Need ideas on how to mount a 7-way trailor connector (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tachycardic

SILVER Star
Threads
Title says it all. Do you zip tie it to the hitch, or drilled holes somewhere to mount it? Would love to see some pics. I'm using the Hopkins #47180 (4-flat to 7-blade) kit, and have a stock bumper. Thanks.

Last edited:
Have mounted it under a stock bumper before. That last about 10 minutes Offroad before it was bent and nearly broken. Now buying a Dissent Off Road bumper with the 7-pin mounted in the bumper.

3711FEFA-76C6-49F3-835E-279979D559EB.png

Have mounted it under a stock bumper before. That last about 10 minutes Offroad before it was bent and nearly broken. Now buying a Dissent Off Road bumper with the 7-pin mounted in the bumper.

View attachment 2382962
Nice bumper! Anyone have a mounting solution with the stock bumper.

I mounted my 7-way plug bracket onto a Harbor Freight retrieval magnet painted to match the hitch.

When not in use it tucks up onto the backside of the hitch. To use, I just reach underneath and it drops down and sticks to the bottom of the hitch. It has been on for over 100K of driving and probably 10K of towing and has worked out fine. You never see it unless you are towing.

Connector Magnet.jpg

Just drill a hole and mount.
The rear cross member is a double wall design and would be a pretty tough for me to drill through. I would rather cut through the plastic bumper 'wings' flanking the cross member, but would be a stretch for the trailer connector.

I mounted my 7-way plug bracket onto a Harbor Freight retrieval magnet painted to match the hitch.

When not in use it tucks up onto the backside of the hitch. To use, I just reach underneath and it drops down and sticks to the bottom of the hitch. It has been on for over 100K of driving and probably 10K of towing and has worked out fine. You never see it unless you are towing.

View attachment 2383081
I like this. Did it stay in place during rough-roading (driving on unimproved roads/washerboards/trails) with this set up?

I mounted mine behind the IPOR bumper thinking it was out of the way, problem is that it is a pain to get to. I like the idea above about the magnet mount.

I like this. Did it stay in place during rough-roading (driving on unimproved roads/washerboards/trails) with this set up?

Yes. Stays in place fine over rough roads/wash board surfaces.

The only place I have had it get knocked off is actual off-road driving where it hung down too low and contacted the ground (I had forgotten to put it away after towing).

I also use a magnet, simply zip-tied to the plug harness.

The rear cross member is a double wall design and would be a pretty tough for me to drill through. I would rather cut through the plastic bumper 'wings' flanking the cross member, but would be a stretch for the trailer connector.
Move it over a bit to miss the double wall section. See my post here.

That's perfect! Can you get a shot of the underside? just wanted to see what your wiring looks like and how close the 7-way connector gets to the spare tire. Thanks!

That's perfect! Can you get a shot of the underside? just wanted to see what your wiring looks like and how close the 7-way connector gets to the spare tire. Thanks!
UYDRlDioClTnEsN470MXmGOc2w2P4PAiwNt7hL9rf0m8NJ6Bsr7v7dGlO8k_7fImU8F2dkoyz-4Gd4Wbz0t2v_BQqSk8-LUcDUCFz66RnaH-LkIj9RGvrOFqcjmpMeE0jJ080VuW7RW6VnG_w5DHOaOegugO3oSEde3BFWFAQobzzaLG-OSMiqFp7_oD7gwZS21NYsMTSErMtVA3I24k58QJ7ifXlwpWnGYkqVN2nT3HqZ0GJ9YI-iKER-P0Nlb1Zbgnc9HXL6yjUUMY1jiZV1pYsQ4Z8P7ZrZJZD4yeWgF-g2doAfoluJ1gRkRQg4zxw2tqWA3PfghxtoXMEUB7cGK9qvJthtfZyIRVJuiM0wfT4icl1w8PGfWJXfdZty8tlq5IH3vSSeiNiXIFJMvgJ5OHOvaoaIztZxzxj_9H1m2zv3im3IE_XbyweMM-bVsaY3dqvKUIDTh1R_xwv5hDEQpXjWzg_oVPmuAsDrFLoxhzhGtg-G0O9uqDHaXd4wxFUzBGT8KxX5j97ZUaLAq4kuHhwJ_ObusgFqWI44YNoW-JifBjmgtYk4574A2-Ho7L5C9lT2Ca8C4hQ7xLQzvIIjO8mAB9h5Krlp8CsdxmH0Mxd1zpFps1fqFVZDeMPNshCJjMYhQyi6FiquvuB6ySsV0FtblapEngg8K74wbj4MU5u8o18cWxAcyg=w1270-h953-no

(Rear of vehicle is down in the picture)
The trailer plug is installed on the other side of the double wall so it's not even close to the spare. I positioned mine as close as I could to center... roughly near that hole you see in the underside of the bumper.

Thank you!

View attachment 2383081

That's a great idea! I love it

I did the same thing after I was tired if bending/ripping it out of the way when it was mounted down at the hitch.

I went ahead and drilled a 2&1/8” hole and treated it to some Rustoleum. The 7-way connector bolted right up to the factory bumper. Tightening the bolts on the back side was a little tricky, but I was able to do it with a swivel head ratchet and 12“ extension.

D853222D-695E-4FD0-A89E-49B6E6E54153.jpeg

I went ahead and drilled a 2&1/8” hole and treated it to some Rustoleum. The 7-way connector bolted right up to the factory bumper. Tightening the bolts on the back side was a little tricky, but I was able to do it with a swivel head ratchet and 12“ extension.

View attachment 2386783
Nice! Can I see your swing out? Details please. :)

I don't have a swing out. You mean the jerry can holder?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom