performance of Hawk pads.

Just ordered up some Hawk Super Duties. I'll let you know how they perform. As the post above shows, I'm a Hawk fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom