New 90 series Members say hi here first. Chit chat ok (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good afternoon,

My name is Gert van Rooyen in Roswell GA, I am new: to this forum, to Toyota, to 4x4s, and JDM imports, so a noob on many different fronts. I picked up my RHD 1998 KD-KZJ95W last week in MI from a JDM dealer and drove it home to Atlanta area. The Body and interior is in good shape barring a few holes that the PO made to mount a Nav system, mechanicals seem to be in good shape with 156K Km on the odo. Since the time I reserved the vehicle at the dealer I have been researching potential problems and will start preemptively replacing or servicing the components. This forum has a very active series 90 community probably the most active from all the forums that I researched and looks like a growing number of 25yr old Prados are being imported to the US contributing to this. Looking forward to sharing knowledge and experiences with you all as I go through the process of fixing issues and hopefully some upgrades. If there is anyone from the Atlanta area shoot me a PM.

View attachment 3415472View attachment 3415471View attachment 3415470
Hi mate,

I have a 1997 JDM TX 1kz te and those yellow bumper lights look cool.

Hello all,

Several months back I picked up a 98 Toyota Prado ATM with the 1KZ-TE 3.0

It was in decent condition, but I have been doing some work on it getting it back into good shape. Still some things to take care of; largely to do with keeping that old engine cool and adding some monitoring tools now.

I am from western Canada, I have seen maybe 2 of these vehicles around these parts. I would be keen to link up with anyone with a similar vehicle in the area!

Hi all, I am Pedro and I am from Portugal. I have recently acquired a 1996 KZJ95 with 300k km. It is quite good and already with some very interesting overland mods (2" OME lift, intercooler, powerchip, snorkel, double slide drawers, water pump and hose, snorkel...). I want to change tyres (these are done) and would like your advice, but I'll create a post for that purpose. Wish you all the best!

View attachment 2469817
where did you get the power chip? Or do you know the brand?

where did you get the power chip? Or do you know the brand?
I would try playing with a boost T adjuster before diveing into the world of Chip tune. The ECU on these trucks limits boost to 13 PSI of boost before it cuts the fuel.

Hello! If you have access to Amayama, you can put in the Chassis number and find out. Another good resource is ToyoDiy.
If you're looking for new that is.

Used is an entire different story. You have a RZ I take it?
You can also use Megazip.net, very good for finding P/N's. then buy from wherever (or them).

Well I have been a member of h8mud for many many yrs. Back in the USA I own a 3rd Gen 4runner and miss it. Yesterday I was driving my my modified TJ Wrangler and it started to over heat (I got a 2004 TJ Sport highly modified and a 2002 Sahara that i restored back to stock) well I snapped and went out looking for a Toyota again and ended up buying a 1997 LC Prado RZJ95L. Its the 2.7 Carb with a 5 speed manual but its 100% stock

J95_1.jpg

J95_2.jpg

J95_3.jpg

That is a real beauty! Is that the original seat covering? (I can never remember how to spell upulstory.)

That is a real beauty! Is that the original seat covering? (I can never remember how to spell upulstory.)
Honestly I'm not sure both rows and the two side benches have the same upholstery. Its an original RAK Prado. There is a small hole in the mid row seat and was thinking of removing on of the benches in the back and using that fabric to repair it. There are some parts of the paint where it looks like the old guy used finger nail polish to touch it up. I'm thinking of taking it to one of the local shops to get it sanded down and resprayed and get a new decal kit from SHJ.

I’m not new to mud as I have been here for a long time with my old 60 series. I just made an offer on an rjz90. Looking forward to learning from this group as I want to work on the front suspension components and overall baseline everything. It’s a 2.7 petrol.

I’m not new to mud as I have been here for a long time with my old 60 series. I just made an offer on an rjz90. Looking forward to learning from this group as I want to work on the front suspension components and overall baseline everything. It’s a 2.7 petrol.
Here are some pics
IMG_4035.jpeg
IMG_4037.jpeg

Hello all! my name is Hayden I am from St. Louis MO. These are my two SWB 90s both are 1996 1kz automatic.. etc. I imported and titled both myself and plan on doing more in the future. The Purple 90 is very clean and on the FB marketplace if anyone's interested, debating posting on here due to the lack of traction there. We've driven it almost daily and loved it. The White truck currently shows signs of a seized thermostat. In the time waiting for parts to complete a big front-end job, I bought an ICON stage 2.5 Coilover lift and am now considering Long Travel UCA and LCAs... either way glad to be here. The KZJ78 pictured too is a friends, but we currently picked up a very clean LJ78 ill throw up in that registry aswell.

Cheers Everyone!!
FF263BF6-7A54-482C-85D1-7F86D06D26BB_1_105_c.jpeg
0CE50C0D-1DF9-4D94-AE72-02A82B6A740B_1_105_c.jpeg

Hi All,
I am Thuan from Brisbane, Queensland - Australia.
I owned this eight seater Prado 95 series 1KZ-TE 3.0L Manual over the past 7 years, it have served it purposes both On road as well as Off road.
I Joined the Forum to one day share my experience with wider community of my vehicle.

Prado image.jpg

Hello, I just bought a 1998 Prado (JDM) that I’m importing to the States. TX trim gasoline. The car runs, but I’d be interested to know what to ask the mechanic to check once stateside. I’m thinking ball joints and changing fluids. Likewise, if there are any parts I should get now while still in Japan. Finally, I’m interested in getting a roof rack and bullbar for the car, so I’ll be searching for recommendations. Glad to be part of the LC community!

IMG_1097.jpeg

Hi,
My name is Ben and I have a 1997 VZJ95 Prado TZ from Japan (5VZ-FE). Last year I needed a right hand drive for mail delivery in the Smoky Mountains but we have moved to the Texas/Mexico border and I’m working from home again. I’m a former Audi enthusiast and was interested to learn that Toyota liked Torsen differentials so much that they bought the company!
I’m interested in doing some maintenance now that the truck doesn’t have to be on call for work. It has about 150000km on the odometer and several service stickers I can’t read at various intervals. All I’ve done so far is an oil change, new tires to replace the 15 year old Yokohamas that came over with it, and removed the side steps (damaged courtesy of the aforementioned bald Yokohamas on the way home from the importer - ice). With new tires it did great on ice and slush for the rest of the winter. Won’t be an issue down here in south Texas! Installed a hitch receiver and ran a cargo shelf for the move. The truck felt and handled great fully loaded.
I had checked a few other owners groups and forums a while ago, and found this community yesterday searching for gear oil info and ended up finding parts resources and an incredible knowledge base!

Thank you!

Hi I am trying to figure out what I need to do I am going to check this one out

i have no idea what i am looking at but i really would like it :) is this the right place to post.
Just some observations... it is listed as gasoline, but the VIN number (chassis ID) listed is most definitely a diesel, the 1KZ-TE.
"KZJ900012110"

Looks pretty nice in the pics. If you go to see it, look for timing belt change info, and see if you can get a peek down the intake (pull the air cleaner pipe on the engine side, if possible,. These have EGR (unless it was blanked off) and so can suffer a bit from an intake that has been coated with sludgy oil mist...

Otherwise, lower ball joints should be checked/replaced, and then drive and enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom