Need Help with an Electrical Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wrecking yard for relays, almost all makes use a similar bosch style relay, the difference is the amperage they are rated for. Most are 30amp which is more than enough for what you are doing..

I hit pick and pull on half price fays and hit all the crown vic's for the small relay boxes as they are sealed and have a foot long pigtail.. you can also buy a relay holder off amazon for a few bucks but the oem stuff is better..

Electric fuel pumps draw quite a bit of amperage on startup, so oversize the wire from the battery a little,

One other thing check all you hoses, clamps and lines, being low pressure/ vaccum the hose may not leak fuel but will seap air, which may be your problem.

For what its worth the fuse and the fuse box terminals are it great shape.

Regarding the priming issue - apparently I'm not alone based on the research I did on this site. Ive tried every combination of pumping the pedal or not pumping the pedal, choking it or not choking. But once I can no longer see fuel through the little round window in the front of the carb the only way I can get it started is to pour an ounce of fuel into the carb and it will start right up and run fine.

The PO said he put a new OEM mechanical pump on it just before I purchase the FJ. I spent a bunch of money to have a rebuilt OEM carb put on it by a shop I've come to trust over the years and it still has the problem.

I don't like doing what I'm attempting to do but no one seems to have a definitive fix to the starting problem.

How do you know the terminals are in great shape?

The proper way to diagnose is to push the button and use your meter to find where you are losing voltage in the chain of connections between the battery and your "device". Did you do that? If you did not then you are just assuming and guessing.

Maybe this would be a better option???

IMG_2688.JPG

I just wanted to close the loop on this thread. I've finished wiring the electric fuel pump as drawn in my 3:52pm post with the addition of a 3 Amp in-line fuse between pin 87 and the pump.

The radio and the pump both work.

The FJ40 sat for a week since it was last started. I activated the pump for 2 or 3 seconds and then tried staring it and it fired right up. In the past I would have had to pour an ounce or so of gas in the carb to get it started.

My thanks to everyone that helped me work through this installation and teaching me about relays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom