Need Some Advice Buying 1997 Lexus LX450! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,

Today I came across a 1997 Lexus LX450 near my area. I am going to take a look at it tomorrow afternoon and wanted some advice.

I am not too familiar with the value of these vehicles as I have been researching things on the LJ78.

It says the vehicle is FZJ80 series LX450 and all I know is that it has a very reliable motor. I currently am trying to rebuild my LJ78 and probably looking at putting in stock 2LTE (was considering 1UZ swap but don’t have the time and resources). This is much more upfront then I want to spend but I feel like it’ll be well worth my time&money if it holds true to the reliability and the increase in value.

I don’t know much about this vehicle other than what the add says and will be going to take look at it tomorrow afternoon. If I can get tips and advice regards to this vehicle it will be awesome!
Thank you

D7EC291A-EBA4-4BCA-A4F5-611866CEDA9F.png

10BB586E-926E-4344-B75C-1DA684833025.png

87E80212-CB7C-4A15-89C2-CF696E2A5D67.png

C85699A9-B41B-47F5-B074-47A4C48D1B03.png

From what I can see, buy that thing. Check it for rust. For whatever reason a lot of your pics don't come through for me, but that is low mileage, locked, and looks in very good shape. I'll be surprised if it's still available when you go to look at it.

From what I can see, buy that thing. Check it for rust. For whatever reason a lot of your pics don't come through for me, but that is low mileage, locked, and looks in very good shape. I'll be surprised if it's still available when you go to look at it.
Thanks for your reply spike. So I am the second person in line to go see it. The first guy passed on it tonight for some reason and he said I am the second guy in line so trusting his word. I said I could come tonight with a deposit but he said tomorrow is better for him so fingers crossed!

It’s going to have multiple oil leaks. Just know that. The leaks on the front are easy to fix. The PS pump will leak too. Rear main will be bad.

Make sure the lockers work. Make sure most lights light up when you start to turn the key.

If all is good at this point. Just buy it. Well depending on price. But if you are under 7k pay the man and run.

After you get it. We will help you with the list of things to fix first.

It’s going to have multiple oil leaks. Just know that. The leaks on the front are easy to fix. The PS pump will leak too. Rear main will be bad.

Make sure the lockers work. Make sure most lights light up when you start to turn the key.

If all is good at this point. Just buy it. Well depending on price. But if you are under 7k pay the man and run.

After you get it. We will help you with the list of things to fix first.
Thanks for the response tinkertoy.
The oil leak and PS pump fix, are they easy to do and affordable or something I should consider. Also I’ve never had vehicles with lockers, how do I check to make sure they are working? Lastly, what do you think it’s a fair price if everything checks out? He’s asking $9800 and I was consider somewhere around $8000 to $8800.

The oil leak and PS pump fix, are they easy to do and affordable or something I should consider. Also I’ve never had vehicles with lockers, how do I check to make sure they are working? Lastly, what do you think it’s a fair price if everything checks out? He’s asking $9800 and I was consider somewhere around $8000 to $8800.
DUDE By it! Its the little brother of my LX450. Mileage is low. With Lockers!!!! :bounce::steer::smokin::banana:

Go to a gravel road and turn them on. You’ll know once they lock. And 9800? I got virtually the same truck for 6500. In June.

It passes the eye test. Good mileage on it too (my ‘97 is at 289k miles). Value of these is rising especially of late.
Watch this @OTRAMM video for some tips before you check it out:

There’s also a section here dedicated to this you may want to look over:

If that’s in the Bay Area, check the VIN. I looked at one very similar to that and it had been in a bad wreck. CarFax didn’t give a lot of info other than it had been in a crash, but I found a post on here with the VIN on n it that showed major body damage that had been fixed poorly. A CarFax is always a good first step.

Agree with above comments. Nobody has mentioned rust yet. Mechanical is normally easy. I would check the frame and underbody for rust and make my decision based predominately on that criteria.

"Helping a friend" always a bad start...
Kilometers? Is it Canadian? Which markets got LX450s?

Clean, hard to find, has a locker button (check VIN), low miles.....

What country's currency is that $9,800? I paid $9k usd for 240k miles and no lockers. I feel I overpaid a bit but that might at least give you a starting point for reference

"Helping a friend" always a bad start...
Kilometers? Is it Canadian? Which markets got LX450s?

Clean, hard to find, has a locker button (check VIN), low miles.....
It’s in Canadian dollars so it would be around 7 to 8 grand in US dollars. 200km and I’ve never seen one this clean at this price so either it’s a good deal or there’s something.

What country's currency is that $9,800? I paid $9k usd for 240k miles and no lockers. I feel I overpaid a bit but that might at least give you a starting point for reference
It’s 9800 in Canadian dollars with 200k Km’s not miles. I’m not sure how much these things usually go for but isn’t it around 10 to 12k in usd for one of these things in good condition?

Last edited:
I have mentioned this earlier but I currently am trying to rebuild an LJ78 with 2LTE (I’ve heard all the pain and flaws of this motor, but I just love the body that I have and the look so thought I would make it a project since it’s my land cruiser). I’m around $2000 into it without engine, trans, t-case, drive shaft, and labour. Is it just worth it to buy this and sell off my current LJ78 project since I know how underpowered and unreliable they are compared to FZJ80? I’m guessing it cost me around 1 to 2 grand for engine and transmission and such so might be even in the end. Any input is appreciated!

It’s 9800 in Canadian dollars with 200k Kim’s not miles. I’m not sure how much these things usually go for but isn’t it around 10 to 12k in usd for one of these things in good condition?
yeah i noticed that it was in KM not miles. so that's a triple locked LX qith 124k original miles? Here in the US that would sell (if the seller was patient) for probably $14k-$15k USD or possibly more based on what i saw having recently purchased mine.

yeah i noticed that it was in KM not miles. so that's a triple locked LX qith 124k original miles? Here in the US that would sell (if the seller was patient) for probably $14k-$15k USD or possibly more based on what i saw having recently purchased mine.
According to the pictures and description I believe so. I know they are worth much more than that so I couldn’t believe it when it Was listed at that price point

According to the pictures and description I believe so. I know they are worth much more than that so I couldn’t believe it when it Was listed at that price point
I'm with you. heck if you have the cash i say scoop it up, clean up the little aesthetic stuff, and list it for more haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom