need RTH with Catalytic Convertor not passing readiness. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.coastal-aquariums.com
1995 FZJ80. Time to smog in CA. I have had the P0402 code for years, I usually just disconnect the battery before going in for smog and it passes.

This time around, the Torque app was saying that I wasn't passing the Catalytic convertor and the EGR readiness codes. My mechanic took temp readings on the cats and said that they definitely weren't working right because of the temperatures that he was getting. We changed out the Cats to new CA compliant units

I also ordered the HUD Expo EGR deal so that the CEL light would not turn on due to the EGR.

All of the emission monitors have cleared except for the Cats and the EGR. I was under the impression that the HUD Expo EGR dongle would allow the EGR readiness to pass, but apparently I misunderstood the point of this piece.

I have driven about 60 miles so far in varying conditions and the cats will not achieve a ready status.

first question: Will the EGR not passing readiness cause the cats not to pass?

second question: If the EGR isn't causing the Cats not to achieve readiness, what can I do to get the cats to pass? Just keep driving? I have done several freeway passes at 60 mph and a few drives around town. My mechanic is very confident that it will eventually get there and that I just have to keep driving it around.

really need the cats to pass readiness so that I can smog and drive the 80. tags are now expired, so no driving it until then.

any help here is greatly appreciated. I did search the topic and did some reading, but none of the posts touch on the EGR situation as it may or may not apply to the cats passing readiness.

1995 FZJ80. Time to smog in CA. I have had the P0402 code for years, I usually just disconnect the battery before going in for smog and it passes.

This time around, the Torque app was saying that I wasn't passing the Catalytic convertor and the EGR readiness codes. My mechanic took temp readings on the cats and said that they definitely weren't working right because of the temperatures that he was getting. We changed out the Cats to new CA compliant units

I also ordered the HUD Expo EGR deal so that the CEL light would not turn on due to the EGR.

All of the emission monitors have cleared except for the Cats and the EGR. I was under the impression that the HUD Expo EGR dongle would allow the EGR readiness to pass, but apparently I misunderstood the point of this piece.

I have driven about 60 miles so far in varying conditions and the cats will not achieve a ready status.

first question: Will the EGR not passing readiness cause the cats not to pass?

second question: If the EGR isn't causing the Cats not to achieve readiness, what can I do to get the cats to pass? Just keep driving? I have done several freeway passes at 60 mph and a few drives around town. My mechanic is very confident that it will eventually get there and that I just have to keep driving it around.

really need the cats to pass readiness so that I can smog and drive the 80. tags are now expired, so no driving it until then.

any help here is greatly appreciated. I did search the topic and did some reading, but none of the posts touch on the EGR situation as it may or may not apply to the cats passing readiness.
Remove the HUD resistor, plug it back the way it was, then smog it.

1) You will fail visual with the EGR temp sensor disconnected. If your EGR will not pass a physical functional check, that will need to be fixed.

2) OBD monitors are not checked on 1995 and your "mechanic" should have told you that. You are driving around wasting time and gas.

I've had a PO402 code for 15 years and it always passes smog. The difference this year is that it wasn't showing readiness on the cats after I disconnected the battery to temporarily clear the 402 code. Not sure why you feel the need to use quotes on "mechanic". He is indeed a mechanic.

Are you saying that as long as the check engine light is off and it passes the sniffer, I'm good?

I wondered about the visual inspection, but I also wonder if they would even notice. There are so many different engines out there and it's not like they see 80's every day. I was thinking it would take a sharp eye to catch it.

I've had a PO402 code for 15 years and it always passes smog. The difference this year is that it wasn't showing readiness on the cats after I disconnected the battery to temporarily clear the 402 code. Not sure why you feel the need to use quotes on "mechanic". He is indeed a mechanic.

Are you saying that as long as the check engine light is off and it passes the sniffer, I'm good?

I wondered about the visual inspection, but I also wonder if they would even notice. There are so many different engines out there and it's not like they see 80's every day. I was thinking it would take a sharp eye to catch it.

Please re-read my information listed at #1and #2. Not only do they answer your 1st post but also most of your second.

A check engine light is a fail if it stays on after cycling the ignition following the two speed idle test.

Good luck.

Please re-read my information listed at #1and #2. Not only do they answer your 1st post but also most of your second.

A check engine light is a fail if it stays on after cycling the ignition following the two speed idle test.

Good luck.

I put it back to factory EGR state, talked to mechanic. If it says OBD2 under the hood, you have to smog it that way. This one says OBD2 and is indeed OBD2. He said if it has been entered as OBD2 in the smog database in the past, it will kick it out if he states OBD1.

Drove it around 40 miles today, still didn't give a ready status for Cats or EGR. Reset codes, drove more, now no Cat, EGR or O2. It was already warm when I cleared the codes, going to try again tomorrow with a cold start. Any other suggestions?

Wondering if a new O2 sensor would help? The sensor passed readiness yesterday, but not today. I have read of others fixing the Cat issue with a new O2 sensor. But I also don't want to throw money and parts at it unnecessarily.

I put it back to factory EGR state, talked to mechanic. If it says OBD2 under the hood, you have to smog it that way. This one says OBD2 and is indeed OBD2. He said if it has been entered as OBD2 in the smog database in the past, it will kick it out if he states OBD1.

Drove it around 40 miles today, still didn't give a ready status for Cats or EGR. Reset codes, drove more, now no Cat, EGR or O2. It was already warm when I cleared the codes, going to try again tomorrow with a cold start. Any other suggestions?

Wondering if a new O2 sensor would help? The sensor passed readiness yesterday, but not today. I have read of others fixing the Cat issue with a new O2 sensor. But I also don't want to throw money and parts at it unnecessarily.
1000% go to a different shop. That person should resign.

Just make sure you have it nice and hot.

Follow my directions and don't over think it. If it fails, at least you know where to start.

In 1994, various manufacturers started implementing OBD2 into their vehicles, but OBD2 was not required until 1996.

1995 and older are tested as OD1 and NO monitors are read. 1996-1999 are tested OBD2 w the sniffer.

1000% go to a different shop. That person should resign.

Just make sure you have it nice and hot.

Follow my directions and don't over think it. If it fails, at least you know where to start.

Just curious, what are your qualifications for such a confident response? I ask that with all due respect. Are you a Toyota mechanic?

@wakesetter @TYM4FUN knows his sheeeet when it comes to smog when he says trust him he means it and won't mislead you and give you false info.
I'm sure your mechanic got his info. mixed up or he is a rookie when it comes to smog laws, I don't do smogs but I do know that a 95 is not OBD2 tested.
You can ask for a temporary permit to operate from DMV so you can drive your vehicle and not get a ticket, good luck on the smog test.

Well the shop I was going to couldn't get me on the smog machine yesterday, so I took it to the shop I used to go to but swore off when he told me my timing was at 15° and that I had to fix that before it could smog. (Took it home and it was dead on, the knucklehead mechanic was jumping the wrong wire).

She passed no problem. I asked the tech about the OBD2 issues and he said it's a 95, so we don't look at that stuff. I'm 90% sure I just bought 2 cats for no reason. Ugh. Oh well, at least my exhaust smells better now.

This just solidifies my opinion that 95's are the best year of 80's. If it was a 96 or 97, I would have been chasing EGR issues and more.

Remove the HUD resistor, plug it back the way it was, then smog it.

1) You will fail visual with the EGR temp sensor disconnected. If your EGR will not pass a physical functional check, that will need to be fixed.

2) OBD monitors are not checked on 1995 and your "mechanic" should have told you that. You are driving around wasting time and gas.
@TYM4FUN even if 1995 with full on obd2 port they wont check for monitor?

This just solidifies my opinion that 95's are the best year of 80's.
What you mean is OBD1 80's are the best models.
yeah I know this is 3 years late lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom