New 80 Series Tailgate Storage option from Notch @ Back Bay Customs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very nice installation. Is that blood on the concrete (X-acto knife)?

Oh dang I forgot about that! My phone hasn’t been the same since going through the washer and now any pictures I take have these streaky red dots. I replaced a mic, charging jack and battery but I teally need to replace the screen, rear camera and other mics.

This is a beautiful product, love to see things made at such a high quality. Added this to my list of wants

I signed up for the back bay custom product notification email list and I think it took a while or so before the lid became available again. It’s completely worth the wait vs other lid systems that don’t have the soft close hinge. You can start saving now, $25 or so a month, and by the time you get the email that they are selling again you will have a some money set aside to buy!

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this! Helped immensely for my own install. For anyone else it is worth noting that having a sharp X-acto knife is essential such as fiskars fingertip grip knife. I used my sewing pin needles to puncture through the carpet and cut all the way around the lid, hinge, and latches. The hinge was the most time consuming part. I used the pin needles by pushing them up through the gaps in the hinge to,see where to cut. Also for me the latches bolt on the tip catch part had to be lengthened to accommodate for the increased pile of the carpet... I probably didn’t cut the carpet around the latches back far enough. I love the way it turned out and no joking you only get one shot at putting it onto the lid.

I also took the time to sew new vinyl all the way around the carpet before install. Lastly I recommend adding Fray check aka fray block along all the cut edges to prevent fraying of the carpet.

View attachment 2104429

That looks damn near OEM or perhaps how Toyota should have made them in the first place lol!

Are there any installer’s available to hire for this fabulous product?

I bet if you’re local to their area they would do install. We just used a drill and jig saw with the correct blade and bit. The hardest part was notching out the wing things inside, with the Tin snips, so that the aluminum tray would slip over the cut edges. The second hardest part was figuring out that I had an outdated instruction sheet and that the placement of the hinge strut mount had changed and was missing from our instructions. Also the older instructions show a separate cork rubber rim thing except it now comes pre installed so don’t worry if you can’t find it in the box. I emailed several times with great feedback and response during our install process but It’s a straight forward easy install otherwise. Just those few minor confusing moments for us!

Last edited:
I bet if your local to their area they’ve would do install. We just used a drill and jig saw with the correct blade and bit. The hardest part was notching out the wing things inside, with the Tin snips, so that the aluminum tray would slip over the cut edges. The second hardest part was figuring out that I had an outdated instruction sheet and that the placement of the hinge strut mount had changed and was missing from our instructions. Also the older instructions show a separate cork rubber rim thing except it now comes pre installed so don’t worry if you can’t find it in the box. I emailed several times with great feedback and response during our install process but It’s a straight forward easy install otherwise. Just those few minor confusing moments for us!
Thanks for your experience
Looking forward to finding a good installer

You can email him from his website and ask to be put on the list. I did that today and he emailed back already.

There was such a back log of orders on our last batch we didn't get to advertise them before they sold out. For those of you still waiting to buy one, we're currently getting another batch of 80 series panels through the fab shop and they will be available in the next month or so.

The Back Bay Customs website now has an e-mail sign up on the store page to let you know when they are for sale. Make sure you check your junk folder for the acknowledgment email from us and un-mark as spam if necessary. I also periodically post update pictures and videos on our facebook and instagram pages.

Please don't hesitate to call or email Sean or I at the shop with any questions about this product or any other projects.

Thanks! Adam

There was such a back log of orders on our last batch we didn't get to advertise them before they sold out. For those of you still waiting to buy one, we're currently getting another batch of 80 series panels through the fab shop and they will be available in the next month or so.

The Back Bay Customs website now has an e-mail sign up on the store page to let you know when they are for sale. Make sure you check your junk folder for the acknowledgment email from us and un-mark as spam if necessary. I also periodically post update pictures and videos on our facebook and instagram pages.

Please don't hesitate to call or email Sean or I at the shop with any questions about this product or any other projects.

Thanks! Adam

Love these! Do you make them for the 100 series?

Love these! Do you make them for the 100 series?
Thanks! We are working toward 100 series and other fitments. I need a couple more fabricators in the shop to keep up with the current work load and support a few new products.

One of these was on my list before I found a cruiser. Just saw they are back in stock so I snagged one up.

I need to line the inside of my tail gate when I install it. Any suggestions on either using a liquid roll on liner or that all weather foam that I've seen other kits come with?

Trying to use it for long gun storage if I can rig up the rack/holder I have. If not it will be my junk drawer lol.

I had this crazy piece of aluminum show up the other day.
More “baselining.”
Product looks awesome! Well packed, and shipped pretty quick too.
Thank you @Notch and crew.

F497E7A4-5E69-414F-8C5F-6BD2CDF4DB90.jpeg

Can you remind me.... is this available for the 100 series?

One of these was on my list before I found a cruiser. Just saw they are back in stock so I snagged one up.

I need to line the inside of my tail gate when I install it. Any suggestions on either using a liquid roll on liner or that all weather foam that I've seen other kits come with?

Trying to use it for long gun storage if I can rig up the rack/holder I have. If not it will be my junk drawer lol.

I haven't lined my tailgate yet, but I have Monstaliner for it. I've had my hatch installed for awhile now without the lining, and it has been relatively fine. I do have a very large snatch strap sitting against the tailgate hinge though to muffle sound. I do suggest taking some extra time to smooth over the sharp edges of the braces once they are cut as they can be brutal on the back of the hand.

IMG_20190905_192318 (1).jpg

@sxp Are you running one of the vendors interior tire mount solutions, or just a ratchet strap at 2 tie-down points?

@sxp Are you running one of the vendors interior tire mount solutions, or just a ratchet strap at 2 tie-down points?

It's an interior mount from Land Cruiser Phil. It has been a solid setup so far, but it does take up some space. I plan to get a rear bumper with a swing out so that I can better use the back of the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom