New Alternator for my 1989 FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jesus888

SILVER Star
Threads
I believe I’m gonna need to replace the alternator in my 1989 FJ62.

I’ve had some issues with my battery and charging of the battery and there’s a few things that at least point in the direction of ruling out the alternator as the issue…

One of them being, after starting my 62 this morning and seeing the voltmeter (whatever that gauge is called) sitting just above the bottom marking, after about 2 minutes, I hear a “whirring” sound (what I suspect is the alternator 🤷🏾‍♂️) and then the meter working it’s way up to normal.

My understanding is it’s supposed be charging at all times, and sometimes the internal regulator go bad.

That being said, should I spend silly money on a Mean Green high output alternator? I don’t want to change brackets etc, and wouldn’t mind higher output…

TIA

I believe I’m gonna need to replace the alternator in my 1989 FJ62.

I’ve had some issues with my battery and charging of the battery and there’s a few things that at least point in the direction of ruling out the alternator as the issue…

One of them being, after starting my 62 this morning and seeing the voltmeter (whatever that gauge is called) sitting just above the bottom marking, after about 2 minutes, I hear a “whirring” sound (what I suspect is the alternator 🤷🏾‍♂️) and then the meter working it’s way up to normal.

My understanding is it’s supposed be charging at all times, and sometimes the internal regulator go bad.

That being said, should I spend silly money on a Mean Green high output alternator? I don’t want to change brackets etc, and wouldn’t mind higher output…

TIA
Have you measured the voltage at the battery when the truck is running? Just to back up the gauge reading?
New OEM from the dealer is about $250 27060-61090

Is your battery light on when you turn the truck on but haven’t started yet. And does your battery light shut off when the truck starts?

Rockauto alternator about $50.

Proper Toyota rebuild via @ToyotaMatt is the way to go.

Skip the mean Green.

Have you measured the voltage at the battery when the truck is running? Just to back up the gauge reading?
New OEM from the dealer is about $250 27060-61090
Voltage is > 12.9 at the battery when the truck is running but there’s some things that just aren’t consistent about this one I have… I think it’s right… need to get in touch with @ToyotaMatt

@ToyotaMatt Order is IN… 🙏🏾 this is better than current situation! And maybe just maybe the alternator dying is causing/contributing to my parasitic drain on my battery 🤷🏾‍♂️

352792DD-38CA-4B21-852B-9BB3DD253BA7.png

@ToyotaMatt Order is IN… 🙏🏾 this is better than current situation! And maybe just maybe the alternator dying is causing/contributing to my parasitic drain on my battery 🤷🏾‍♂️

View attachment 3304702

thank you very much for your support :)

- in addition to the icing on the cake you saw in the included parts photos ...

- i have been UPDATING ALL my Genuine NipponDenso Starters and Alternators now will simply include the large 10ga ring terminal wire and or Starter solenoid connector plug & its related Weather Boot too

- ICING ...

4FCE291A-2EEC-4AE1-B57E-363A636AACF3_2048x.jpg

CHERRY's on top 🍒

DSCN9927.JPG

Last edited:
thank you very much for your support :)

- in addition to the icing on the cake you saw in the included parts photos ...

- i have been UPDATING ALL my Genuine NipponDenso Starters and Alternators now will simply include the large 10ga ring terminal wire and or Starter solenoid connector plug & its related Weather Boot too

- ICING ...

CHERRY's on top 🍒

View attachment 3305030
I’ve got soooo many projects to do, I’ll be reaching out a bunch I’m sure! Icing is excellent!

I’ve got soooo many projects to do, I’ll be reaching out a bunch I’m sure! Icing is excellent!

this is really the JIS star of the show , OEM YAZAKI COLD Spec. input connector plug , it has a armor shroud over the outer portion of the 3-pin 3F / 3FE Alternator , it's truly heavy duty tough as nails and absolutely meets our strict SNOW VERSION brand criteria ...

water and snow proof , and also heat and desert rated fit form function ....

side Topic :

i am working on 2 variants of a official 3FE valve cover engine bay DECAL ...

- the top one is the main stay ,...

- the bottom one will be the FIRE BRIGADE variant just like all the other land cruiser engines have ...

- im looking for input as the final end product i wish to be a group effort from all walks of land cruiser 3FE life ...

fyi - these are in NO way complete ...

thanks

1681173871666-jpeg.3295651

1681174034148-jpeg.3295654

side Topic :

i am working on 2 variants of a official 3FE valve cover engine bay DECAL ...

- the top one is the main stay ,...

- the bottom one will be the FIRE BRIGADE variant just like all the other land cruiser engines have ...

- im looking for input as the final end product i wish to be a group effort from all walks of land cruiser 3FE life ...

fyi - these are in NO way complete ...

thanks

1681173871666-jpeg.3295651

1681174034148-jpeg.3295654
Also side topic… I’m secretly hoping that the issue I’m having with the battery drain has to do with a bad regulator in my current alternator… that would magically get fixed by this new alternator! Wishful thinking I know. The 62 is sitting patiently until the alternator makes the trip!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom