Need recommendation for electroplating (Yellow Zinc) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m looking for a new place to get my bolts and smaller metal pieces plated (yellow zinc) for my restoration. The place I prevoiusly used is no longer in operation. My biggest concern is not losing the parts and having it done right. I live in MS and would prefer SE USA but its not a problem to mail the parts long distance for good quality work and service. Thanks in advance!

You'd be surprised what you can find locally. I just googled for plating services around me the other day and found two really good shops that will cad, zinc, or whatever you'd like. Smaller stuff is usually by the pound. I'd check to see what you can find around you by searching for plating services and develop a relationship. This way you can just jet over there over a lunch break and not have to fuss with shipping and so on. Just a thought!

You'd be surprised what you can find locally. I just googled for plating services around me the other day and found two really good shops that will cad, zinc, or whatever you'd like. Smaller stuff is usually by the pound. I'd check to see what you can find around you by searching for plating services and develop a relationship. This way you can just jet over there over a lunch break and not have to fuss with shipping and so on. Just a thought!
For sure thats ideal. Unfortunately I’m in South MS and there are no local shops. I used to use one in Mobile which was great but i heard they closed down. I tried using one in Jackson MS and they sat on my parts for 6 weeks waiting for a break from their high value aerospace work (Which never happened). I hate mailing the parts but will do it if needed. Every time I do this I tell myself I’m going to learn how to electroplate myself.

Gotcha - was worth a shot. I thought about doing the same thing, but I have limited space - and with the giant science projects I see people fussing with and working to get them right - I thought the juice wasn't worth the squeeze with what little I needed to plate. Good luck finding a shop that will take good care of you. x2 on the aircooled magic. Just finished a 68 911L refresh. Loads of fun but stupid expensive to own and maintain. Incredibly fickle too, in comparison to a 2F.

Gotcha - was worth a shot. I thought about doing the same thing, but I have limited space - and with the giant science projects I see people fussing with and working to get them right - I thought the juice wasn't worth the squeeze with what little I needed to plate. Good luck finding a shop that will take good care of you. x2 on the aircooled magic. Just finished a 68 911L refresh. Loads of fun but stupid expensive to own and maintain. Incredibly fickle too, in comparison to a 2F.
Mine is a 66 912 (Oct 65 prod) . Turned every bolt and put it back together in original Bahama Yellow. That engine is the most reliable thing I’ve ever owned. My experience with 911 from that era is similar to yours. I no longer own the 911‘s but the 912 is here to stay. Hope to have A perfect FJ40 for the same reliable and satisfying experience

Quality Plating @ 615-251-3515 (Nashville, TN)

Initial Removal:
1627565855382.png

24hr in Evaporust:
1627565900485.png

24hr in a tumbler with coarse crushed walnuts shells:
1627565772890.png

After Quality Plating's magic:
1627565732246.png

I've had good luck just grabbing new looking SEMS fasteners from crashed cars/trucks in the pick n pull. I bring back a few pounds each time I go - dirt cheap. @GA Architect do you recall how much a pound quality plating charges and will they do the clean up? Is that cad or yellow zinc?

I've had good luck just grabbing new looking SEMS fasteners from crashed cars/trucks in the pick n pull. I bring back a few pounds each time I go - dirt cheap. @GA Architect do you recall how much a pound quality plating charges and will they do the clean up? Is that cad or yellow zinc?

Mine are yellow zinc. Seems like they had a minimum, I think $50 or so?

So is there a list somewhere detailing what was OEM yellow vs silver? As a broad generality it looks like almost everything visible on the body both exterior and interior was silver with under body and under hood a mixture. Maybe Toyota mixed and matched over the years?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom