New Badland Apex 12,000 lb. Winch (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here’s a recent review I saw on the winch:

The Ironman bumper luckily is a large bumper where clearance wasn’t an issue and the only thing needed was to remove the control box and mount it on top of the bumper which required me drilling two holes. View attachment 2466345
Looks nice!

Are you able to tell me what the dimensions are of the winch unit itself once you take the control box off? Thinking about possibly getting a TrailTailor hidden winch mount and wasn't sure if this would fit with the control box installed elsewhere.

Looks nice!

Are you able to tell me what the dimensions are of the winch unit itself once you take the control box off? Thinking about possibly getting a TrailTailor hidden winch mount and wasn't sure if this would fit with the control box installed elsewhere.
thanks!

hope this helps:
41117D64-ABDF-4CFE-9490-1B1B3007180E.jpeg

I got the harbor freight apex 12000 today... for $549... I had the 15% coupon.
After I got it... 2 questions came to mind.
1. With 12k# and a 6000 lb truck... could I end up in situation where I was trying to pull a truck or tractor or maybe a downed tree and end up pulling my truck instead? Would this be a reason to get a 9k# instead?
2. I got to wondering if I used a block and tackle... hook one block to what I'm trying to pull and the other to a stationary tree... and use the winch just to provide the pulling force... but I took statics and dynamics once upon a time and I seems to recall that even with the pulleys your still putting the same amount of force on both ends.
So is there away to redirect the forces?

20201030_162427.jpg

I got the harbor freight apex 12000 today... for $549... I had the 15% coupon.
After I got it... 2 questions came to mind.
1. With 12k# and a 6000 lb truck... could I end up in situation where I was trying to pull a truck or tractor or maybe a downed tree and end up pulling my truck instead? Would this be a reason to get a 9k# instead?
2. I got to wondering if I used a block and tackle... hook one block to what I'm trying to pull and the other to a stationary tree... and use the winch just to provide the pulling force... but I took statics and dynamics once upon a time and I seems to recall that even with the pulleys your still putting the same amount of force on both ends.
So is there away to redirect the forces?

View attachment 2481746

Yes, you will pull/drag your cruiser when winching something a lot heavier than you especially if you use a block and double your pull power....strap off to something behind you like a tree or another rig.....dont get a 9K

I just use a block on a stationary object like a tree with trunk protector....but u can on the object your pulling out as long as you are tied off.

Agree with @woodsman 44 . Just like you can never have too much money, you can never have too much winch.

Yes, you will pull/drag your cruiser when winching something a lot heavier than you especially if you use a block and double your pull power....strap off to something behind you like a tree or another rig.....dont get a 9K

I just use a block on a stationary object like a tree with trunk protector....but u can on the object your pulling out as long as you are tied off.

I pulled this Kubota out of a pond that he backed into by mistake with my WARN 8274 with block for double pull power....I could barely get him out, dragging my F350 7.3 4x4 till it popped him out...found the limit of my winch...;)

16nAdqQh.jpg

Understood and thanks for the reply. I got the front hitch reciever set up... so I can winch from both ends.
Now I'm back to my welder, for the hitch reciever winch mount

Got to use mind again, I’m still happy with it
Glad I saw your post @landwagon. I just finished building my coastal offroad bumper today. Yours also looks like one. I opened the box to my badlands 12k today thinking there is no way it’s going to fit. Seeing yours give me confidence. Any issues fitting it in? What did you do the lines in front of the radiator?

Glad I saw your post @landwagon. I just finished building my coastal offroad bumper today. Yours also looks like one. I opened the box to my badlands 12k today thinking there is no way it’s going to fit. Seeing yours give me confidence. Any issues fitting it in? What did you do the lines in front of the radiator?
I had to bend one of the a/c lines just a little there are pics in my build tread.

Just a heads up for those looking to buy, HF is currently running a 25% off sale for this weekend. This brings the cost down to $450 plus tax.

Coupon code: 23865527

20201204_100302.jpg

So I caved into temptation and picked one up today. With the 25% off and my credit card app 10% off I was out the door for $404.99 plus tax.
HF Apex receipt.jpg

My wife's jeep has an 8274 on it so we will be able to make some direct comparisons. I will say that I love the speed of the 8274 and how effortlessly it pulls. I have pulled 8-10 vehicles up obstacles one after another when the group got into trails that were a little over our average skill level. No issues. I'd love to have the coin to throw at another, but they have really gotten $$$. I don't foresee using very much on the Landcruiser, but I would like to have it in an emergency.

Now onto my question for this thread:

My truck has an older ARB bumper that was setup for the 8274.
Can these Apex winches be mounted foot forward?

There is nothing in the manual about it. Not finding much googling it.

So I caved into temptation and picked one up today. With the 25% off and my credit card app 10% off I was out the door for $404.99 plus tax.
View attachment 2517148
My wife's jeep has an 8274 on it so we will be able to make some direct comparisons. I will say that I love the speed of the 8274 and how effortlessly it pulls. I have pulled 8-10 vehicles up obstacles one after another when the group got into trails that were a little over our average skill level. No issues. I'd love to have the coin to throw at another, but they have really gotten $$$. I don't foresee using very much on the Landcruiser, but I would like to have it in an emergency.

Now onto my question for this thread:

My truck has an older ARB bumper that was setup for the 8274.
Can these Apex winches be mounted foot forward?

There is nothing in the manual about it. Not finding much googling it.

I have an older ARB as well setup for the 8274. I wasn't sure if the winch would physically fit or mount feet forward.
I just measured at lunch and I think it will be too tight on my ARB. If the above measurements are correct, I would have less than 1/4 to 1/8" in some spots. I may double check my measurements and go to a store and measure one to see.

I have an older ARB as well setup for the 8274. I wasn't sure if the winch would physically fit or mount feet forward.
I just measured at lunch and I think it will be too tight on my ARB. If the above measurements are correct, I would have less than 1/4 to 1/8" in some spots. I may double check my measurements and go to a store and measure one to see.

The measurements are the same (according to my manual). Need to check for myself now.

I more wondering about issues with lubrication and venting condensation??

I'm going to try it and see how it works out. Going to pull ARB bumper off and take it for a fresh powder coat before I install the winch.

Using a single block doesn't double your pulling power. This is a common perpetuated misconception. You redirect force with a single block.

Using a single block doesn't double your pulling power. This is a common perpetuated misconception. You redirect force with a single block.

Does using a single block make the winch twice as slow? If it does than you are doubling your pulling power, if it doesnt slow the speed than it does not double the power. Very straightforward really.

If you put a pulley on a stuck rig and run your winch rope through that pulley and back to your rig it will half the winch speed and double your pulling power.

On the other hand if you put the pulley on the stuck rig but run your winch line to the pulley and then 90 degrees to a tree you would not loose winch speed and only accomplish a re-direction of force.

Does using a single block make the winch twice as slow? If it does than you are doubling your pulling power, if it doesnt slow the speed than it does not double the power. Very straightforward really.

If you put a pulley on a stuck rig and run your winch rope through that pulley and back to your rig it will half the winch speed and double your pulling power.

On the other hand if you put the pulley on the stuck rig but run your winch line to the pulley and then 90 degrees to a tree you would not loose winch speed and only accomplish a re-direction of force.
I catch what you're saying.

Exactly ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom