Need off-road tires for my 2006 stock LX470 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I have a 2006 Lexus LX470 with stock rated tires, they're 275/60 R18 Michelin defenders, I have added a 1.5" wheel spacers, have taken it off-road a couple of times (mountain drive), however I am looking to install off-road capable/rated tires, the truck still has a fully functional AHC and I am not willing to delete it, any recommendations on what tires and tire sizes fit nicely and look good on the truck? I was thinking of installing 285/65 R18, but will need your help deciding please, it's much appreciated!

On OE Lexus wheels, without spacers, I had no issues with BFG KO2s in 285/65R18 and later in 275/70R18 (while still running AHC).

Aftermarket wheels (with different offset) and/or spacers may alter what will/won’t fit.

On OE Lexus wheels, without spacers, I had no issues with BFG KO2s in 285/65R18 and later in 275/70R18 (while still running AHC).

Aftermarket wheels (with different offset) and/or spacers may alter what will/won’t fit.
Thanks much! Yes, I’m planning to keep the stock wheels, only replace the tires and also keep AHC

I went with 255/85/16 and prefer those to the wider tires. They don’t sit flush with the outside of the fender, but are fantastic size for the utility. You don’t have a ton of options for tires, but I have had good experiences on previous vehicles with the st maxx.

Remove the spacers and you should be totally safe with 275/70/18. With spacers you might have to do some pinch weld/liner reshaping and washer reservoir removal. Either way the spacers limit tire size before rub occurs.

Larger tire > Spacers. :p

@Monstertruck I just went with what @bamabrock posted from the 100-series FAQ
Your post is a common question, common enough they made it a FAQ
2nd item under the 100 series basics = What is the largest tire I can fit with no lift? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/what-is-the-largest-tire-i-can-fit-with-no-lift.263259/
I am running 285/65/18 Yokohama M/T
Be advised that any M/T or A/T E rated tire will be louder and a bit firmer than those really smooth Michelins, but you still got AHC...so that helps smooth things out a lot.
I also run 1 inch Bora spacers and am glad I did not get anything more than that (as @suprarx7nut pointed out = with spacers you may rub)
Hope this helps and welcome to the Forum

275/70R18 yields a taller LX.

285/65R18 yields a bulkier overall look on your LX.

Thank you all for this great feedback!

I do like my tires to sit flush with the outside of the fender (just for overall looks), so I think I will go with 285/65R18, I am hoping they won't rub with the current 1.5" spacers, otherwise I might need to change the configuration. My goal is to have a nice bulky/aggressive looking truck with added off-roading capabilities, I hope I am not asking for much :)

Anyone knows of any potential impacts of running spacers? I heard that spacers might reduce bearing life and/or negatively impact suspension components, any thoughts?

Thanks again for sharing your great experience and knowledge, this is really helpful and much appreciated :)

Allan

Thank you all for this great feedback!

I do like my tires to sit flush with the outside of the fender (just for overall looks), so I think I will go with 285/65R18, I am hoping they won't rub with the current 1.5" spacers, otherwise I might need to change the configuration. My goal is to have a nice bulky/aggressive looking truck with added off-roading capabilities, I hope I am not asking for much :)

Anyone knows of any potential impacts of running spacers? I heard that spacers might reduce bearing life and/or negatively impact suspension components, any thoughts?

Thanks again for sharing your great experience and knowledge, this is really helpful and much appreciated :)

Allan
I think you'll be fine with 285/65/18. That's 32.6" and even with the spacers I think you'll have some clearance. You can check by turning the wheel slightly and then get out and look at the clearance between your current tire and the liner. If you have at least 1" of gap you should be fine. Your potential new size is about 1.6" larger overall, or about .8" larger on each side.

Spacers: if installed properly no huge issue, but it's not doing any favors. It creates a larger lever arm on the suspension and bearings, but none of those items are fragile on the 100. It's made to be abused. Just be sure they're installed clean and fastened properly. If you search around you'll find catastrophic failures of spacers coming loose, but they tend to be A) off brand spacers and B) people can't confirm they were installed properly. Take them seriously and you should be fine.

I think you'll be fine with 285/65/18. That's 32.6" and even with the spacers I think you'll have some clearance. You can check by turning the wheel slightly and then get out and look at the clearance between your current tire and the liner. If you have at least 1" of gap you should be fine. Your potential new size is about 1.6" larger overall, or about .8" larger on each side.

Spacers: if installed properly no huge issue, but it's not doing any favors. It creates a larger lever arm on the suspension and bearings, but none of those items are fragile on the 100. It's made to be abused. Just be sure they're installed clean and fastened properly. If you search around you'll find catastrophic failures of spacers coming loose, but they tend to be A) off brand spacers and B) people can't confirm they were installed properly. Take them seriously and you should be fine.
I will confirm the gap between current tire and liner before ordering new tires, thanks for the tip! :)
Also, what is the recommended tire pressure for the 285/65R18? I think it won't be the same as my current tire pressure, correct?
I like BFG KO2's, but wondering if KM3 is a better bet... in my case I don't think I'll be doing super hardcore off-roading, and would like to get the quietest possible off-road tires...
I also understand that my MPG will take a good hit, I currently average 10.5-11 city and ~15.5-16 highway, does anyone have an idea of how big of a hit in MPG with 285/65R18?

Thank you!!!

Allan

I will confirm the gap between current tire and liner before ordering new tires, thanks for the tip! :)
Also, what is the recommended tire pressure for the 285/65R18? I think it won't be the same as my current tire pressure, correct?
I like BFG KO2's, but wondering if KM3 is a better bet... in my case I don't think I'll be doing super hardcore off-roading, and would like to get the quietest possible off-road tires...
I also understand that my MPG will take a good hit, I currently average 10.5-11 city and ~15.5-16 highway, does anyone have an idea of how big of a hit in MPG with 285/65R18?

Thank you!!!

Allan
Pressure wont be much different due to size. I run 35 ish on my 295/70/17 ridge grappler.

KM3 are definitely not the quietest off road tire, haha. I love the look, but I couldn't stand driving a worn MT for long on the highway.

Mpg hit depends on your driving, but doesn't have to be huge.

I’m curious. Which tire set up did you prefer and why?

285/65R18. Pros/cons?

275/70R18. Pros/cons?

Is this preference or specific function?

I’m curious. Which tire set up did you prefer and why?

285/65R18. Pros/cons?

275/70R18. Pros/cons?

Is this preference or specific function?

There’s not that much difference, but the 275/70R18 appears to be a common, easy to find size, that is apparently an OE size on some pickups. They were also about $40 less per tire ($200 less on a set of 5 tires) on my preferred make/model tire. Something about being able to find an “in stock” replacement while on a road trip, vs “we can order that for you and have it here for you in a couple of days” makes me feel “warm and fuzzy”!

285/65R18 = 32.6” tall and 11.22” wide
275/70R18 = 33.16” tall and 10.83” wide

Last edited:
There’s not that much difference, but the 275/70/18 appears to be a common, easy to find size, that is apparently an OE size on some pickups. They were also about $40 less per tire ($200 less on a set of 5 tires) on my preferred make/model tire. Something about being able to find an “in stock” replacement while on a road trip, vs “we can order that for you and have it here for you in a couple of days” makes me feel “warm and fuzzy”!

There’s not that much difference, but the 275/70/18 appears to be a common, easy to find size, that is apparently an OE size on some pickups. They were also about $40 less per tire ($200 less on a set of 5 tires) on my preferred make/model tire. Something about being able to find an “in stock” replacement while on a road trip, vs “we can order that for you and have it here for you in a couple of days” makes me feel “warm and fuzzy”!

Excellent response.

Follow up question. Why does everyone seem to switch wheels on the LX 470? Preference or function?

Seems like 18” OEM wheel’s aren’t very popular but after market wheel options for the 100 is somewhat limited.

What’s the pro/con of the stock wheel vs after market?

I’ve seen threads with after market wheel options, what type of spacers, off set, rubbing, pinch welds….etc.

I don’t recall a pro/con comparison of stock LX 470 18’s vs after market. There are some darn good looking rigs with after market wheels but I’ve always wondered if this is more aesthetic or if a specific size after market wheel provides a specific function?

16 vs 18, no pros or cons. The pros of running a 16 inch are neglibible because you'll run into the ability limits of the 100 series far before you'd have an advantage on the 16s over 18s. Sure theres more sidewall, but there is enough on a 33 inch tire on 18 inch wheel. 18s weigh more as a wheel, by about 10 lbs.

LT E rated tires run awful on an empty loaded Land Cruiser 100. I would not recommend them if you don't have extra weight, or you're just running fire roads and easier-trails. LT tires do worse in the winter due to harder compund and less silica.

275/70/18 only come in E rated except for General Grabber AT, which is a tire I wouldn't consider.
Theres 265/70/18 which is a P rated tire option along with LT and costs less than the 275/70. Comes in at 32.6 inches.

Aftermarket vs OEM wheels: its hard finding aftermarket choices that have +25-40mm offset. They're mostly made for Tundras with 0 offset which will rub your fenders on a 100 series. Some Tundra wheels, you'll need to run an aftermarket wheel spacer.

I also hate the BFG KO2 which is a popular offroad tire. They don't do well for large puddles of water and hydroplane water evacuation. You can see it in the tread design. Its also the oldest design of AT tires in which all of the competitors have caught up with their latest tire offerings.

Excellent response.

Follow up question. Why does everyone seem to switch wheels on the LX 470? Preference or function?

Seems like 18” OEM wheel’s aren’t very popular but after market wheel options for the 100 is somewhat limited.

What’s the pro/con of the stock wheel vs after market?

I’ve seen threads with after market wheel options, what type of spacers, off set, rubbing, pinch welds….etc.

I don’t recall a pro/con comparison of stock LX 470 18’s vs after market. There are some darn good looking rigs with after market wheels but I’ve always wondered if this is more aesthetic or if a specific size after market wheel provides a specific function?

I can’t help you there…

I have 2 on factory 16” (w/ 285/75R16) and 1 on factory 18” (w/ 275/70R18)

Most of the aftermarket 5x150 wheels are intended for the Tundra, and start at 18”. There’s a small number of 16” or 17” aftermarket wheels with a reasonable offset.

33 x 12 is a safe bet, just do the conversion. BFG KM3's are the best off road tires I have ever used over 20 years of off-roading.

I’m now running 275/65 R18 TOYO Tires Open Country A/T lll tires which work out to a 32” tire and they’ve been great on my stock 2006 LX470. They did really great over Mengel Pass and down Lippencott Mine road in Death Valley. They are also not too loud on the highway… like you, I had the Michelin’s before. Here they are in Echo Canyon, Death Valley…
516D8EEB-5109-40AD-91C5-B8B8EE7AAE59.jpeg

Last edited:
I'll second the advice against the E rated BFGs (285/60) on a stock ride. Did so, and the ride was terrible. Looked great, but not worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom