New Badland Apex 12,000 lb. Winch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got me a nice waterproof cover for the winch. It's important to take care of the synthetic rope: Amazon.com: Winch Cover Waterproof, Heavy Duty Winch Dust Cover, Dust-Proof, UV-Resistant, Soft Winch Protection Cover for Electric Winches 8500-17500 lbs, Black: Home Improvement

SuWtLQX.jpg

mL2LJij.jpg

You guys keep us posted on how you like the Apex. One may we'll be in my future when the times comes for a winch.

I just get emails from HF.
There is a thread here on this forum with HF deals and coupons. Keep an eye on that thread too.

My install took forever.....which is purely on me (I take a long time brushing my teeth for context). The SSO incognito winch mount + the Badlands Apex were all done at once.....most of it went quick until the remote control box mount.....which I spent entirely too much time overthinking but am happy with the end result.

New to me - a "tube bender" which I'm sure most of you guys already know about (e.g. bending brake lines) - the hard AC lines were totally in the way when I went to put the winch on the SSO frame - a buddy (car guru) told me about these and next thing I know I'm using one for free in the parking lot of an AutoZone (part of their Tool Rental program - awesome!!!). Took all of five minutes......voila!

In the end, I cut the bottom ~1.25" off of the aluminum control box frame and mounted it (via layered-up 3M VHB tape and a couple of self-tapping sheet metal screws (with custom-ish tabs)) inside the engine compartment adjacent to the PS pump.

IF YOU GO THIS ROUTE, mount your cut-down control box as far forward (towards the headlight) as possible. The included extended lines for a remote control box option BARELY reached where I put this and connecting these from the motor to the remote control box was a headache.

PIcs.....

1587355503809.png

1587355519660.png

1587355556715.png

1587355686231.png

Last edited:
My install took forever.....which is purely on me (I take a long time brushing my teeth for context). The SSO incognito winch mount + the Badlands Apex were all done at once.....most of it went quick until the remote control box mount.....which I spent entirely too much time overthinking but am happy with the end result.

New to me - a "tube bender" which I'm sure most of you guys already know about (e.g. bending brake lines) - the hard AC lines were totally in the way when I went to put the winch on the SSO frame - a buddy (car guru) told me about these and next thing I know I'm using one for free in the parking lot of an AutoZone (part of their Tool Rental program - awesome!!!). Took all of five minutes......voila!

In the end, I cut the bottom ~1.25" off of the aluminum control box frame and mounted it (via layered-up 3M VHB tape and a couple of self-tapping sheet metal screws (with custom-ish tabs)) inside the engine compartment adjacent to the PS pump.

IF YOU GO THIS ROUTE, mount your cut-down control box as far forward (towards the headlight) as possible. The included extended lines for a remote control box option BARELY reached where I put this and connecting these from the motor to the remote control box was a headache.

PIcs.....

View attachment 2279276

View attachment 2279277

View attachment 2279278

View attachment 2279279

This was installed in your GX? Also, did you or can you clock the end if you need to install this “feet forward” like is necessary on an 80 series?

This was installed in your GX? Also, did you or can you clock the end if you need to install this “feet forward” like is necessary on an 80 series?

GX - yes.

I haven't checked whether these can be clocked or not but the end appears serviceable (there are allen bolts to pull off the end housing).

The 20% coupon that @Dragos80 posted above works with the new price. $480 +tax and shipping...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom