Need help with this (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.automobilefinds.com
Hello, could someone tell me what is wrong in this photo? I heard a clunking sound on the drivers side front. Also, is it safe to drive to my mechanic or do I need to have it towed.

IMG_6304.jpeg

Hard to tell from one photo. what do you suspect?

Clunking is a lot of times associated with the birf's failing. How long have you noticed? Is it when making full turns? From the photo I would say you need to tear into those knuckles and join the "knuckle rebuild" club.

Other than your balls are dry...
look at the top of the shock where the bushings sandwich the tower.

Here is an update. I crawled under to explore more and it looks like this bushing has pushed out. Do you think that is my problem? Also, since this is out, what else should I look for? Thanks everyone!

IMG_6307.jpeg

That would definitely make a clunk.
Check the bushings at the frame end of the sway bars too, and your shock bushings.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your responses. Looks like I need to get some grease and some new bushings and do some more checking.

You can just push that swaybar bushing back into place then drive to test/confirm that's what you heard. It will clunk when the bushing pushes out though so it's at least one of the clunks you heard.

Replacement of that particular bushing is an easy a 1 banana job. The bushings on the ends can be a little trickier but are also pretty DIY friendly even if you don't wrench much. Here are the part numbers that I should cover replacement of all sway/stabilizer bar bushings but you should verify in case I've left something out or in case rust/damage necessitates that you replace more parts of the system. These are from when I did this replacement work on my '97 in case that's relevant:

Bolt, front stabilizer90101-101724$4.00
Nut94180-410004$4.00
Collar, stabilizer bar90560-102754$6.00
BUSH,STABILIZE 90385-110214$4.00
BUSH, FRONT STABILIZER BAR, NO.148815-600702$10.00
BUSH, STABILIZER(FOR REAR)48815-260202$10.00

You may have to cut off the bolts on the front. They tend to seize to the sleeve. Small hacksaw will get the job done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom