Need help with purchase decision. Thanks! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Folks, some of you had asked to see pics of this rig I am checking out. Let me know what you think and if something jumps out at you that need further inspection. Thanks.
Nav

1996-1.jpg

1996-2.jpg

1996-4.jpg

1996-6.jpg

1996-10.jpg

If you every have any questions feel free to reach out to me. I am happy to help. I'll give you my number and you can call whenever. I was lucky to have people around me that could help me out when I first got started. Good luck with the inspection tomorrow.
Steve, can you PM me your phone number? Thanks! I will take any offers of help that I can get. Thank you friend!

Folks, some of you had asked to see pics of this rig I am checking out. Let me know what you think and if something jumps out at you that need further inspection. Thanks.
Nav

View attachment 2320083

View attachment 2320084

View attachment 2320086

View attachment 2320088

View attachment 2320096
If you look at the wheel well sections you may notice what look like rust holes. I guess that is where most of the rust problem areas are. Also I don't know if it is just me but the passenger side picture of the side profile indicates two different paint tones. The rear quarter of vehicle is different, more brilliant white than the rest of the truck. Thoughts? Comments?

$5K?! No. It's missing it's air cleaner and its got some bubba heat shielding going on. Looks like every rubber bit under the hood is original. The passenger right front corner took a hit. The hood doesn't close evenly... That thing took a serious punch to the nose.
Oh and the heater valve is ready to die if you look at it too close, you can tell by the color. If you wiggled the hoses I bet it would fall apart in your hands.
$2500-$3K tops. Plan on putting $1K in rubber and replacement bits under the hood in the first month.

When you go look at it bring and OBDII code reader. With the look of the rubber under the hood I bet its thowing a couple different EGR related codes.

I agree with Rusty Marlin. That thing looks rough. Personally I would pass. There will be a lot of things you would have to do in order to get it in better/working condition. I would say you would have to throw $3K-$5K in motor work and interior repairs. There are a lot of great 80 series out there for sale. The interior is in really bad shape. Personally I would pass. Unless you had a BUNCH of mechanical knowledge about 80 series and felt confident about being able to almost rebuild that engine, I wouldn't do it. Sorry for the bad news. Continue the search and you will find a LC in much better shape.

You can find a much better truck for the same money.

There is a lot of "I can make it better" crap that you will need to undo. This is not "purist" issues talking, it's the experience of a forum that deals with these all over the world.

That should be $2500 TOPS. Does it have a salvage title? If so, it's worth half of that.

Wow, not sure whats going on with that air cleaner and sheet metal under it? looks cheeeesy and hot...

$5K?! No. It's missing it's air cleaner and its got some bubba heat shielding going on. Looks like every rubber bit under the hood is original. The passenger right front corner took a hit. The hood doesn't close evenly... That thing took a serious punch to the nose.
Oh and the heater valve is ready to die if you look at it too close, you can tell by the color. If you wiggled the hoses I bet it would fall apart in your hands.
$2500-$3K tops. Plan on putting $1K in rubber and replacement bits under the hood in the first month.

When you go look at it bring and OBDII code reader. With the look of the rubber under the hood I bet its thowing a couple different EGR related codes.
Rusty,
Thanks for your honest input on this rig. This is why this site is so great. You can see so much from just the pics posted. This could easily end up being a hole in the road when it comes to repair costs. Will see how low he is willing to go. What is the best source to find LCs? I have been using AutoTrader, AutoTempest, Craigslist mostly. I don't see to find too many vehicles in the price range I am looking for. I understand many will need some kind of work done but I definitely do not want to start with a lemon. Thanks!

You can find a much better truck for the same money.

There is a lot of "I can make it better" crap that you will need to undo. This is not "purist" issues talking, it's the experience of a forum that deals with these all over the world.

That should be $2500 TOPS. Does it have a salvage title? If so, it's worth half of that.
Hello,
I hear what you are saying about undoing all the rigging that went into it. It does not have a salvage title and AutoCheck shows it was not in a serious accident. I also understand that these car reporting services do not list a lot of accidents that do not total the vehicle. Thank you for your input, Nav.

I agree with Rusty Marlin. That thing looks rough. Personally I would pass. There will be a lot of things you would have to do in order to get it in better/working condition. I would say you would have to throw $3K-$5K in motor work and interior repairs. There are a lot of great 80 series out there for sale. The interior is in really bad shape. Personally I would pass. Unless you had a BUNCH of mechanical knowledge about 80 series and felt confident about being able to almost rebuild that engine, I wouldn't do it. Sorry for the bad news. Continue the search and you will find a LC in much better shape.
Thank you Steve for your candor. That's the kind of help I have been looking for in helping select and purchase a 80 series.

Regarding places to shop I'd add Facebook Marketplace to your list. It's the reason I have a FB account, and I don't have any friends or use FB for anything else but FB Marketplace is pretty active from what I've seen.

J, that is excellent advice. Will definitely add that to my list.

Hi folks,
In addition to the first LC I was looking add, I am starting to look at others after a number of you pointed out the expensive problems with this rig. I will be posting information a few more LCs for sale I am looking at. Please look at these and give your opinion as well. Many thanks. Below is another.

What are thoughts on this one?

I got more pics from the seller of under the hood and the undercarriage. Will post them below.

OK I will copy and paste some info here.
1995 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ80 in great shape. Brand new paint job. Runs great! Needs minor maintenance on muffler and needs new tires. All wheel drive.. Comes with premium sound system with hands free, amp, and 10"sub. Has the Center Dif Lock upgrade button, remote start and keyless entry, leather interior, and sunroof. Similar Cruisers going for over $10k. Willing to negotiate a bit on price. 275K miles.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

20200510_120423.jpg

20200510_120534.jpg

Could be in the ballpark on that one but:
  • miles are creeping up so has it had HG replaced or other possible service items done yet?
  • the paint job could be hiding something or could have been poorly applied, I'd look closely at it.
  • hard to tell with all of the dust but it may be due a radiator along with a good bit of rubber/hoses under the hood
  • leather up front is starting to show it's age but isn't totally dead yet
  • doesn't seem problematically rusty though there are a few spots showing underneath so I'd definitely go looking for it. Paint could be hiding rust in some body panels but you can maybe find it with tap testing for filler, etc. or at least look carefully underneath for rust that will let you know if there are likely problems with rust above
  • could use some good cleaning
By the time you add tires, do service work and catch up on pm you'll be well over 10k on that truck by my estimations. Will it be worth 10k to you at that point? You'd be stuck with the paint job at that point I'd guess and may have some larger repairs like HG work, valve stem seals and deeper oil leak repairs ahead of you also. Starts to make more sense in my opinion around $5k if there's no rust, no hidden body issues and the paint looks good to you. Lots of unknowns though so that could head either way with more information in my estimations.

I'm thinking $6500 is okay for this one. It'll probably need a knuckle rebuild and a new HG is a distinct possibility at that mileage unless the owner has evidence that these were performed recently. I'm gonna nitpick and say that I prefer cloth seats and an 80 without the factory roof rack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom