Need oil to topend (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just did the head on my 45 swb and everything is good except I don't seem to be getting any oil to the rocker assembly. Tube is unobsrtucted. When I pull the sending unit oil spurts out pretty well, so I think I have pretty good oil pressure. Everything worked ok before disassembly and all I really pulled was the head
. Tried priming the pump with my drill. Engine sounds ok when it runs-just no oil. Can anyone tell me why I'm not getting oil up top? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks! ;p ;p

Pull the tube off and see if oil comes out when you prime the pump, if not then you need to check the route between the pump and the pipe. Make sure your valve train is assembled correctly. You will only have an ooze of oil dribble out of the hole on the rockers... shouldn't squirt. It is really easy to kink that pipe.

Pipe seems unobstructed. Guess I'll watch it for a while. Thanks for your input.

Probably not your problem but I had a "F" rebuilt once and I think
the assembler must of gotten some bad drugs that day. 1st clue
when I installed the engine it didn't get oil to the top. I checked
everything I could think of and finally pulled the engine and took it
back so they could reinstall the cam bearings right. Some time
later (to long to take it back) it spun a rod bearing and upon
disassembly I found it had a broken main cap ( looked like it was
broke on assembly from the marks on the back of the bearing)
and the pistons had been installed 180 degrees backwards.

Long answer for you in your Pirate thread Charlie.;)

your head gasket is upside down and obstructing the hole. pull your head back off and make sure there is a hole in the head gasket where the oil comes up. this also happens if you happened to get the wrong gasket.

Last edited:
your head gasket is upside down and obstructing the hole. pull your head back off and make sure there is a hole in the head gasket where the oil comes up. this also happens if you happened to get the wrong gasket. check it out, bet I'm right.
:confused:

x2 Thanks for all your input guys. Pulled the pan and found a bad crank bearing. Now I just have to decide if I want to rebuild the F or go GM. Truck is not really a candidate for a restore so I 'm gonna focus on the trail rig "thing".Thinking about parting out my 79 hilux and using suspension and part of the drive train from it on the 45. Again thanks, I appreciate all the offered help.;p ;p :beer:

you can actually flip the head gasket and install it to where you accidently cover the oil hole.

There ya go with that 2F thinking again!;p It just so happens that Charlie has a siamese port F engine.

Charlie, have you considered hand polishing the crank in the truck and slapping a different set of bearings in. Several people on this board have tried it with pretty good success. It takes more patience than $$, and you've already got the pan off.

:cheers:

There ya go with that 2F thinking again!;p It just so happens that Charlie has a siamese port F engine.

Charlie, have you considered hand polishing the crank in the truck and slapping a different set of bearings in. Several people on this board have tried it with pretty good success. It takes more patience than $$, and you've already got the pan off.

:cheers:
Actually no, I hadn't thought of that. Just pulled one cap and found the bad bearing-haven't even looked at the others. Guess I'll look. Got a 4bolt sbc and I'm probably gonna part my hilux out and use a lot of those parts. Thanks for your help.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom