New 80 Series Tailgate Storage option from Notch @ Back Bay Customs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cool. Thanks. I have a swing-out kit lurking around, but now I'm waffling about doing a full bumper instead. Good old needs vs. wants.

A quick note here; I got 96% of my tailgate panel install done yesterday (started late, ran out of daylight). I found 1 very minor goof; the 2 holes on the separate mount for the gas strut were not drilled the same(one screw fit, one did not). Again, this is a super minor thing, easily handled by anyone but I just wanted to note it.
In my case, my tailgate was pretty "caved-in" when I pulled the carpet panel off and it made for some shift in the layout. This has nothing to do with @Notch and his product, but if like me your tailgate was abused before you start your install, double check your layout lines against the measurements in the instructions from Back Bay's website. It will save you some time.
Snug down the nuts for your layout as well. Finger tight will result in being able to shift the frame a lot more than you might think.

A quick note here; I got 96% of my tailgate panel install done yesterday (started late, ran out of daylight). I found 1 very minor goof; the 2 holes on the separate mount for the gas strut were not drilled the same(one screw fit, one did not). Again, this is a super minor thing, easily handled by anyone but I just wanted to note it.
In my case, my tailgate was pretty "caved-in" when I pulled the carpet panel off and it made for some shift in the layout. This has nothing to do with @Notch and his product, but if like me your tailgate was abused before you start your install, double check your layout lines against the measurements in the instructions from Back Bay's website. It will save you some time.
Snug down the nuts for your layout as well. Finger tight will result in being able to shift the frame a lot more than you might think.
Yes, there were 18 brackets that shipped out with one hole that the bolt would not fit through. Sorry for any inconveniences. Stupid humans! Always making mistakes haha!

I ran into the same situation with one of the bracket holes not being drilled to the proper size. I ran a bit through it easily and it fixed the issue.

The hard part was getting those nuts on the bolts w/ the added thickness of the strut bracket. Luckily my girl friend has tiny hands so she was able to get her hand in there with my assistance. I try to get rid of her, but her small features make her useful around the house.... 😉

@GOTLOCKED96; yes, that was a fun piece of the install. I wish hardware came in 1/8" increments. Mine is all in and secured. I used some Permatex medium blue locktite and the stainless screws just for some extra insuarance. I also had to use a piece of plywood and a flat style prybar to lever up my tailgate sheet metal against the frame to get the 3 center hinge side bolts secure. The only missing thing on my end now is some Kilmat/dynamat/something. Amazon isn't shipping stuff like that very fast these days though.

It's much easier if you tighten the two nuts that hold the aluminum strut bracket fully, to compress the sheetmetal, then remove the nuts and install the bracket.

@Notch, would you happen to have any pictures of the Toyota Oak color that is listed as sold out on your website? Will there be another run?

@Notch, would you happen to have any pictures of the Toyota Oak color that is listed as sold out on your website? Will there be another run?
There's pictures of the Oak color on the store page but I don't intend on doing the smooth finish in that color anymore since we can get better durability out of other coatings.

We're currently doing batches of tan and black Monstaliner and I'm working on getting the pigments to tint Monstaliner to the Oak color. For reference, the tan Monstaliner matches the plastic interior trim on the D pillar (where the 3rd row seatbelt point is) and the Oak is darker like the lower plastic trim on the quarter panel and somewhat like the carpet in the oak interior 80s.

There's pictures of the Oak color on the store page but I don't intend on doing the smooth finish in that color anymore since we can get better durability out of other coatings.

We're currently doing batches of tan and black Monstaliner and I'm working on getting the pigments to tint Monstaliner to the Oak color. For reference, the tan Monstaliner matches the plastic interior trim on the D pillar (where the 3rd row seatbelt point is) and the Oak is darker like the lower plastic trim on the quarter panel and somewhat like the carpet in the oak interior 80s.

I'm interested in ordering one. Please let me know!

I just received one of these sweet @Notch designed storage units! I am afraid I am a bit oversized for this tailgate as I stand on it regularly to load my gear on the rack. I believe I have bent the top portion quite a bit over the years.

I read that some people had also bent up their tailgate. Did anyone have damage like this? Trying to determine if I will be able to tweak this/square it up easily once I cut the middle section out.

I also noticed that my latch pivot sticks up ever so slightly...I could tell it would hit the silver cover when I had the carpet on as well. It would interfere and be sticky to open. I am guessing this is due to my tailgate being out of square...

2021-04-02 19.31.48.jpg

1617418333194.png

I just received one of these sweet @Notch designed storage units! I am afraid I am a bit oversized for this tailgate as I stand on it regularly to load my gear on the rack. I believe I have bent the top portion quite a bit over the years.

I read that some people had also bent up their tailgate. Did anyone have damage like this? Trying to determine if I will be able to tweak this/square it up easily once I cut the middle section out.

I also noticed that my latch pivot sticks up ever so slightly...I could tell it would hit the silver cover when I had the carpet on as well. It would interfere and be sticky to open. I am guessing this is due to my tailgate being out of square...

View attachment 2633880

View attachment 2633891
I don't think you well be able to get the tail gate flat again. I would use a block of wood to tap the lip straight.
I think the storage lid well couture to the slight bow of your tail gate.
I don't think that's part of your latch, it look like a washer got jammed into the tail gate. A better picture would help.

I used a rotating squad of hammers, pry bars, wood blocks, etc and managed to get enough leverage to "pop" a couple of dents I had in mine. I can't tell from your pictures exactly what you have going on, but I think @Broski is on the right track.

Well everything seem to fall into place here. There was a lot of flexibility with the tailgate once I cut out the mid section. I got everything pretty much squared up.

2021-04-03 13.44.05.jpg

2021-04-03 13.43.48.jpg

Looks good what was that sticking up in the second pik ?

Also I would say you got it flat, squared up refers to a 90 degree corner ;)

Flat. Yes, flat. The 2nd pic was the top of my latch. It was slightly above the flat horizon of my tailgate and would slightly interfere with the screwed on cover. But I realized that was because it was dented. Once I got it all cut out and reworked it is fine with the new setup.

For anybody that ends up in the same boat as @NorCalFJ100, placing a long piece of angle iron over the tailgate, will allow you to use some C clamps to straighten it out (once the center has been cut out). Use the angle iron as your straight edge, and clamp to it.

Oh, the latch. Yeah. Install looks good man.

@NorCalFJ100, Looks really good! After I installed mine, I put some DynaMat inside my tail gate to protect the exterior sheet metal and prevent annoying rattles.​

Thanks!!! Yeah I have some dynamat type stuff sitting in my garage. I'm going to add that this weekend. Do you feel like your tailgate is pretty heavy when it's loaded up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom