New alternator, 60 won’t stay on at idle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

VR IC int 2F engine EN_ES.jpg

You don't want to modify your bracket. I swear, you can find a used stock alternator for $50 bucks. REALLY. Don't screw up the mounting bracket. Look for the right alternator.

Post up a wanted ad in the classified section here. This link shows an example of how my search went. I bought for $50 and was close to another $50 for shipping. Worked fine. If you want BLING go with ToyotaMatt. Carefully look at the ears and make sure it's clocked right and that the seller is offering a 60 alt.

Post up a wanted ad in the classified section here. This link shows an example of how my search went. I bought for $50 and was close to another $50 for shipping. Worked fine. If you want BLING go with ToyotaMatt. Carefully look at the ears and make sure it's clocked right and that the seller is offering a 60 alt.

I’ll give it a try. Thanks!

I told my alternator guy that I was bringing his back for a refund too which he gladly agreed to do.

PM me

i have some options for you on this ,

ill let you know what they are straight up

i stand behind ANY Genuine NipponDenso unit that goes out my door , because all go thru the same FIELD BENCH TEST in my tech video above , they don't get a A+ they don't get sent out

its xmass

ill help you as much as i can

matt

1.1 Copy (8) - Copy - Copy.jpg.png

So I went to my local Toyota parts store to order the new one that @Spike Strip said would work. I talked them down on price and can return my core for $75. Although more expensive still than I wanted I was ready to be done with this (simple?!) project!

The order was placed yesterday with a promise of delivery by 8am this morning. I headed out first thing in freezing (18 degrees) Atlanta weather to pick it up.

And oops… they didn’t place the order right so it didn’t arrive today. They promised to reorder it but since Christmas is coming up they won’t get it in until next Tuesday.

I’ll have to wait a bit more to get it on and be done with this 🍌 project.

I’ll let you know the final result.

I cranked up the car and it sounded like a freight train! The fan on the alternator just barely hit the adjusting bracket so I switched that out for my original too.

Back on it went but dang it if I didn’t break that adjusting bolt on the bracket. Since it’s the 62 alternator and pretty tight I was able to get a new one from Home Depot. Works great!

B88EF559-17DB-4C0E-B4AE-AEB496681D08.jpeg

912C81B1-38A1-4412-947F-3ED97CF99657.jpeg

Oh and do you remember that smoke I saw? I thought I was burning the wires. It looks like I had a small coolant leak that was dripping on the block and burning off. So it looked like smoke but was really coolant steaming off the block. That’s tightened down and fixed now!

Last edited:
So I put a voltage meter on the battery and get a reading of -12.37. I then crank the car and the voltage reading says the same which suggest I’m not getting a charge from the alternator.

So I thought…maybe I did fry some wires so I put the positive for the multimeter on the alternator bolt and the negative for the multimeter on the negative terminal on the battery post and get the same reading of -12.4 V.

I then checked the ground of the alternator by putting the negative on the alternator bracket while keeping the positive on the alternator bolt. Same reading!

I rechecked my wiring and determined that I did it exactly as the old one was wired.

Not sure what’s going on here!

What’s also weird is the negative on the voltage reading. Instead of 12.4 I’m getting -12.4. As you can see from the picture I put the multimeter on the right battery terminals. So could the wiring be screwed up and that’s preventing the charge? I’m really stumped on this one!

Thanks!

E3D0EC51-B800-4BCA-A347-DB551273E958.jpeg

You have the multimeter cables in the wrong holes. the black one goes in the bottom hole [com] and the red goes where the black is now [V#mA]
#= ohm.
Well… it is always best to put it in the right hole! I got that straightened out. Thanks @pithicus!

So now I get a positive reading but still not an increase from the alternator.

Thoughts on what else I should look at on this thing?

I recommend doing a deep dive over a couple of evenings on how alternators work .. then confirming that the alternator is getting excited correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom